Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Slicks on 991 GT3!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has told me a few times that the Porsches in the US are about the cheapest sold. China, Dubai, Russia, they pay at least twice as much for the same car. So it's not surprising that Porsche thinks of those markets. It is surprising that we still get quite a few cars.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
I'm not sure what the issue is here. Porsche will not warranty track related issues at all, as I understand it. Slicks are only used at the track, so any problems they might cause would already be excluded from coverage. Now, if you want to ride around your neighborhood on slicks...
That's not the issue. Porsche never would have warrantied such things (out loud) though the dealer network from what I have seen is far more forgiving than the internet. Our local dealers actually perform track preparation.

The issue is them building a car, touting lap times, advertising it on the track with videos and pictures, and then banning one of the primary things that goes along with tracking. Track tires.

The question is why, not that there is a legitimate answer, but it's still a downgrade from previous generations because they never came out and said NO SLICKS.

I bet you a manual 991 GT3 on slicks with no PDK and no RWS would be significantly faster.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by modifier
I hope someone can come up with a viable reason for this. Buzz kill. Pretty bad call from Porsche imo. Kind of like PCCBs not being fit for track use.

Sometimes. Those Germans. : /
Its PCCB with traction control.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The vette is looking more interesting.

Time to get out the gold chain and pinky ring.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
My dealer has told me a few times that the Porsches in the US are about the cheapest sold. China, Dubai, Russia, they pay at least twice as much for the same car. So it's not surprising that Porsche thinks of those markets. It is surprising that we still get quite a few cars.
This is because of import tax and does not affect Porsche bottom line. The Chinese government collects the difference.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

For technical accuracy, you should start the following statement with "I suspect". There is no proof (yet, that I've read) that Gs are the reason Porsche has said no slicks, and there are alternate explanations. Just trying to keep the line between opinion and fact clear.
Originally Posted by wanna911
The bottom line is that the car has an issue with the high G's, so to Porsche, they might as well be equal.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this "no slicks" stuff actually published somewhere?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petevb
For technical accuracy, you should start the following statement with "I suspect". There is no proof (yet, that I've read) that Gs are the reason Porsche has said no slicks, and there are alternate explanations. Just trying to keep the line between opinion and fact clear.
What other viable options are there?

This is not tire size related or they would have said no 3xx/xx/20 tires on the car.

The only viable reason to single out slicks is grip. Otherwise there is nothing a slick offers that other tires dont.

What am I overlooking?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
Is this "no slicks" stuff actually published somewhere?
Bob mentions it in the first post in this thread. No facts since, a lot of speculation; some of it reasoned, some of it not.....

^^This. 6 pages full of conclusions and assumptions with VERY few facts.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hasn't the current 9A1 been run on slicks by one or more teams already? I recall seeing .2 Carrera turned race cars at the track. That said, how would the 991 gt3 have any oil starvation issues given its true dry sump v. integrated sump and host of other race proven parts (gt3)?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

For example, I suggested one possiblility back on page 2 here

I can think of a few other possible reasons. I'd actually be a little surprised if this is simply a G loading issue, but that's only an educated guess.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

For example, I suggested one possiblility back on page 2 here

I can think of a few other possible reasons. I'd actually be a little surprised if this is simply a G loading issue, but that's only an educated guess.
A suggestion or recommendation does not sound like what this is. Slicks will cause issues with almost any stock suspension. As evident in the reported changes Porsche made to the RS they ran in the 24 hr. Porsche would not be responsible for any issues.

Porsche recommends new caliper bolts with every rotor change. This does not sound like the same scenario.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

This is not tire size related or they would have said no 3xx/xx/20 tires on the car.

The only viable reason to single out slicks is grip. Otherwise there is nothing a slick offers that other tires dont.

What am I overlooking?
All speculation but viable options that come to mind (some of which you've covered) include:

- load factors exceeding capacity of RWS and/or center-locks
- slick grip levels wreaking havoc with PTV and/or eDiff algorithms
- simple CYA exercise from legal designed to cover them from a liability standpoint and/or dissuade owner's from aggressive tracking
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

A suggestion or recommendation does not sound like what this is.... This does not sound like the same scenario.
Perfectly valid opinion.

Personally I'll wait until we at least see Porsche's statement in writing before commenting further on what this sounds like. Like I said, just trying to keep opinions distinct from and facts.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Thats what I was saying. Pete is talking about things not caused by the grip of the slicks.

Your third reason as a scare tactic could be a possibility. But this seems a bit extreme. They had to find something out from trying.

For a company that claims that 80% of the owners of this car track them. This is a travesty.

Quick Reply: No Slicks on 991 GT3!!