Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That guy's driving was a joke. And they even put this stuff on youtube as if there was nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it shows even a spastic can get 7.32 at the Ring in the new 991 GT3. As they said easier to drive for non driving gods.....must say it looks like it might work too with a blindfold LOL!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know my blvd driving techniques can score me a 7:32.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

try that in a 997. he'd have been in the wall.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Whether his hand positioning or smoothness is not to the liking of some, he certainly knows how to drive based on the corrections and catches without lifting off the gas... Maybe this is why the comments about the cars handling beyond 95%??? maybe it's break away makes you look like you're driving retarded??? Just saying...

I remember people criticizing Timo Glock's heel toe when doing his 4.0RS lap as being none existent but it didn't seem to stop him smashing out a 7.27...Maybe they just know a little better than us

Last edited by 911rox; 10-20-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 AM
luffe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911rox
Whether his hand positioning or smoothness is not to the liking of some, he certainly knows how to drive based on the corrections and catches without lifting off the gas... Maybe this is why the comments about the cars handling beyond 95%??? maybe it's break away makes you look like you're driving retarded??? Just saying...

I remember people criticizing Timo Glock's heel toe when doing his 4.0RS lap as being none existent but it didn't seem to stop him smashing out a 7.27...Maybe they just know a little better than us
I agree. This guy obviously knows how to drive. Looks like he's on an ordinary sunday drive, while still doing 10/10...!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:45 AM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by luffe
I agree. This guy obviously knows how to drive. Looks like he's on an ordinary sunday drive, while still doing 10/10...!
the driver is horst von saurma, he does all the supertests for sportauto. the consensus is that he is an excellent driver.
i am worried about his comments of the GT3 being edgy at the limit.
peter
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by markow
the driver is horst von saurma, he does all the supertests for sportauto. the consensus is that he is an excellent driver.
i am worried about his comments of the GT3 being edgy at the limit.
peter
Consensus by who? It looked like he has some skill but was applying it very lazily. Messy inputs.

Put Nick Tandy or Patrick Long in the car.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
That guy's driving was a joke. And they even put this stuff on youtube as if there was nothing wrong with it.
His driving reminds me of the laps I did with Marco Werner, 3x Le Mans champion. Whereas the comments here - generally, smooth is fast - remind me of the conventional logic espoused by DE instructors.

I suspect what's going on here is that many of you mistake the guidance from your DE instructors as being gospel on all-out pace. It isn't. The reality is that 'smooth is fast' is safe, repeatable, and easy on the equipment. This is why it is taught. For all-out speed over a single lap, one must be right at the limit and that means occasionally being slightly over.

Watch the hands of the really fast pro-drivers (YouTube 'Leh Keen' for example) and you will see they are constantly applying very small steering inputs - the same with the throttle - to keep the car right at the very edge of the traction circle. You can't achieve this with one steering input and one throttle position.

Anyway, the guy is clearly a fantastic driver albeit a bit wild. He is either side of the limit most of the lap, you can see that from the movement of the car and the lines he's taking - he's running the car up on the curbing feet away from concrete barriers with a level of calm that made me laugh.

If any of you old farts think you're faster, you're delusional. Like all but one or two DE participants (usually not driving Porsches, never driving Ferraris...) on any given day, you're in reality only driving at only 8/10ths. And while smooth that is not fast whether your instructor tells you it is or not.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan39
His driving reminds me of the laps I did with Marco Werner, 3x Le Mans champion. Whereas the comments here - generally, smooth is fast - remind me of the conventional logic espoused by DE instructors.

I suspect what's going on here is that many of you mistake the guidance from your DE instructors as being gospel on all-out pace. It isn't. The reality is that 'smooth is fast' is safe, repeatable, and easy on the equipment. This is why it is taught. For all-out speed over a single lap, one must be right at the limit and that means occasionally being slightly over.

Watch the hands of the really fast pro-drivers (YouTube 'Leh Keen' for example) and you will see they are constantly applying very small steering inputs - the same with the throttle - to keep the car right at the very edge of the traction circle. You can't achieve this with one steering input and one throttle position.

Anyway, the guy is clearly a fantastic driver albeit a bit wild. He is either side of the limit most of the lap, you can see that from the movement of the car and the lines he's taking - he's running the car up on the curbing feet away from concrete barriers with a level of calm that made me laugh.

If any of you old farts think you're faster, you're delusional. Like all but one or two DE participants (usually not driving Porsches, never driving Ferraris...) on any given day, you're in reality only driving at only 8/10ths. And while smooth that is not fast whether your instructor tells you it is or not.
I suggest you opt out of sweeping generalizations of the driving calibre on this forum. You've got all sorts.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

just my worthless two cents.
ring time has become too important. my dick is 2 mm longer than yours, so i am better in bed....
all this time discussion is way to cerebral. perhaps, some of you buy cars based on how fast they are.
but if so, zR1 is pretty fast, sure it blows up, but it's fast...
and some other monsters cars out there are probably fast too....
all this disappointment seems premature.
i plan to wait until car shows up.
i go see it, touch it, sit in it, hear it, smell it....
if my pants get tight, i will drive it home. if not, then i wont.
i dont really know how many hp or tq or max rpm my gt3's got. i dont really care. it makes me smile then good enough....

now who will get the first car in norcal? i need to borrow it for a week.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
Consensus by who? It looked like he has some skill but was applying it very lazily. Messy inputs.

Put Nick Tandy or Patrick Long in the car.
With the greatest of respect, he may have been out for a **** stir taking the car to the limit on some practice laps to see how it responds... We don't know that its the official lap, just a snippet of track vid...
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I suggest you opt out of sweeping generalizations of the driving calibre on this forum.
+1
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Disapointed by SA-test --> yes
Seeing someone doing fast laps without helmet --> no go (kills reputation for SA in my opinion; but HvS is not heading SA anymore so maybe all will be good)
test drove the car this week. Disapointet --> NOT AT ALL!
Big surprise --> I even liked PDK (I am an Autobox hater )
Final simple conclusion --> I will order one
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
test drove the car this week. Disapointet --> NOT AT ALL!
Big surprise --> I even liked PDK (I am an Autobox hater )
Final simple conclusion --> I will order
Ok ... before we all call you a tease what else can you share? Test drive on the street? On a track? How spirited was the drive? Critique the car ...

Ugh ... I despise waiting.

Ryan

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!