Sponsored by:

Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"

If you're not a PCA member, find someone with a copy of the May issue of Panorama. Pete Stout has done an excellent interview with AP and August Achleitner on the 991 GT3. Pete asked insightful and tough questions and got some very interesting answers, some of which fill in blanks on issues that have been raised here. Nice job Pete!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I renewed my membership after a lapse when I decided I needed to stay away from new metal for a while. Two things: I thought Pete was a writer for Excellence? And, can you better paraphrase the blanks he filled in?

Edit, just searched the interwebs and saw Pete moved on to Pano. Cool. Good guy. I wonder if he still dislikes PASM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
I renewed my membership after a lapse when I decided I needed to stay away from new metal for a while. Two things: I thought Pete was a writer for Excellence? And, can you better paraphrase the blanks he filled in?

Edit, just searched the interwebs and saw Pete moved on to Pano. Cool. Good guy. I wonder if he still dislikes PASM.
I don't want to steal the thunder from the article nor infringe any copyrights but I'll pick out a few items:

Unlike the current PDK, the new version doesn't "crawl" at idle. PDK-S has has no "kickdown" feature in manual mode, and again in manual mode it will not upshift under any circumstances at redline. What isn't mentioned is whether it will lug the engine or automatically downshift at a stop like the current PDK. AP does say it is "strictly manual", so you can make your own guess. He also says again that it is the fastest shifting box out there, faster than the 458 box which was their benchmark.

AP says that if the GT3 had gotten a MT it would have been the PDK derived 7 speed. The gearbox case of the old 6 speed is too long due to the relocation of the engine in the 991 chassis and also the new GT3 engine requires the case and 3 shaft design of the PDK style gearbox. It won't mate to the old box.

The antiroll bars are located by bearings instead of rubber bushings, a lesson AP said they learned from the 997.

Pete asked some tough questions about CL's. AP said that they are completely redesigned; almost the same as the Cup car. You guys will love this. AP: "We have completely redesigned the central-lock system, very much discussed in all the forums because everyone knows at least 250 people who lost all four wheels at once on the road. This is not true; we know exactly how many failures there were." He talks later about how, with respect to the old CL's, they "underestimated a bit what people do to the system out there" in terms of not following proper procedures. This is one of the most interesting parts of Pete's interview and goes on for a while.

RWS, EM steering, chassis configuration, service requirements for CL's etc were discussed. I don't want to give away any more; it's well worth finding a copy and is one of the great perks of being a PCA member for anyone who isn't already!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If your not operating the clutch with a clutch pedal it is not a manual. That said have fun bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, did that issue just come out today? I don't have it yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by paver
Mike, did that issue just come out today? I don't have it yet.
Paver, I just got it today.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More and more nice reveals about the car. The Ring testing sounded awesome, I'm happy that it doesn't crawl, that the gearbox is even quicker than the 458's (which is one of the best I've driven), that CLs have been given a full redesign, and so on... we're getting there!

Now, where does a 'foreigner' living in the Middle Eastern desert find himself a copy of that article?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TomTom77
More and more nice reveals about the car. The Ring testing sounded awesome, I'm happy that it doesn't crawl, that the gearbox is even quicker than the 458's (which is one of the best I've driven), that CLs have been given a full redesign, and so on... we're getting there!

Now, where does a 'foreigner' living in the Middle Eastern desert find himself a copy of that article?
Wish I could help you out, Tom. I can't post the entire article for obvious reasons, and Panorama isn't available in digital form on the PCA website, AFAIK.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Andreas jokes about CL failures...

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Pete asked some tough questions about CL's. AP said that they are completely redesigned; almost the same as the Cup car. You guys will love this. AP: "We have completely redesigned the central-lock system, very much discussed in all the forums because everyone knows at least 250 people who lost all four wheels at once on the road. This is not true; we know exactly how many failures there were." He talks later about how, with respect to the old CL's, they "underestimated a bit what people do to the system out there" in terms of not following proper procedures. This is one of the most interesting parts of Pete's interview and goes on for a while.
Good for Pete! I feel for him because that is 'Vintage Stout' from his old days at 'Excellence'. However, he is at 'Panorama' now and I am concerned how much of a free reign he will be given to be independent, fair-but-critical and continue to pose the needed tough questions to the likes of Andreas Preuninger, August Achleitner, Detlev von Platen & others at Porsche! Any long time observer of PCA know that it's a highly political organization that has often confused its role and at times acted as an uncritical mouthpiece for Porsche (the corporation), PCNA (its distribution arm in the US) and the new models they make available to their membership in the USA! I don't remember seeing EVER a truly critical or unfavorable piece on any Porsche model in 'Panorama'...and I have been a PCA member since 1977! Pete is no 'Betty Jo Turner' and I am praying for his continued success at Panorama!

Now to AP's remarks quoted above. Andreas might kid all he wants about CL failures on their last gt3 model! I just hope that we don't have a tragedy at a track event in the near future where he will regret ever making fun of those rightfully concerned that Porsche's CL components foisted on their .2 997 gt3 customers were anything less than bullet-proof and subject to possible 'pre-mature' failure! There will be no fury like the one tort lawyers in the US will conjured up if they get their hands on such a case, especially if there are tragic consequences due to a wheel coming off at speed on the track...or on a public highway!

It is really no laughing matter! And to all of you potential 991 gt3 customers: If Porsche is not handling the .2 997 CL issue 'right' for their recent gt3 'good paying' customers, what confidence do you have that they will handle 'right' any issue that might develop on your innovative 991 gt3? I would suggest supporting (for your own selfish reasons) those that have come before you and have run into problems such as CL failure on their 997 gt3's! Don't let Porsche off the hook re: the 997 CL issues by ignoring it or making light of it! If they don't 'man-up' for those current gt3 customers, what confidence do YOU have that they will stand behind that new RWS & CL system that will be an essential & critical safety component in your own 991 gt3! Think.

My dos centavos for what is worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO

Last edited by Z356; 05-15-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z356
Good for Pete! I feel for him because that is 'Vintage Stout' from his old days at 'Excellence'. However, he is at 'Panorama' now and I am concerned how much of a free reign he will be given to be independent, fair-but-critical and continue to pose the needed tough questions to the likes of Andreas Preuninger, August Achleitner, Detlev von Platen & others at Porsche! Any long time observer of PCA know that it's a highly political organization that has often confused its role and at times acted as an uncritical mouthpiece for Porsche (the corporation), PCNA (its distribution arm in the US) and the new models they make available to their membership in the USA! I don't remember seeing EVER a truly critical or unfavorable piece on any Porsche model in 'Panorama'...and I have been a PCA member since 1977! Pete is no 'Betty Jo Turner' and I am praying for his continued success at Panorama!

Now to AP's remarks quoted above. Andreas might kid all he wants about CL failures on their last gt3 model! I just hope that we don't have a tragedy at a track event in the near future where he will regret ever making fun of those rightfully concerned that Porsche's CL components foisted on their .2 997 gt3 customers were anything less than bullet-proof and subject to possible 'pre-mature' failure! There will be no fury like the one tort lawyers in the US will conjured up if they get their hands on such a case, especially if there are tragic consequences due to a wheel coming off at speed on the track...or on a public highway!

It is really no laughing matter! And to all of you potential 991 gt3 customers: If Porsche is not handling the .2 997 CL issue 'right' for their recent gt3 'good paying' customers, what confidence do you have that they will handle 'right' any issue that might develop on your innovative 991 gt3? I would suggest supporting (for your own selfish reasons) those that have come before you and have run into problems such as CL failure on their 997 gt3's! Don't let Porsche off the hook re: the 997 CL issues by ignoring it or making light of it! If they don't 'man-up' for those current gt3 customers, what confidence do YOU have that they will stand behind that new RWS & CL system that will be an essential & critical safety component in your own 991 gt3! Think.

My dos centavos for what is worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Good comments Eduardo; I knew AP's quote would elicit a response. I felt that Pete's interview was very balanced in that he followed up on answers and was persistent in trying to address concerns that have been raised here on RL and elsewhere.

With regard to AP's comment, it came across in context not so much a "joke" than as a certain amount of frustration, IMO. His impression (from first hand observation) was of seeing owners of CL wheels not taking precautions with respect to proper procedures (cleanliness, hub torquing) particularly in a track environment. He also makes the point that no GT3 is designed as a "race car"; it is a street legal car which is perfectly capable of being taken and used at the track for "fun laps". If people wish to use it as a race car, ie tracking it for as much as 30 hours (7-10K kilometers) then they should expect to replace hubs exactly like the 30 hour intervals required for the Cup cars. He says that while the Cup cars reach higher speeds, the street cars are heavier so the same stresses are present. He also feels that, as with many internet issues, people who are satisfied rarely write about their positive experiences and that the negative ones are overstated. Most owners are very happy with CL's. I'm just reporting what he said in the interview; make of it what you will.

I know you go in for your surgery tomorrow; all the best!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

It was a decent article. However, it sure seemed like a lot of what they had to say was to justify their perhaps questionable decisions with respect to the new car. I don't think I've ever seen such a defensive approach taken prior to the release of a new model. They should just release it and let the buyers decide. Quit trying so hard to convince us it will be great. If it is, we can figure it out ourselves. If it's not, we'll figure that out as well.

Maybe the Porsche guys could do PR for a fertility clinic - 'trust me, artificial insemination is more fun than the old way - just shut up and grab the test tube!'
Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

I wonder if our 997 CL wheels will fit the new CL system and vice versa.
Maybe someone can retrofit the new and improved "almost like a CUP car" parts.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe someone can retrofit the new and improved "almost like a CUP car" parts.
New and improved? Is there something wrong with the current center locks?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

Haha, the new ones are betterer.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
New and improved? Is there something wrong with the current center locks?
500 cars had their wheels fall off on track.

Quick Reply: Excellent Panorama Interview "On Three"