Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Here's the normal page link:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rsche_911_gt3/

MPSC2 tires. Sport Cup 2. Others where Dunlops.
Those calipers are straight off a freight train (or Panamera Turbo ... ? ... same same)

The Calipers are the same as the 918's...

Old 07-29-2013, 12:57 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The Sport Cup 2 in that photo has a treadwear rating of 150. The Dunlop Sport Maxx Race has a treadwear rating of 80. This may affect a car's classification, if the effective classifications are based on PCA rules, which state that a treadwear rating of 140 or greater is considered a street tire.

Last edited by alpine-al; 07-30-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Good and very informative article, thanks!

Now the $64k question... where on earth are we gonna find track tires? That's not a lot of clearance in that front 20" barrel... from the looks of it the 19" CLs of old will not clear that caliper...

Nobody presently makes any sort of non-DOT semi-slicks (or slicks) in 20" AFAIK...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Good and very informative article, thanks!

Now the $64k question... where on earth are we gonna find track tires? That's not a lot of clearance in that front 20" barrel... from the looks of it the 19" CLs of old will not clear that caliper...

Nobody presently makes any sort of non-DOT semi-slicks (or slicks) in 20" AFAIK...
Maybe not slicks but here are 2 r-comp tires available with a treadwear rating of 60:

The good:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o+Corsa+System

And the better:
http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by De47nise
Link not working.
It seems to be working on this computer. Maybe a browser issue? Here's the text of the link
automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1307_2014_porsche_911_gt3
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Fair and balanced article but the following sentence makes me question whether the author has actually ever pushed a GT3 hard on track....

"In the older cars, you had to really mind the front tires and be patient getting back on the power exiting a corner."
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Fair and balanced article but the following sentence makes me question whether the author has actually ever pushed a GT3 hard on track....

"In the older cars, you had to really mind the front tires and be patient getting back on the power exiting a corner."
Maybe he hasn't, but FWIW he seems to be referring more or less to the same behavior of the previous GT3 that Chris Harris talked about in his 991 GT3 video at the 6:00 mark:

"Front axle grip at times wasn't what you wanted it to be...... you found you had a lot of understeer (and) getting the car into a corner was a problem. You had quite an aggressive differential that added to that understeer but then gave you quite severe oversteer afer that neutral point. So the front axle of the car was always a bit of a problem."
Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that's exactly what he was trying to articulate. Its been talked about in most reviews and has always been a noticeable weakness of the 911 up to the 991 gen when pushing on.

I don't believe we have seen any track reviews yet. Infact I understand that no one has had long enough access to the car yet to whisk it away for a few days to their favorite test track and put it up against its predecessor and is competitors but I believe these reviews will be coming in the next few weeks...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe he hasn't, but FWIW he seems to be referring more or less to the same behavior of the previous GT3 that Chris Harris talked about in his 991 GT3 video at the 6:00 mark:

"Front axle grip at times wasn't what you wanted it to be...... you found you had a lot of understeer (and) getting the car into a corner was a problem. You had quite an aggressive differential that added to that understeer but then gave you quite severe oversteer afer that neutral point. So the front axle of the car was always a bit of a problem."
From the superficial content of the rest of that piece at Autocar, I think you're identifying the source of the writers comment -- not from actual experience or opinion, just from parroting what's already been said for years. Anyway, the RS 3.8 doesn't exhibit that same "too little until it's too much" front grip (characteristic of all 911's, to some degree) and it can be dialed out almost completely. I took Harris to be referring to the prior GT3's, not the RS. Even the 991 Carrera S has no problem with front end grip, it's really one of the strengths of the car that it can load up and go round on rails and pour down all its power (it's only PASM that upsets the suspension and causes the car to start skating like it was bitch slapped*)

* this completely inappropriate description courtesy of Troy Queef ... and yes, I find it alarming that I'm prepared to type the word "queef" on a public forum ... : \
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

From the superficial content of the rest of that piece at Autocar, I think you're identifying the source of the writers comment -- not from actual experience or opinion, just from parroting what's already been said for years. Anyway, the RS 3.8 doesn't exhibit that same "too little until it's too much" front grip (characteristic of all 911's, to some degree) and it can be dialed out almost completely. I took Harris to be referring to the prior GT3's, not the RS. Even the 991 Carrera S has no problem with front end grip, it's really one of the strengths of the car that it can load up and go round on rails and pour down all its power (it's only PASM that upsets the suspension and causes the car to start skating like it was bitch slapped*)

* this completely inappropriate description courtesy of Troy Queef ... and yes, I find it alarming that I'm prepared to type the word "queef" on a public forum ... : \
I think the quote in question was from the Automobile Magazine article, not the Autocar puff-piece.

Regardless, I have no idea if the writer was parroting Harris or not but it really doesn't matter. His comments were very similar to CH's who does have track experience and shares the same POV; that's the point I was trying to make. Since CH's review and the Automobile Mag review were all about the GT3 I wouldn't think the RS was in the conversation either.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Bingo
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think the quote in question was from the Automobile Magazine article, not the Autocar puff-piece.

Regardless, I have no idea if the writer was parroting Harris or not but it really doesn't matter. His comments were very similar to CH's who does have track experience and shares the same POV; that's the point I was trying to make. Since CH's review and the Automobile Mag review were all about the GT3 I wouldn't think the RS was in the conversation either.
OK, I got those two reversed. My mistake. Also, I wasn't debating the point, just the depth of real credibility in any given rocking chair and keyboard journo just parroting the likes of the Harris Monkey.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

OK, I got those two reversed. My mistake. Also, I wasn't debating the point, just the depth of real credibility in any given rocking chair and keyboard journo just parroting the likes of the Harris Monkey.
Fair enough. FWIW, the author of the quote in question and the Automobile article, Marc Noordeloos, does have some car cred:

Managing Director Fox Motorsports
March 2009 – Present

Automobile Magazine Road Test Editor
May 2005 – March 2009

Team Manager
Jade Pig Racing
January 1998 – May 2005

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-31-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Since when are Porsche's exciting at regular speeds? All the ones I have owned required being near the limit to get the excitement out of the car. This is where Ferrari trumps Porsche big time. You do not have to drive a Ferrari nears its limit to feel the joy of the car. Even at regular speeds, Ferrari's provide stimulation.
Agree 100%. My biggest issue with GT3 was the same exact one. At normal road speeds in USA , its boring. Scud or even 430 or Lotus is very exciting at any speed.

Before anyone asks , i owned a 997.2 GT3 and put 5000 miles. I also have 15k miles on F430 and Scud combined. I want to buy the new Gt3 , but article about engagement is concerning.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine