991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I can see manual being more entertaining to drive outside of the track and do not dispute that. Although on such powerful cars as the new GT3, shifting is not really necessary, other than for fuel economy. Most legal speeds can be achieved on 2nd gear, and how many of manual GT3 drivers need to downshift to 1st for acceleration in city driving? Still, it's probably more entertaining to have the manual to play with.
IMO, this is an argument for limiting manual to 6 speeds.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
OMG. We're doing this again....
C'mon Mike, the protest won't end until (a) they relent and offer manual, (b) it becomes absolutely certain that manual is gone forever in the GT3, or (c) lots of people drive the PDK-S and the vast majority conclude that there's no need for manual because the PDK-S is better. None of these points has been reached yet.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
C'mon Mike, the protest won't end until (a) they relent and offer manual, (b) it becomes absolutely certain that manual is gone forever in the GT3, or (c) lots of people drive the PDK-S and the vast majority conclude that there's no need for manual because the PDK-S is better. None of these points has been reached yet.
Well Manifold, I've had as much experience as almost anybody here with manuals and much more than most with PDK, and based on that experience I've already concluded that your Group C is where I would personally stake a claim. Until the rest of y'all catch up I'll just have to get me a helmet to wear while I as I read through this unending debate.

Carry on!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Well Manifold, I've had as much experience as almost anybody here with manuals and much more than most with PDK, and based on that experience I've already concluded that your Group C is where I would personally stake a claim. Until the rest of y'all catch up I'll just have to get me a helmet to wear while I as I read through this unending debate.

Carry on!
Perhaps you'll prove correct, but I've done back to back road comparisons of the Boxster, Cayman, 997, and 991 with manual vs PDK, and every time I enjoyed the manual much more. My track experience with PDK is limited, so I'm less able to compare there. I'm quite willing to give the PDK a chance, but buying a PDK GT3 without trying it on both road and track is risky since I might not enjoy it enough.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
Perhaps you'll prove correct, but I've done back to back road comparisons of the Boxster, Cayman, 997, and 991 with manual vs PDK, and every time I enjoyed the manual much more. My track experience with PDK is limited, so I'm less able to compare there. I'm quite willing to give the PDK a chance, but buying a PDK GT3 without trying it on both road and track is risky since I might not enjoy it enough.
Don't get me wrong. The fact that I've come to the conclusion that I have about PDK doesn't mean you will eventually, or should.

For example, I like pancakes so it's hard to understand emotionally why anyone would complain about being served pancakes, yet intellectually I get that some people may never enjoy them. Still, sometimes my emotions get in the way of my intellect. So it is with PDK and this debate. It's not my intent to stifle, but sometimes it's exasperating to hear the same complaints over and over even though they may be legitimate. It's my problem, not yours.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The complaint isn't that old though. You only have to back one year to have a manual GT3.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackFan
The complaint isn't that old though. You only have to back one year to have a manual GT3.
Maybe not in terms of time but certainly in volume. We've been going at this subject with literally hundreds (thousands?) of posts for well over a year. It's been well massaged and there's not much that hasn't been said......
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe not in terms of time but certainly in volume. We've been going at this subject with literally hundreds (thousands?) of posts for well over a year. It's been well massaged and there's not much that hasn't been said......
How about we change the subject and fast forward a few years and debate the next generation GT3 (? 992) with hybrid technology?? You know it's coming....
Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
TrackFan, don't worry :-) and yes, you will lose your arguments against Mike (I think he's a laywer)... Just look it this way, Mike hasn't had a "real" car in a while -a C2S doesn't count-, so he'll take anything "new" that Porsche throws at him
I've had my GT3 for 2 1/2 years and spent 46 trackdays with it... Would I part with it? Probably not! Manual is one thing, but it's the "lively" rear-end that I always liked and felt challenged by it. Oh yeah, the steering... No matter what they say, an electric (i.e. computerized) steering will NEVER have the feel of a mechanical/hydraulic version, PERIOD. And since I buy 911's for their "feel" i.e. steering and unruly butt, I'm not sure the new one would fit my entertainment plans...
Again, Mike's just excited and when he gets his new red one, we'll probably have to open up a new category "Mike's new GT3 experiences"...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heres a good way to change topic. I found a whole heap of good info on piston heads as they have just had AP over in the UK and a whole bunch of them asking him questions and seeing the demo car etc. UK allocations look sold out and there's a whole worry vein running through peoples minds as to wether they will actually get one. Porsche have very limited production slots for the GT3 which physically limits how many they can make. Explosive growth across their markets means the current plants are obviously very busy and all the new "limited edition" runs they seem to do cant be making it easier either...
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Horstair
TrackFan, don't worry :-) and yes, you will lose your arguments against Mike (I think he's a laywer)... Just look it this way, Mike hasn't had a "real" car in a while -a C2S doesn't count-, so he'll take anything "new" that Porsche throws at him
I've had my GT3 for 2 1/2 years and spent 46 trackdays with it... Would I part with it? Probably not! Manual is one thing, but it's the "lively" rear-end that I always liked and felt challenged by it. Oh yeah, the steering... No matter what they say, an electric (i.e. computerized) steering will NEVER have the feel of a mechanical/hydraulic version, PERIOD. And since I buy 911's for their "feel" i.e. steering and unruly butt, I'm not sure the new one would fit my entertainment plans...
Again, Mike's just excited and when he gets his new red one, we'll probably have to open up a new category "Mike's new GT3 experiences"...
I love it when people use "no matter what you say" or "PERIOD" in an argument. Nothing like discussing things with someone who has an open mind! Actually I'm an engineer, although I have respect for our fellow RL'ers who are lawyers, not to mention that my daughter is one so be careful what you say about them.

Horst, when I open my "Mike's New GT3 Experiences" category, be sure to drop in once in a while with more of your pithy comments, just to keep me honest. LOL.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding Macca's post above, I've been thinking this but didn't want to say it. Unless you have locked up the first build this Q4, or are number 1 or 2 next year with a deposit, you will not get a new car. There are probably no allocations left in the country by what I read and see in my area.

Doesn't seem like that will be a problem though, given that few here are interested in owning one given the crappy car Porsche decided to build.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I think you may be right on both counts....especially the 2nd one....
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Regarding Macca's post above, I've been thinking this but didn't want to say it. Unless you have locked up the first build this Q4, or are number 1 or 2 next year with a deposit, you will not get a new car. There are probably no allocations left in the country by what I read and see in my area.

Doesn't seem like that will be a problem though, given that few here are interested in owning one given the crappy car Porsche decided to build.
I believe there is no available allocations due to the platform. No manual mean bigs sales like Cayennes. Who buys a manual Cayenne. I would but not many have. Bigger market when you go auto since any grandma can drive it. (originally quoted by AP) They are limiting allocations all for show and to make it much harder to get. Doesn't make the product any better but it will allow them to sell coolaid at much higher prices and keep the people that bought the bait happy for awhile.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Horst, when I open my "Mike's New GT3 Experiences" category, be sure to drop in once in a while with more of your pithy comments, just to keep me honest. LOL.
I certainly will, Mike Actually to be honest, I'm just tired of seeing about a dozen "Mike in CA" posts every day. As an engineer, don't you have anything better to do than posting your ever increasing "heightened" excitement about a new car? Come on...
Even though I'm not very interested in the new GT3 I still like to be kept up to date but these Mike posts are getting to me...
Maybe I just need to stick to the 997 forum...

Quick Reply: Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.