Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: MANUAL or PDK?
MANUAL
55.90%
PDK-S
44.10%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
The frustrating part about reading RL lately is regardless of which 991 GT3 thread you go to there are enough posters that decide the best way to voice their disappointment is with condescending adolescent comments regarding the other drivers(oops) sorry the C&C people. Sure is easy to do when anonymous. Boring enough that I imagine many will just sign off until the car is launched. Guess someone could say that real drivers track in race cars not street legal cars.
Well said..

It's kinda disappointing. Actually not too different from when the 991 came out. There are many valid reasons to debate the fact that you may not LOVE the extra length in wheelbase or the fact that there is PDCC or RWS or whatever it is you may not like. Or its too refined, luxurious etc. But there are a small group that take it to a personal / childish level. I'd actually like to hear about PDCC (pros cons etc.), without someone questioning someone's manhood for getting it. As an example.

This is a great community, lets keep it that way. Respect is a good thing to have for others.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Well said..

It's kinda disappointing. Actually not too different from when the 991 came out. There are many valid reasons to debate the fact that you may not LOVE the extra length in wheelbase or the fact that there is PDCC or RWS or whatever it is you may not like. Or its too refined, luxurious etc. But there are a small group that take it to a personal / childish level. I'd actually like to hear about PDCC (pros cons etc.), without someone questioning someone's manhood for getting it. As an example.

This is a great community, lets keep it that way. Respect is a good thing to have for others.
PDCC is an odd one. When driving at 8/10 or even 9/10, PDCC is really quite good. Keeps the car level, no body roll. In left-right transitions its really very impressive because the car doesn't need to unload and reload like a non-PDCC car.

However, at 10/10, PDCC starts to have issues. I don't know what it is, but the car becomes very unpredictable, snappy. I suspect its because the PDCC "gives up" at some point and suddenly the car rolls onto the loaded side very suddenly, while already at some slip or even slide.

It also makes the sensation of "the limit" slightly more vague. There is something ACTIVE happening in the suspension whereas you're used to a passive behavior (damping, springs, bars). So its tricky to know what exactly is going on.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant on the road because you're going to be nowhere near this limit. And I'm not surprised PDCC is not offered on the gt3.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
PDCC is an odd one. When driving at 8/10 or even 9/10, PDCC is really quite good. Keeps the car level, no body roll. In left-right transitions its really very impressive because the car doesn't need to unload and reload like a non-PDCC car.

However, at 10/10, PDCC starts to have issues. I don't know what it is, but the car becomes very unpredictable, snappy. I suspect its because the PDCC "gives up" at some point and suddenly the car rolls onto the loaded side very suddenly, while already at some slip or even slide.

It also makes the sensation of "the limit" slightly more vague. There is something ACTIVE happening in the suspension whereas you're used to a passive behavior (damping, springs, bars). So its tricky to know what exactly is going on.

Anyway, all of this is irrelevant on the road because you're going to be nowhere near this limit. And I'm not surprised PDCC is not offered on the gt3.
Thanks for that . I'm a no pdcc guy in a sports car.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume you guys are discussing general dynamics in the 991. PDCC is not offered in the gt3. Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your very last sentence, otherwise I wouldn't have posed my redundant response. Apparently, I needed more coffee.

Last edited by 911dev; 06-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I assume you guys are discussing general dynamics in the 991. PDCC is not offered in the gt3.
I have PDCC on my Carrera S and love it. If available, I would not own a 991
without it. ALL of the record laptimes run by Porsche have been on PDCC equipped cars where that option is available. The justification from Porsche for omitting it on the GT3 is that it is a complex system and adds weight and the GT3 has much stronger springs and therefore does not lean much anyway and ride quality is secondary anyway. Talking to the Porsche Experience training people, they note that the tire wear is FAR less with PDCC, and the ride is more supple and compliant since the roll bars are in a relaxed state in normal driving, yet tighten up in Milliseconds when needed to apply sufficient Torque to each wheel that needs it to keep it in contact with the road. I find it hugely advantageous on the track in keeping the contact patch in contact around turns. I've never met anyone who actually has PDCC that does not love it.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Smile

If the car is behaving unpredictably or snappy at 10/10, I would suspect tires
rather than PDCC. Not sure how you define "!0/10" but if you define it as sliding
across the track, I have never noticed the effect you describe with PDCC. The car has always remained far more controllable than non-pdcc equipped cars
I have driven and raced.

Here are some Videos showing a comparison of 997 models with and without PDCC during Slalom and turning through curves. The 991 PDCC has been
developed further and is even better. During MT testing, they noted the 991 PDCC Carrera S had so little lean they thought their measuring equipment was broken. Note PDCC is standard on the new Turbo S and offered optionally
on the TT. It was used on all Porsche's Nurburgring record runs which came as close to 10/10 as any of us will likely see.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:56 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
rather than PDCC. Not sure how you define "!0/10" but if you define it as sliding
across the track, I have never noticed the effect you describe with PDCC. The car has always remained far more controllable than non-pdcc equipped cars
I have driven and raced.

Here are some Videos showing a comparison of 997 models with and without PDCC during Slalom and turning through curves. The 991 PDCC has been
developed further and is even better. During MT testing, they noted the 991 PDCC Carrera S had so little lean they thought their measuring equipment was broken. Note PDCC is standard on the new Turbo S and offered optionally
on the TT. It was used on all Porsche's Nurburgring record runs which came as close to 10/10 as any of us will likely see.

Porsche 911 991 vs 911 997 comparativa PDCC en slalom - YouTube

Porsche 911 991 vs 911 997 comparativa PDCC en curva - YouTube
Pretty amazing stuff. I saw this a while back and am still impressed. Out of curiosity, is the 997 equipped with PASM?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Jay NZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting to see how close the poll is compared to the non-poll voting.

Or perhaps the manual guys are relatively faster to initially respond.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I have driven and raced.

Porsche 911 991 vs 911 997 comparativa PDCC en slalom - YouTube

Porsche 911 991 vs 911 997 comparativa PDCC en curva - YouTube
Hi

I haven't raced a PDCC car. I have tracked one and didn't like it. I cannot rule out that it was a tire problem as you've suggested, so maybe it was a one off.

Porsche marketing videos aren't really evidence of anything to me, nor is Nurburgring laptime. The 'ring is so specific in asphalt and setup. Quick at the ring is not necessarily quick elsewhere (from a setup point of view).

Time will tell which is better. However, PDCC is similar in concept to Active Suspension (from the 94 Williams F1 car), and we saw that when done correctly, it makes the car unbeatable. So, concept and application... is the difference between good ideas and bad I guess.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Smile

Hi

I haven't raced a PDCC car. I have tracked one and didn't like it. I cannot rule out that it was a tire problem as you've suggested, so maybe it was a one off.

Porsche marketing videos aren't really evidence of anything to me, nor is Nurburgring laptime. The 'ring is so specific in asphalt and setup. Quick at the ring is not necessarily quick elsewhere (from a setup point of view).

Time will tell which is better. However, PDCC is similar in concept to Active Suspension (from the 94 Williams F1 car), and we saw that when done correctly, it makes the car unbeatable. So, concept and application... is the difference between good ideas and bad I guess.
I share your skepticism about Nurburgring Lap times as they supply only a single datapoint for determining laptimes on the much shorter tracks I am running on here. I actually take several dozen tracks listed on "FastestLaps.com" and driven by different drivers then analyze them as a group to determine the positioning of a specific Porsche model in the pecking order.

I bought the "Go-Fast" options on my C2S after consulting extensively with the top instructors from the Porsche Experience asking them which options would produce the lowest lap times. They recommended PDCC in conjunction with
Sports PASM, which is Porsche's Active Suspension Management. The Sport Version of PASM has stiffer springs and a lower chassis height. My comments were based on running those two options together with "Sport Plus"
selected for track use. I've been delighted with the combination as it comes close to the "Holy Grail" of Sports Cars: Comfortable ride with relaxed roll bars
as a DD and a taut GT3-like ride on the track and winding roads.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Very interestng. I've not driven a Carrera with PDCC so I can't comment on that. I do have PDCC/PASM on my Cayenne S and had a chance recently to compare it back to back with a loaner base Panamera that did not have it but did have PASM. Amazingly, the Cayenne, which also has PTV+, turns in more precisely and responsively with better grip and control than the Panamera. (Full disclosure; the Panamera had 255's on 19" wheels while my Cayenne has 275's on 20's.)

I think there's definitely a place for PDCC in the larger cars, especially the Cayenne. Maybe the Carrera too. I can understand, though, why they felt it unnecessary on the GT3.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts
Default I'm waiting for...

The 992 GT3 which will have PCM-S which allows you to select 'Walter Rohl' mode on the nav and have the car drive itself around the Ring lapping like the king ... that way I will be faster (or just as fast) as the fastest drivers there!

you heard it here 1st!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Very interestng. I've not driven a Carrera with PDCC so I can't comment on that. I do have PDCC/PASM on my Cayenne S and had a chance recently to compare it back to back with a loaner base Panamera that did not have it but did have PASM. Amazingly, the Cayenne, which also has PTV+, turns in more precisely and responsively with better grip and control than the Panamera. (Full disclosure; the Panamera had 255's on 19" wheels while my Cayenne has 275's on 20's.)

I think there's definitely a place for PDCC in the larger cars, especially the Cayenne. Maybe the Carrera too. I can understand, though, why they felt it unnecessary on the GT3.
As I recall AP mentioned this in the video, car is sufficiently sprung etc that it does not need PDCC to counter the (non-existent) roll etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

I think Porsche can feel pretty satisfied with the results of this POLL...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just had this idea : Let's say Porsche decided to offer a choice...maybe for the RS or for the 991.2 GT3.
Let's vote! How many here would choose MANUAL over PDK or the other way around and perhaps you can elaborate why... Keep in mind when choosing that you might get better lap times with PDK and we can go as far as to say the MANUAL will be an extra cost option.
Please no argument,let's just vote!
Thank you!
An important part of that preference of Manual vs PDK on the 991 assumes that the 991 Manual Transmission work as well as the Manual on previous models as the respondents no doubt make that assumption. I have seen a few negative comments on the 991 Carrera Manual transmissions and I don't know if that is widespread or just from the usual small percentage of complainers. My Carrera S has a PDK which I excellent.. I have never driven a manual Carrera. Perhaps you should poll the owners of manual 991 models and find how they feel about their MT and if, on the basis of their driving experience, would prefer it again
over the PDK if they were to order a 991 GT3.
Any 991 MT users out there that could comment?

Quick Reply: POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.