Sponsored by:

991 GT3 LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I love the stylish look of the gray stitching with the aluminum trim, and the red is also very attractive. Just a matter of personal taste; can't go wrong either way.
I agree Mike. I have grey stitching in my GT3 right now and it looks great and it's holding up pretty good asnd no stain when I use leather conditioner. The red stitching will stain and its really flashy. Its past my age if you know what I mean. They paid a guy top $$ to design the interior and then we turn around want to change everything.The red seat belt was deleted on my order as well. If wish the seat belt was a litte wider! The other thing to consider is the red/yellow belt will show stain after a while specially yellow.

I have all the essentials in my order which is full leather, PCCB, lift and few other goodies such as blacked out PDL. All in all I added around $25K in accessories which isn't bad for all the stuff. I think the full leather is a good deal knowing all the workmanship that goes into it.

I saw the ultimate factory show and thought the leather work was awesome specially how they cut it with high pressure water. Who would have thought they cut the leather with high pressure H2O
Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be at the show in LA tomorrow afternoon. First time to actually see the car!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I agree Mike. I have grey stitching in my GT3 right now and it looks great and it's holding up pretty good asnd no stain when I use leather conditioner. The red stitching will stain and its really flashy. Its past my age if you know what I mean. They paid a guy top $$ to design the interior and then we turn around want to change everything.The red seat belt was deleted on my order as well. If wish the seat belt was a litte wider! The other thing to consider is the red/yellow belt will show stain after a while specially yellow.

I have all the essentials in my order which is full leather, PCCB, lift and few other goodies such as blacked out PDL. All in all I added around $25K in accessories which isn't bad for all the stuff. I think the full leather is a good deal knowing all the workmanship that goes into it.

I saw the ultimate factory show and thought the leather work was awesome specially how they cut it with high pressure water. Who would have thought they cut the leather with high pressure H2O
Sounds like we are on the same page, silverrules. I also had concerns about lighter colored belts showing soil as I experienced it with my old red Schroth harness. We're also at just about the same place with our options; the PCCB's, lift, and leather do put a significant crimp in the budget but like you, I'm happy I ordered them.

As for something flashy being "past your age", sadly I know exactly what you mean.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Can you guys talk a bit more about the staining red stitching? When does this happen?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can you guys talk a bit more about the staining red stitching? When does this happen?
Hey Calexio, I have never had red stitching so I am only going with what I have been told by my service advisor who has worked there for MANY years. I listen to him and trust the guy. He is my buddy

1)He mentioned that over time the color of stitching will change if the sun gets to it but then again everything else will discolor for that matter if you leave your car outside. Its what he is saying. IDK. If you really want it go for it. I would go with your heart says. So what if it discolors? You probably will sell it by then anyhow as you mentioned.

2)Now imagine you are rubbing the leather with the leather conditioner and the stuff gets on the red stitching. How will it impact the color IDK

3)The main reason i decided to remove this option was for me it was TOO busy and too flashy but then again everybody is different. I know after couple months I get tired of it. It always sticks out. Everybody is different though. I also had red gauges on my 1st build and it was later removed. I have the red dials on my boat and I cant wait to change it but haven't had time. It did look cool in the beginning
Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Had red deviated stitching against black leather seats on my current Porsche for 4 years and 45K miles. No major stains or discoloration.

I wouldn't let worries of discoloration stop you. Deviated red stitching is still an understated way of adding pop to your Porsche. I still loved looking at my seats 4 years later.

I wasn't originally going to get deviated red stitching for the GT3, but I've loved it so much on my other car, that it's hard not to. However, I'll still feel better if could look photos or an actual GT3 that has the red stitching before finalizing the decision.

Anybody know when the first US deliveries are supposed to take place? I may need to take a trip to look at someones GT3 before my order is locked in about 5 weeks.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-27-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default color threads used in stitching & other subjects

Hey Calexio, I have never had red stitching so I am only going with what I have been told by my service advisor who has worked there for MANY years. I listen to him and trust the guy. He is my buddy

1)He mentioned that over time the color of stitching will change if the sun gets to it but then again everything else will discolor for that matter if you leave your car outside. Its what he is saying. IDK. If you really want it go for it. I would go with your heart says. So what if it discolors? You probably will sell it by then anyhow as you mentioned.

2)Now imagine you are rubbing the leather with the leather conditioner and the stuff gets on the red stitching. How will it impact the color IDK
Originally Posted by Drifting
Had red deviated stitching against black leather seats on my current Porsche for 4 years and 45K miles. No major stains or discoloration.
I agree with 'Drifting' and sharply disagree with 'silverrules' service advisor. His thinking is dated. There are no worries with the synthetic, color-fast threads that Porsche uses for stitching on its interiors. It will not discolor, whether you apply leather conditioner to it or not. It will not tarnish, sully, spoil, mar or blemish any of your white bell bottom pants! One more thing. Even light color stitching, like white or silver, are stain resistant and will provide years of 'as new' look in relation to your leather interior. Here is a quote from an email I received from 'Porsche Exclusive/Germany' several years ago when I was considering ordering a car with deviating stitching in 'white':

"We did many cars with white thread, not only customer cars but also demonstration cars and we never hat big problems with the white thread. We now got a Boxster with blue interior and white stitching which we used for the Frankfurt Auto Show. Even at this car, where many visitors of the show had a seat, you do not see, how many people were test seating if you have a look at the stitching. The thread is kind of a synthetic material."

The threads being used by Porsche & their subcontractors are state of the art synthetic - whether its nylon, polyester or the newer PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). I have photos of the actual color threads which are given by the actual suppliers to Porsche for consideration by 'Porsche Exclusive' in their custom interiors. I have attached two of those photos below. Do not be afraid of deviating stitching. It is one of the most distinguishing characteristics in a bespoke Porsche interior, albeit at a cost!

Regarding the ongoing debate here between the two stitching colors offered on the 991 gt3, all I can say is that BOTH are winners. Please note that I believe that the standard no-cost stitching is a distinctive light color (silver in my eyes - see below) which is substantially better looking than the standard default 'Funeral Grey' (last photo) stitching on standard 991 black interiors. So whether you choose 'Silver' or the extra cost 'Red', you will end up with a better looking combo than most other 991 'schwarz' interiors!

For more helpful information on 'Custom Ordering' a 991 via 'Porsche Exclusive', I suggest you visit this thread here at Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images      
Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 AM
911dev
Drifting

^ agree completely.

Thank you for the link.

I like a little color in the interior, especially for this car. My last gt3 and this one will be white w/red belts and silver stitching on full leather. I simply prefer the silver. If red were free I'd still choose silver. I'll spend the $1,490 elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Red stitching provides richness to the interior. The last thing I want in a $150,000 car is an interior that looks like an interior found in a $50,000 car.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
Red stitching provides richness to the interior. The last thing I want in a $150,000 car is an interior that looks like an interior found in a $50,000 car.
Your subjective opinion of course. So, you're basically saying all of us choosing the silver stitch will have cheap looking interiors? Funny stuff.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Nicks opinion is subjective, but I agree with it. That's a one of the main reasons I'm doing red stitching in my GT3 which is a special and expensive car. It visually differentiates the car's interior from a regular Porsche. (And I think it particularly looks good in car with a guards red exterior)

I agree with Z356 that the interior car looks good with both threads, and I thank you for enlightening us that the standard thread on the GT3 is still something that doesn't come on a regular 911
Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drifting
Nicks opinion is subjective, but I agree with it. That's a one of the main reasons I'm doing red stitching in my GT3 which is a special and expensive car. It visually differentiates the car's interior from a regular Porsche. (And I think it particularly looks good in car with a guards red exterior)

I agree with Z356 that the interior car looks good with both threads, and I thank you for enlightening us that the standard thread on the GT3 is still something that doesn't come on a regular 911
Nothing about the silver stitching makes the GT3's interior look like that of a $50k car; my subjective opinion, of course.

That said, with the excellent mix of Alcantara and leather, in addition to the silver stitching, the GT3's full leather interior is much different from other 911s.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

3)The main reason i decided to remove this option was for me it was TOO busy and too flashy but then again everybody is different. I know after couple months I get tired of it. It always sticks out. Everybody is different though. I also had red gauges on my 1st build and it was later removed. I have the red dials on my boat and I cant wait to change it but haven't had time. It did look cool in the beginning
I've had contrast stitching in other cars and it did fade a bit from the sun, but not much - I guess they add some UV protection to the thread. Never had any issues with leather conditioner negatively impacting the colored thread. It does turn grayish on the steering wheel, especially when I do not was hands after adjusting tire pressures , but gentle rub with soapy water or leather cleaner restores the color.

Also, note that the car with the red stitching on the picture earlier in the thread has more leather options than just full leather, so it looks a bit busier than a car with just full leather and red stitching would.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Thanks Eduardo for the detail info as always. IMHO the best thing is to see if you can find a car and then decide if thats what you like. I saw the 991 TT-S that had red stitching and decided Grey.

Everybody is different and that what makes us all unique. Now since my interior will look like a $50K car maybe I should add some more option to get to $150K.

Happy thanks giving guys
Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I simply prefer the silver. If red were free I'd still choose silver. I'll spend the $1,490 elsewhere......So, you're basically saying all of us choosing the silver stitch will have cheap looking interiors? Funny stuff.
Absolutely +1

Hadn't realized red stitching was the defining factor for a classy interior. It's very nice if that's what you like and it's good to have a choice, but it's a preference, nothing more.......

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 LA Auto Show