Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: MANUAL or PDK?
MANUAL
55.90%
PDK-S
44.10%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Using the political analogy, if you polled at the Republican Convention and found out that 40% of the attendees favored Democrats, that would a really bad sign for the red team even though they "won" the poll. Who and where you poll is at least as important as the question you ask. No spin required, triode, just common sense!
Sorry Mike, your straw man is showing.

The poll was of Porsche lovers rather than an opposing "party"; who better to poll regarding the traditionally most focused driver's car in the Porsche lineup? Common sense would indeed dictate that this is exactly the group to poll - dedicated Porsche nuts, many of whom have voted with their wallets (to Porsche's benefit, no less) for decades - and who form the most likely buying group for Porsche's higher performance models. Would you suggest having put the question to the Camry Owners' Club instead?

A 60/40 split in a Presidential election is generally considered to be bordering on a landslide. And if the poll results here had gone as decisively the other way, you'd no doubt cite it as support for your preference - when what it shows instead is exactly what many of us have been saying all along: a choice of transmissions should have been offered - a common sense result if ever there was one.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:49 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike means that the poll has been conducted on a US forum full of enthusiasts and stick lovers all the like and yet there was still a 40% preference for PDK on the forum most inclined to be biased to manual ... A poll on European forums where there is bias far more towards PDK would likely not have been as favourable for manual... His analogy is valid IMHO and I'm a stick guy...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Manual, 3 pedals for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Mike means that the poll has been conducted on a US forum full of enthusiasts and stick lovers all the like and yet there was still a 40% preference for PDK on the forum most inclined to be biased to manual ... A poll on European forums where there is bias far more towards PDK would likely not have been as favourable for manual... His analogy is valid IMHO and I'm a stick guy...
I understand what he "means" - this isn't a comprehension issue on my end - it's just that he's using a tortured non sequitur to attempt to make his point.

If you look at the members' domiciles, many who post here are overseas, so to say that RL is a "US forum" is a bit myopic - the beauty of the 'net is that anyone can chime in from anywhere. And what is your basis for saying that RL in general, or the 991 GT3 forum (by definition, a PDK-only car at this point) in particular, is biased toward manual? I'd say that they're instead geared toward Porsche lovers of all stripes.

And since you say that enthusiasts = stick lovers...well, you've proven my point regarding the need for a tranny choice for an enthusiast car.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
....one of the most traditionalist shifting-for-youself venues on the planet....
I trust the methodology underlying this conclusion was not a poll......
Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I understand what he "means" - this isn't a comprehension issue on my end - it's just that he's using a tortured non sequitur to attempt to make his point.

If you look at the members' domiciles, many who post here are overseas, so to say that RL is a "US forum" is a bit myopic - the beauty of the 'net is that anyone can chime in from anywhere. And what is your basis for saying that RL in general, or the 991 GT3 forum (by definition, a PDK-only car at this point) in particular, is biased toward manual? I'd say that they're instead geared toward Porsche lovers of all stripes.

And since you say that enthusiasts = stick lovers...well, you've proven my point regarding the need for a tranny choice for an enthusiast car.
Chris summarized my point exactly.

I could defend my example and counter your response, triode, but since you understand what I mean, even if you disagree with how I said it, then there's really no point boring everyone with a discussion of my presentation. Sorry if mine didn't sit well with you. In the future, I'll be sure to run my non-sequiters by you first to make sure they're not overly tortured!

I'm perfectly satisfied to disagree agreeably and leave it at that.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well stated.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,403 Posts

And what is your basis for saying that RL in general, or the 991 GT3 forum (by definition, a PDK-only car at this point) in particular, is biased toward manual
The basis has to be speculation, and the more objective data we have (the poll) suggests about equal preference for manual vs PDK in this forum.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 947 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of assumptions.

The following are facts:

1) 100 of 175 voters to date in this pole would prefer a manual.

2) Three well-regarded automotive journalists have actually driven the car and still car pine for a manual.

Regardless of your opinion of these facts, I highly doubt they reflect results Porsche hoped to see.

Last edited by Nizer; 06-16-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wow, that's a lot of assumptions.

The following are facts:

1) 100 of 175 voters to date in this pole would prefer a manual.

2) Three well-regarded automotive journalists have actually driven the and still car pine for a manual.

Regardless of your opinion of these facts, I highly doubt they reflect results Porsche hoped to see.
Nizer, I'm on your side...I won't buy the new car with pdk. My point was to point out that contrary to previous suggestion, Mike's analogy was valid because unlike other forums full of wannabes and dreamers, this forum has a huge GT enthusiast following that tracks yet the pdk polled well once it went anonymous...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Nizer, I'm on your side...I won't buy the new car with pdk. My point was to point out that contrary to previous suggestion, Mike's analogy was valid because unlike other forums full of wannabes and dreamers, this forum has a huge GT enthusiast following that tracks yet the pdk polled well once it went anonymous...
Yes Chris,that's what I thought as well...when I first started this thread and there wasn't any Poll,the vast majority was voting for a manual transmission. As soon as the actual Poll went up,the results became quite surprising and as I said before,40 something percent in favor of PDK is a very good result on an enthusiast forum.
Mmmmm...I wonder if AP asked some of his colleagues to register on Rennlist and anonymously vote on this Poll...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 752 Posts

I think Mike in CA is really AP in D ...

Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

LOL.

But I don't think so. He doesn't write with a German accent.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Ok, you got me. Been planning this ever since 2001 when I became a member, just waiting for the opportunity to finally mess with your collective American heads!

If y'all (would AP use y'all? ) know anything about conducting a poll you understand that the parameters of how you extract polling data are very specific. This is hardly a scientific poll, by any stretch of the imagination. It's a straw poll which measures the preferences of a specific audience with no concern given to obtaining a representative sample.

That said, given the RL audience, I was surprised to see this many people vote for PDK. To me that indicates that even among a "rabid" enthusiast group, a very significant number choose PDK and not a MT. If you made sure to include a representative sampling of the entire sports car buying population, including a statistically valid cross section of buyers from all countries, I suspect the results would skew even more heavily toward PDK.

Some may disagree with that assumption; so be it. The bottom line is that Porsche is currently selling significantly more PDK cars world wide than MT cars. For good or ill, that's the only poll that really counts, and the only real measure of whether Porsche's gearbox choice is a swing and a miss or not.

Meine Herren und Damen Ich wünsche Ihnen guten Abend!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rennlist seams to be a us weighted forum and them maybe uk second - maybe I'm wrong?

Interestingly the US and UK are the only countries in the world (besides Iberia) who have NOT adopted the metric system...coincidence???

Quick Reply: POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.