Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: MANUAL or PDK?
MANUAL
55.90%
PDK-S
44.10%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
An important part of that preference of Manual vs PDK on the 991 assumes that the 991 Manual Transmission work as well as the Manual on previous models as the respondents no doubt make that assumption. I have seen a few negative comments on the 991 Carrera Manual transmissions and I don't know if that is widespread or just from the usual small percentage of complainers. My Carrera S has a PDK which I excellent.. I have never driven a manual Carrera. Perhaps you should poll the owners of manual 991 models and find how they feel about their MT and if, on the basis of their driving experience, would prefer it again
over the PDK if they were to order a 991 GT3.
Any 991 MT users out there that could comment?
I drove a 991 S with manual transmission a few times and I think it's good. Shorter gear ratios just like the PDK-S and no over drive in 7th for the GT3 and we'll have a winner!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,851 Likes on 959 Posts

So 60% for manual and 40% for automatic. Frankly I'm a little surprised at the results. I expected the automatic camp to be at least 2/3's based on all the fanboy talk on this site. Something tells me these aren't the results PAG got when they queried "expert" dealer feedback.

So another swing and a miss from Porsche. Hopefully they display the same customer responsiveness that BMW did and offer a manual option soon.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
So 60% for manual and 40% for automatic. Frankly I'm a little surprised at the results. I expected the automatic camp to be at least 2/3's based on all the fanboy talk on this site. Something tells me these aren't the results PAG got when they queried "expert" dealer feedback.

So another swing and a miss from Porsche. Hopefully they display the same customer responsiveness that BMW did and offer a manual option soon.
I join you in this hope, though based on the trend this probably makes us Pollyannas rather than mere optimists.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I join you in this hope, though based on the trend this probably makes us Pollyannas rather than mere optimists.
Yes...but now after all this agitation...manual in a 991 GT3 will just hurt 997 GT3 prices...so I dont mind anymore. Just let them have their PdK (against which I am not at all).

The massive depreciation of 991 models will be a "a wake up call" for Porsche sooner or later anyway..I think this will become apparent when 991.2 will be on the market. On the GT3, let the market decide it...depreciation rates will show us the path..
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM
frayed
Race Car

Too funny.

You think 170 respondents on rennlist is accurate, statistically relevant feedback on desirability of the new metal? One shouldn't have to point out the obvious, gaping flaws of your conclusion.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope this post doesn't ban me or get me ridiculed but I personally wanted a 997 GT3 but never got to buy one because (here it comes) I was not good at heel and toe (still am not). When I learnt the 991 GT3 was going to be PDK, I jumped right in. I don't think it makes me a worse driver for not mastering that skill but I suspect there are many more like me and somehow Porsche figured it out and hence their decision, IMO. For all of you who have mastered heel and toe, hats off to you.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

You won't get banned but your mancard will be revoked! LOL. J/k.

I have trouble heel toe on the street with my last several porsches b/c the brake pedal is set so high. But in my BMW pretty good, and in the porsches much better under hard braking where the the brake pedal gets closer to the loud pedal. B/c of pedal placement in the newer pcars I always had trouble practicing on street.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

A poll taken in one of the most traditionalist shifting-for-youself venues on the planet is hardly neutral territory. Yet even here, the preference for MT over PDK hovers just below 60%. Regardless of which side of the question someone is on, that pretty telling, and about as far as you can get from a swing and a miss.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:04 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
A poll taken in one of the most traditionalist shifting-for-youself venues on the planet is hardly neutral territory. Yet even here, the preference for MT over PDK hovers just below 60%. Regardless of which side of the question someone is on, that pretty telling, and about as far as you can get from a swing and a miss.
So, losing = winning? Positively Orwellian.

Mike, a job as a political spinmeister would no doubt be yours for the asking!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by triode
So, losing = winning?

Mike, a job as a political spinmeister would no doubt be yours for the asking!
Using the political analogy, if you polled at the Republican Convention and found out that 40% of the attendees favored Democrats, that would a really bad sign for the red team even though they "won" the poll. Who and where you poll is at least as important as the question you ask. No spin required, triode, just common sense!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,851 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I hope this post doesn't ban me or get me ridiculed but I personally wanted a 997 GT3 but never got to buy one because (here it comes) I was not good at heel and toe (still am not). When I learnt the 991 GT3 was going to be PDK, I jumped right in. I don't think it makes me a worse driver for not mastering that skill but I suspect there are many more like me and somehow Porsche figured it out and hence their decision, IMO. For all of you who have mastered heel and toe, hats off to you.
No worries. You're not going to get crap on this forum for wanting an automatic. Only people getting crap around here these days are loyal GT3 owners wanting a manual.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Using the political analogy, if you polled at the Republican Convention and found out that 40% of the attendees favored Democrats, that would a really bad sign for the red team even though they "won" the poll. Who and where you poll is at least as important as the question you ask. No spin required, triode, just common sense!
MIke, we agree to disagree on most issues concerning the 991GT3 and on other items we agree.
Certainly we approach the car from a different point of view

Kudos for staying on topic and respectfully articulate thoughts, anticipations, expectations and concerns about the 991GT3. better than I am able to.

Guys like you who can take punch and keep it respectful are what makes these pages great.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Peter, I really appreciate that. I mean it. At heart we're all gearheads and compared to the other folks out there who don't share our passion for cars, we have far more in common than not. That is what makes RL great.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Too funny.

You think 170 respondents on rennlist is accurate, statistically relevant feedback on desirability of the new metal? One shouldn't have to point out the obvious, gaping flaws of your conclusion.
It is all emotion. Like Chris Harris said, for every one hold out there will be three to buy one. So what to do: try to demean those that do not agree. " Not a real driver or a c&c attendee" Boys Bull.... is a term my mother used. Then again: I loved the feel of my slide ruler and only real mathematicians could use them. Freakin calculators are for pussies
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

deleted...

Quick Reply: POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.