Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks awesome... and something about lighter, faster to change and more surface area for rotor.

Never had one so I want one for the purpose of just having one. I'll never be able to tell the difference.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What are the benefit of center locks? Why have them?
According to AP:
  • They are lighter
  • They have less rotating mass
  • They make wheel changes much faster and easier
  • They are reliable
  • They improve lap times
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

this is gonna get ugly
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
this is gonna get ugly
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

not going down the ugly lane, wishing Eduardo a fast and complete rehab!!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
not going down the ugly lane, wishing Eduardo a fast and complete rehab!!
Thank you, brother! I am out of the operating table, doing fine (on Oxycontin by Dr.'s prescription) and listening to Kenny Loggins! So no pain!

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thank you, brother! I am out of the operating table, doing fine (on Oxycontin by Dr.'s prescription) and listening to Kenny Loggins! So no pain!

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
Happy to hear that you are doing well. Don't mix Oxycontin and Kenny Loggins...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Happy to hear that you are doing well. Don't mix Oxycontin and Kenny Loggins...
Perhaps good advice! On my last operation, I mixed Oxy with 'America' and that didn't go very well! I ended up in a desert on a horse with no name, although it felt good to be out of the rain! As you know, in the desert you can remember your name Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain La, la....or whatever! I might have to stick with The Captain & Tennille!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
What type of surgery?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
What type of surgery?
http://thesteadmanclinic.com/glenohu...throplasty.asp

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
You're clearly still delirious from the anesthesia ... you just wrote you're listening to Kenny Loggins and you feel no pain ... oh how we'll look back on that post and laugh!

Well, this shoulder surgery sounds serious. Is it the manual gearbox driver's equivalent of tennis elbow? Too many manual gearshifts leading to repetitive strain injury of the shoulder? I believe Dr Preuninger prescribes a double paddle dose of "shut up and drive" for that ailment.

I can only wish you a speedy recovery and I trust whatever shoulder is incapacitated, I hope you can "use the other hand" ... I mean, for gearshifts.

Just kidding. Thank you for your posts. Rennlist should be sending you commission checks. Much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:09 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I did not follow Porsche's recommendation on the replacement of the axles on my Centerlock wheels on my 1995 993 GT2 Factory Race Car after 15 Track Hours nor the 30 hour Overhaul Time on my GT2 TT Engine and Transmission. My left rear axle broke on the downhill turn entering the straight at Road Atlanta throwing the car into the wall at 130 MPH and requiring most of the body to be replaced after 40 Hours of racing and a $50K Bill for body and axle replacement. The axles looked perfect when inspected prior to the PCA race. My point is that the internal stress lines that develop after axles are stressed to several hundred foot pounds of stretching Torque then subject to high-speed vertical and horizontal pounding holding 3000 Lbs of car and driver in place with a small diameter spindle at speeds approaching 200 MPH on a race course make breaking inevitable. My Engine went 50 Hours before blowing up while
racing at Watkins Glen. Another $100K for Engine and Tranny OH.
After racing for 24 Hours in the Rolex at Daytona, about the only thing not
requiring replacement or OH on my 911 RSR were the windshield wipers since
it did not rain. The 600 HP Chevy V8 in my vintage Racing 1976 Dekon Monza has a 15 hour expected racing life before overhaul. My point is that if we want to run our cars on the track using 80-95% of their capability, we have to expect FAR higher maintenance and replacement expenses. It is simply a matter of time - and their is nothing to be gained by blaming Porsche for our indulgences.
After 40 years of track activities, I know of nothing made by any other car company that can match the performance of our Porsches at any lower maintenance cost.
Regarding the street centerlocks: If it were truly an issue of wear/fatigue only, Porsche would have timeout schedules on 997.1 GT3 5 lug hubs. User error due to unfriendly design enters heavily into the new maintenance requirement, as does the first run of cars that were eventually recalled to upgrade to a newer design.

I'm not saying hubs should never wear out, but the fact is that it was a failed experiment that they have conveniently washed their hands of.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Regarding the street centerlocks: If it were truly an issue of wear/fatigue only, Porsche would have timeout schedules on 997.1 GT3 5 lug hubs. User error due to unfriendly design enters heavily into the new maintenance requirement, as does the first run of cars that were eventually recalled to upgrade to a newer design.

I'm not saying hubs should never wear out, but the fact is that it was a failed experiment that they have conveniently washed their hands of.
It's simple physics! The 5 bolt wheels on the 991 have a Torque Spec of 118 Ft. Lbs on each Bolt to hold the wheel onto the hub. That is 618 Ft. Lbs of Torque
Total. The Centerlocks will require the Single Bolt holding the wheel on to have a far higher Torque Spec than spreading the Torque among 5 Bolts. Things break easier when subject to Track pounding if they are highly stressed - as are the Centerlocks. Divide that Torque by 5 - not so much!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Physics is physics. Nobody and no thing escapes that. Things break with repeated use. No argument there.

Street centerlocks were hyped gimmick(read: no real benefit) that didn't work. If it's as simple as your explanation, then the engineers at Porsche had to know all this long ago. If they need a 4200 mi timeout, fine. They should've told buyers up front.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that Porsche dissed their most passionate enthusiasts, the GT3 track rats, by consciously choosing to just dump this in our lap. You shouldn't do things like that to your faithful. That is my point!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
I'm glad they fixed the problem

Suludos guey!

Quick Reply: Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"