Sponsored by:

991 GT3 LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Zeus: Is it 'Liquid Metal Chrome Blue' or 'Liquid Metal Silver'? There is no 'Liquid Metal Chrome Silver'. As you know, Porsche had a 'Liquid Metal Silver' example at the 918 track driving event that I attended at The Thermal Club last week (last photo below). I have checked at various sites in internet and I still don't have an official confirmation if the 918 currently (first two photos attached) at the LA Auto Show is 'Liquid Metal Chrome Blue', 'Liquid Metal Silver' (both $63K options) or 'GT Silver Metallic' (which in the 918 is a no-cost option).

Did you, or anyone that attended the LA Auto Show, specifically asked that question from a knowledgeable Porsche employee at the exhibition hall? From the photos, I would not be surprised if it's only 'GT Silver Metallic'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo, I stand corrected. The correct name of the the color is 'Liquid Metal Silver' without the added 'Chrome'.

I wish I remembered where I saw the newsbite... Some time ago, I was looking for pictures of this specific paint color on the internet, and one of the articles I came across mentioned that the 918 that was making the rounds at all the car shows was painted this special color for "maximum effect under the spotlight." Could have been an unconfirmed report, or just some journos' assumptions. And I suppose I assumed it as well. Sorry if I threw out some bad info there if I did.

I guess that says something about both paints if you can't tell them apart very easily? But as they say, lighting is everything.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

There was no one knowledgeable that I saw at the Porsche area at the auto show, but maybe it was dinner time. I think that was GT Silver on the 918. If not, we are talking about $63K thrown away, imho. I managed to get to the show on preview night, so I was able to spend quite some time around and inside the GT3. Really nice interior, with a combination of Alcantara and CF (if one wants to see a really tasteless use of CF, check out the RS7 at Audi). No red stitching. First time I saw the PDK shifter in Alcantara - nice. Paddles feel a lot harder than what you get in non-GT3's, so definitely a different feel there. Porsche tends to use silver as the predominant color in their stand and maybe this is why there was a (rhodium I guess) silver GT3 there. Nice engine cover in CF. I tend to agree that silver looks perhaps a little refined for GT3, but this could be "fixed" with yellow seat belts, for example (with PCCB's), or red (w/o PCCB). Regardless, overall, apart from the 918, the GT3 was the star of the Porsche stand, so congrats to those who secured an allocation. GT3 called a lot ore attention than the white cabrio with red interior right next to it.

As a quick side note, a lot of attention to Macan - they will likely sell lots of those, and soon we might have to wait in line to get one attention a the Porsche dealer.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Did the car have full leather and carbon package? Did it make a significant difference from normal? I like the look of the aluminum trim but would spring for the cf if it made a big difference.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the new CF from Porsche. We got it in our Cayenne GTS and it looks really good. I ordered it with full leather on my GT3. If you search GT3 on youtube, look for the Geneva show. That car had full leather, red stitching and CF interior. Looks really great IMHO.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I saw a lot of cars on that evening, but I am 99% sure it was full leather. The combination of carbon fiber and Alcantara is the best I have seen. I have aluminum on mine, but it seems that cf and Alcantara reinforce each other. I would not think twice, but maybe my opinion is biased since I've had aluminum and leather for quite some time now. I agree that the new Porsche cf is awesome (there was a Cayenne Turbo S with full cf package that was stunning as well, but at $188 K msrp, however). I was surprised to see the cf in the engine compartment when I opened it - very nice. Overall, for what I saw, I would go for the options I really want to make this a (more) special car. I have been following the threads and magazine articles on this car, and I felt it was better in person than what I expected (and I did not even hear the engine running...).
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Based on the interior pics on page one of this thread it's full leather. You can see the tell-tale stitching on the dash and doors, and extra alcantera on the lower dash and door panels.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 643 Posts

Anyone have a picture of an actual GT3 interior that has the red stitching and the CF package?

I finally decided to get a Guards Red GT3 and opted for the deviated red stitching and red seat belts. The red stitching looks great and appropriate for a special car like the GT3 in the photos I've seen. However, I'm debating about adding carbon fiber to this. It almost looks too busy, with too many things going on to have black leather, red stitching, then carbon fiber trim, then alcantara glovebox.

I think the CF would look nice with the leather and alcantara (without the red stitching package), but I think there are too many contrasts if you have 4 different colors and textures next one another if you get the leather interior, which has lots of alcantra, the red stitching, and CF.

If anyone has an actual picture of all of that together, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is one....
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I know this is heresy to some, and totally subjective, but I'm glad I passed on the red stitching....
Old 11-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I know this is heresy to some, and totally subjective, but I'm glad I passed on the red stitching....
Not heresy, but why did you pass on it? Particularly, with a guards red exterior like you ordered your car? I have red deviated red stitching on the seats of a previous Guards Red boxster with a black interior, and it gave the car interior a nice extra pop, and brought the exterior into the car, causing the interior to feel more special.

I don't think I would have ordered the red stitching with just any exterior color.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-26-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Here is one....
Thanks for that pic. It confirmed my suspicions. CF + leather + alcantara + red stitching is too much

Do you have a pic of the GT3 interior using the red stitching, but no CF?

Now mike is making me reconsider my decision.........

By the way, where did you find this last pic. When I google this all I can find are the pics from Car and Driver, etc. Unless I missed it, I don't think one of those is a photo of the standard leather interior with red stitching.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-26-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went back and forth on red stitching and finally removed it. The STD grey looks perfect. I also played around with leather trimming on doors and center console but after visiting the dealer again and seeing the Alu finish on some of the cars I went back to the STD Alu trimming. It breaks up the leather. To upgrade toCF trimming on the doors and center console the cost was $2100 but it does look really nice. I saw the CF trimming on a 991 TTS and it was perfect but based on my previous experience with CF lifting after couple of years I decided not to go the CF route. This is a known issue with CF. After a few years they start coming loose and replacement cost is not cheap.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Here is one....
Thanks for that pic. It confirmed my suspicions. CF + leather + alcantara + red stitching is too much

Do you have a pic of the GT3 interior using the red stitching, but no CF?

Now mike is making me reconsider my decision.........

By the way, where did you find this last pic. When I google this all I can find are the pics from Car and Driver, etc. Unless I missed it, I don't think one of those is a photo of the standard leather interior with red stitching.
I love it. That is a picture from the Geneva show I mentioned above. I love the combo and ordered it exactly

http://youtu.be/XTO9fsDRUFc
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
Not heresy, but why did you pass on it? Particularly, with a guards red exterior?
Aside from being concerned about matching the seats if I got aftermarket sport buckets, I just felt the red stitching made the interior a bit busy and didn't compliment some of the other design elements. To me, deviating red stitching seems more appropriate to an Italian or even English car than a serious German one, especially a GT3. Seeing the pic above reinforced my feeling.

It's completely subjective and I wouldn't question anyone's choice to get the red stitching, but it just didn't quite do it for me.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Aside from being concerned about matching the seats if I got aftermarket sport buckets, I just felt the red stitching made the interior a bit busy and didn't compliment some of the other design elements. To me, deviating red stitching seems more appropriate to an Italian or even English car than a serious German one, especially a GT3. Seeing the pic above reinforced my feeling.
Interesting. I agree this looks more Italian. The standard Ferrari 458 interior is basically done like this, but without the alacantara.
The standard and advertised 458 interior has black leather with red deviated stitching and CF accents.

If my business continues at its current path, I may get a 458 in a couple years, and I personally love the look of the 458 interior.

I think Porsche could learn a few things about style from Ferrari and Ferrari could learn a lot about reliability from Porsche.

Regarding your 2nd to last sentence. I don't want to think of my incoming GT3 as serious. Guards Red is playful and intense, but not serious.

If I got a serious color like one of the silvers, then I would not have opted for the red stitching.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-27-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 LA Auto Show