Sponsored by:

New GT3 on order thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Very complete build, Ryan. It will be a great, terrific looking car. Just a small suggestion (even though you didn't ask for any ). You might consider doing the Interior Package in Leather ($790) and Center Console Trim in Leather ($300) which covers the brushed aluminum trim. In my mind, having both the red deviating stitching and the aluminum trim might make the interior look a bit busy with conflicting design elements vying for attention. Without the aluminum trim, the red stitching would be even more dramatic. Just a thought. Personally I skipped the red stitching and felt the aluminum trim and gray stitching would work OK together. All completely subjective, of course.
Mike, did you do the full leather though? This is the toughest option choice for me. I like alcantara but I don't like the idea of it being more difficult to clean and easier to wear out.

It also seems a complete rip-off, which I hate. I mean, I know the money is insignificant when you're already spending so much, it's just annoying that they so blatantly over-charge for this option.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Mike, did you do the full leather though? This is the toughest option choice for me. I like alcantara but I don't like the idea of it being more difficult to clean and easier to wear out.

It also seems a complete rip-off, which I hate. I mean, I know the money is insignificant when you're already spending so much, it's just annoying that they so blatantly over-charge for this option.
I did, Dan. I've had it on all of my Porsches and although it's pricey, it's still the best leather option "value", IMO, and adds a lot to the look and feel of the interior, especially on the dash and doors. There are other individual leather options that I do feel are a rip off.

The biggest wear areas are the seat and steering wheel and you're going to get alcantera seat cushions regardless of whether you order full leather. For the wheel you can get it in leather instead of alcantera with the no cost option #840. The other alcantera pieces that come with full leather are in places where wear and dirt hopefully won't be a big issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Hey folks,
I want to cross check my data with those of you with 991GT3's on order...My dealer told me today (finally) that my car is a November Build, December/ January delivery...

1) Anyone getting their cars before this in the US?
2) Do you have your spec finalized yet? -- I sort of do, but I guess I can still change it?!

I don't remember this much hype when I was ordering past cars...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Your schedule is the same as mine. There is one poster who thinks he may have an October build but he needs to verify with his dealer. Everyone else I've seen post here is November or later. With your build date you can probably make changes at least through September though my sales rep says he's seen orders lock earlier than expected. My spec was "final" but I actually made a small tweak to it today.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Mike in CA -- Okay...interest is piqued now...what "small tweak?"
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion Full Leather is an absolute must, Interior looks cheap without it. Too much plastic; kind of mono-chromatic plastic interior if you will. With that said, the aluminum trim is a nice off-set breaking up the the black interior. Substituting leather trim pieces where the aluminum once was is an ill-fated event. Either go with the red deviated stitch or stay with the cream colored stitch. Either way keep the alum. trim and go for full leather. Skip the remaining over-priced leather tid-bits.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Your schedule is the same as mine. There is one poster who thinks he may have an October build but he needs to verify with his dealer. Everyone else I've seen post here is November or later. With your build date you can probably make changes at least through September though my sales rep says he's seen orders lock earlier than expected. My spec was "final" but I actually made a small tweak to it today.
Thank you...so everything matches to what I was told (I actually know and trust my long term dealer...but just checking). My spec is pretty simple. I did add Black wheels since it was not available when we "built" the car 2 months ago.

Question: Did you do "paint to sample"? This is what I am thinking but I am afraid to make it too complicated...I will ask tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@Mike in CA -- Okay...interest is piqued now...what "small tweak?"
Been thinking about whether I should add dimming mirrors/rain sensing wipers and Sport Chrono (Unlike many, I like the look of the clock "wart" on the dash). Thought about it so much I figured I must actually want them, and would regret skipping them, so I added to my order. I need the order process to lock before I find ways to spend more money.

Originally Posted by 911dev
Substituting leather trim pieces where the aluminum once was is an ill-fated event.
Have you had a bad experience with substituting leather for the aluminum trim in the past?

Originally Posted by Igooz
Question: Did you do "paint to sample"? This is what I am thinking but I am afraid to make it too complicated...I will ask tomorrow.
No Paint To Sample; my car will be Guards Red. PTS isn't currently listed as an option in the configurator for the GT3; I don't know when it will be approved. On a regular Carrera a 6 month lead time is required for PTS.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Thanks...I just want Orange! I will call them tomorrow...otherwise, back to White.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

I did, Dan. I've had it on all of my Porsches and although it's pricey, it's still the best leather option "value", IMO, and adds a lot to the look and feel of the interior, especially on the dash and doors. There are other individual leather options that I do feel are a rip off.

The biggest wear areas are the seat and steering wheel and you're going to get alcantera seat cushions regardless of whether you order full leather. For the wheel you can get it in leather instead of alcantera with the no cost option #840. The other alcantera pieces that come with full leather are in places where wear and dirt hopefully won't be a big issue.
100% right on.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
In my opinion Full Leather is an absolute must, Interior looks cheap without it. Too much plastic; kind of mono-chromatic plastic interior if you will. With that said, the aluminum trim is a nice off-set breaking up the the black interior. Substituting leather trim pieces where the aluminum once was is an ill-fated event. Either go with the red deviated stitch or stay with the cream colored stitch. Either way keep the alum. trim and go for full leather. Skip the remaining over-priced leather tid-bits.
This good, thx. Same to you, Mike.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
JEI-Porsche
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SoCal Build Sheet - not sure about PCCB

I am number two at a SoCal dealer and should see the car later this year. I attached a screenshot of my build; going back and forth on the PCCB's. I do not intend to keep it for very long and am building it from a perspective of resale, assuming that this being the non-rs with comfort seats that it will appeal more to someone who wants a fast street car / frequent driver kind of car.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
I am number two at a SoCal dealer and should see the car later this year. I attached a screenshot of my build; going back and forth on the PCCB's. I do not intend to keep it for very long and am building it from a perspective of resale, assuming that this being the non-rs with comfort seats that it will appeal more to someone who wants a fast street car / frequent driver kind of car.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I don't see PCM/NAV on your list. It's a no-cost option if you get the $700 Sound Package which you have already ordered. That will change the Sport Chrono to a different option number as well(same price). Word from my sales rep and other posters is that the fire extinguisher is tiny on a plastic mounting; not worth $140. I'd personally stay away from colored dials. For one thing the hi-res screen in the instrument pod will still have a black background which won't match the other dials, but TEHO.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I love PCCB and I always get PCCB....but from resale do not order PCCB...
Most buyers are afraid PCCB and what if the rotors were abused and replacement costs are $3k+ per wheel end and.......I have seen this for 10+ years now...
So the $9200 up front charge will be impossible to recoup....
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM
JEI-Porsche
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Mike, you are absolutely right, option 639 should be option 640 (sport chromo i.c.w. PCM), it's a no brainer. Good feedback on the fire extinguisher too - I'll do some research on that. Thank you

Last edited by JEI-Porsche; 07-26-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: will repost with quote

Quick Reply: New GT3 on order thread