Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I'm trying to figure out what is pissing off diehards? The fact that owners will only be driving the new gt3 in auto mode or the fact that there is no clutch pedal anymore?
The fact that the PDK has a very disconnected feel in comparison to a manual or true racing transmission.

Speaking for myself, if they can get PDK to feel like the air shifters in a prototype-style race car, or like the sequential in my open-wheel car, I'm in. Today's PDK, though, still doesn't have that feel - it's like driving a Playstation shifter, not like a physical connection to the gearbox. It would appear that this is important to a number of potential customers.

Let's also keep in mind that the Porsche enthusiast customer base is a fairly "type-A" group of people. They get uptight about small details - and those details can override total performance, value, and a whole lot of other things that may not appear rational to a German design engineer. That's who they're trying to sell to, though.

Perhaps Porsche has seen the success of the Cayenne and decided that this is the path they need to go down - mass-market automotive jewelry for gated communities. Personally, I hope not; Porsche's marketing staff may not agree with me.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
False, I have repeatedly said the car looks fantastic. I like the motor, contrary to one of the more prevalent complaints of the car. I'm a huge fan of the chassis (notably wheelbase increase). In fact I like everything about the new GT3 (went as far as calling it the best car ever minus two maybe three things) except RWS, Certerlocks, 20's and PDK. Do I need to repost them so you can see how far your foot is in your mouth?

Could it be that you are so blinded by your emotions regarding the car you can't see that the reason people are so upset is that they love the car but just refuse to settle for it being dumbed down an sold out for the masses. When all along the car has represented just the opposite (for the most part)?

My point in bringing that up was simply that you are the most intolerant of others point of view. Which you have so reluctantly help me prove.

Thanks.

Brilliant insightful post.
I agree though I don't mind rws, the car would rock if it had 18" 5 lugs and MT or if they some how took the DCT and added a clutch pedal and manual gear selector so both ways could be done.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,576 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I agree though I don't mind rws, the car would rock if it had 18" 5 lugs and MT or if they some how took the DCT and added a clutch pedal and manual gear selector so both ways could be done.
+1

And of course we need to have the option of proper track seats.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Using advanced technology like PDK-S is dumbing down a high performance car?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
If the goal is to create a highly interactive performance driving experience, yes it is. If your goal is to create the fastest possible 0-60 spec sheet, not it isn't.

Corrolary: Some would say that the iPod and low-bitrate MP3s are a great new advanced technology that allows unprecedented portability and an easy sales transaction model. Others would say that they are a disaster, because their market impact is making it that much harder to find audio media that actually sounds good. Both would be correct from their respective viewpoints.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Assuming "high performance" was your main yardstick, which one of the these GT3's would you choose:

1. Manual transmission
2. PDK-S @ 0.3sec faster laptime than #1,
3. PDK-S + GoogleDrive, where you sit IN the car and do nothing @ 0.3sec faster laptime than #2,
4. PDK-S + GoogleDrive, where you sit OUT of the car and watch the action on a screen @ 0.2sec faster laptime than #3

Why?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, dumbed down so that anyone can master it. Just put it in auto. The dumbed down part is what is required of the driver, who would be the dummy in the equation.

Ever see (language/program/process) For Dummies? The idea is to make learning and mastering as easy as possible.

Get the point yet?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you guys know by now that its only coming in PDK-S. i think we are past the point of hoping they might change their minds. With that said, what are your other options. Just curious to know what is another good sports car.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

'Vette, 'maro, 'stang, Snake car, Audi, M3/4, 911S/Turbo, future GTS, Cayman/Boxster, WRX, MX-5 etc
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Dude-
I hope you guys know by now that its only coming in PDK-S. i think we are past the point of hoping they might change their minds. With that said, what are your other options. Just curious to know what is another good sports car.
Viper?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Yep, dumbed down so that anyone can master it. Just put it in auto. The dumbed down part is what is required of the driver, who would be the dummy in the equation.

Ever see (language/program/process) For Dummies? The idea is to make learning and mastering as easy as possible.

Get the point yet?
Oh I get it. Many of you are under the delusion that using MT makes you better drivers. Talk about being clueless.

Hey, whatever makes you happy.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I get it. Many of you are under the delusion that using MT makes you better drivers. Talk about being clueless.

Hey, whatever makes you happy.
Hmm requiring more skill to go fast? Yeah that could have that effect.

And we are under the dillusion that most of the better drivers prefer manuals.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Hmm requiring more skill to go fast? Yeah that could have that effect.

And we are under the dillusion that most of the better drivers prefer manuals.
You mean more skill to go slower?

BTW, your comment indicating the better drivers prefer MT speaks volumes as to how MT advocates think and believe. I cannot think of anything more debilitating than self delusion.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodbuster
What is next, are they going to delete the paddles, and let the trans do all the shifting without driver participation of any sort?
This is what's next: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-limiters.html
Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

False, I have repeatedly said the car looks fantastic. I like the motor, contrary to one of the more prevalent complaints of the car. I'm a huge fan of the chassis (notably wheelbase increase). In fact I like everything about the new GT3 (went as far as calling it the best car ever minus two maybe three things) except RWS, Certerlocks, 20's and PDK. Do I need to repost them so you can see how far your foot is in your mouth?

Could it be that you are so blinded by your emotions regarding the car you can't see that the reason people are so upset is that they love the car but just refuse to settle for it being dumbed down an sold out for the masses. When all along the car has represented just the opposite (for the most part)?

My point in bringing that up was simply that you are the most intolerant of others point of view. Which you have so reluctantly help me prove.
There's a difference between tolerance and agreement. Although it wasn't clear before, if I'm to believe what you're now saying, I assume you tolerate my POV although you disagree with it. Fair enough. It's exactly the same for me with regard to most of your posts. Also, I really do get why you and others feel the way you do. I'm not at all blinded. Everyone has repeatedly made their reasons very clear, although that doesn't mean that I think all of the conclusions you've reached are valid.

One thing that I honestly didn't get was that you were one of those who "love the car". You said just a few posts back in this thread (post #130) that you "have not started a single thread in this section (as I don't have much good to say)" (italics added). At the time, that seemed completely accurate based on my recollection of your posting history in this forum. Yet now you're saying that you "like everything about the new GT3", going so far as to call it "the best car ever minus two maybe three things". That seems to be wildly inconsistent, although it would be rude to suggest it went as far as putting your foot in your mouth. If I've been wrong about your admiration for the 991 GT3, my bad. Maybe, though, you can understand why there might be confusion regarding your feelings and posts about the car.

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs