Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article regarding he death of manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Google will drive the 8th generation for you, no worries.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
If you accept AP’s comments to EVO at face value, the reason for computer-controlled shifting, computer-controller RWS, PTV, etc., is to reduce the performance gap between pro drivers and the average Joe. It’s the same reason Nissan loaded up the GTR with electronic driving aids, and other manufacturers are following the same trend. As cars move to higher and higher horsepower levels and faster lap times, and as Porsche sells cars to a more diverse clientele, these aids will become more important for actualizing performance potential and preserving some degree of safety. I’m not crazy about the trend, but I can see their rationale for doing it. I’ll forgive them for it if the car turns out to be a hoot, which I expect it will be.
Completely agree.

If there's a company that can pull off the modernization of the sports car yet retain its soul, it's Porsche.

IMHO.

To me, it's the implementation of technology, not the new tech itself. For example, Pete Stout's comments on PASM.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

From an instructor's viewpoint...

there are both pro's & con's with all this electronic wizardry.

Yes... less experienced drivers tend to be much faster than they would be when driving say a GT-R.

They also tend to have much bigger mishaps when they "run out of talent".

That said... the new technology is available and being offered by manufacturers, improving the performance.

It may take some of the fun away when tracking the newer cars... but it is here,,, and does improve "lap times".
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If there is a clutch pedal it is only used for starts. During the race, clutch is not used. Same affect as a PDK.

BTW, I don't believe you are hostile to the members of this board when you post. You should allay your animus toward Porsche until which time you have had an opportunity to ride in or drive the GT3. If you are open minded, you may be pleasantly surprised. Oops, I am starting to sound like AP.
Most race cars use a PDK type transmission?

Um no, not even close.

And even a good amount of single clutch sequential cars have not yet gone to paddle shift transmission.

And for those cars, the clutch is used on every downshift unless an autoblipper is equipped. There are a ton of race cars out there without either of the two VERY expensive additions to an already very expensive gearbox concept.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
From an instructor's viewpoint...

there are both pro's & con's with all this electronic wizardry.

Yes... less experienced drivers tend to be much faster than they would be when driving say a GT-R.

They also tend to have much bigger mishaps when they "run out of talent".

That said... the new technology is available and being offered by manufacturers, improving the performance.

It may take some of the fun away when tracking the newer cars... but it is here,,, and does improve "lap times".
Speaking only for myself but faster lap times are only rewarding and satisfying when due to my talent and improved ability, not gizmos and electronic wizardry... In fact, one of my goals its to safely lap as close to my pro instructor's times as possible with as many aids etc switched off coz it ain't going to be hard to do with them on

Last edited by 911rox; 05-31-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Speaking only for myself but faster lap times are only rewarding and satisfying when due to my talent and improved ability, not gizmos and electronic wizardry... In fact, one of my goals its to safely lap as close to my pro instructor's times as possible with as many aids etc switched off coz it ain't going to be hard to do with them on
Agreed.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this bloke is good!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Respectfully, Chris, it seems to me your argument is meaningful only if one's talents exceed the capabilities of the car. Given equal drivers, it may be easier to match any given lap time of a 997 GT in a 991 GT3, but since the limits of the 991 are higher, it's still going to take exceptional skill to reach them.

Maybe you could drive a 991 GT3 to a sub 7:30 Ring time or the equivalent on your favorite track, but if you can't then the car clearly has all the headroom you'll ever need to showcase your ability.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
Jimmy, Luke is amazing at his craft of getting a car around a track FAST! He's the guy I go to for benchmarking tyres or set up at PI... His time will be 99% of potential with no risk. He prefers not to push 11/10ths and risk someone elses car...

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Respectfully, Chris, it seems to me your argument is meaningful only if one's talents exceed the capabilities of the car. Given equal drivers, it may be easier to match any given lap time of a 997 GT in a 991 GT3, but since the limits of the 991 are higher, it's still going to take exceptional skill to reach them.

Maybe you could drive a 991 GT3 to a sub 7:30 Ring time or the equivalent on your favorite track, but if you can't then the car clearly has all the headroom you'll ever need to showcase your ability.
Mike, not exactly... The guy shown in the youtube vid above is a pro v8 supercar driver and has the ability and talent to far exceed the capabilities of the car. I use his services and those of one other driver to benchmark my car every couple days. I started 6-7 plus seconds off his time and it has taken 3 years to get to less than one second. Thats been 3 years of targeting those laps and now I am approaching them BUT still need to sort out my consistency which is far from perfect. For me its not about the time per say, he's already set that... Its about the challenge and process of getting there and the learning I have to do to get there, not what the car will bring to the party in the form of assistance...

A 991 will pull a faster around the same track and have more potential but the aids will do more work for me ensuring that I don't have to work as hard to close that gap to a time he sets.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
That's some nice driving. Minimal drama; perfect car placement.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike, not exactly... The guy shown in the youtube vid above is a pro v8 supercar driver and has the ability and talent to far exceed the capabilities of the car. I use his services and those of one other driver to benchmark my car every couple days. I started 6-7 plus seconds off his time and it has taken 3 years to get to less than one second. Thats been 3 years of targeting those laps and now I am approaching them BUT still need to sort out my consistency which is far from perfect. For me its not about the time per say, he's already set that... Its about the challenge and process of getting there and the learning I have to do to get there, not what the car will bring to the party in the form of assistance...

A 991 will pull a faster around the same track and have more potential but the aids will do more work for me ensuring that I don't have to work as hard to close that gap to a time he sets.
Impressive, Chris, and well done if you can match the gent in the vid. I will only add that I suspect the knock on the 991 GT3 as potentially too easy to drive and not challenging enough is being overstated and to get the best out of it will require a skill level similar to that required for the 997 GT3. Either way, the point being that for someone like me, at least, running out of car before I run out of talent is not likely to be a major problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Impressive, Chris, and well done if you can match the gent in the vid. I will only add that I suspect the knock on the 991 GT3 as potentially too easy to drive and not challenging enough is being overstated and to get the best out of it will require a skill level similar to that required for the 997 GT3. Either way, the point being that for someone like me, at least, running out of car before I run out of talent is not likely to be a major problem.
Thanks Mike... A fair way to go yet to match Luke's times with consistency and then I've still gotta improve my inputs to minimise SC interventions...

Fair call on your part. I'm not against pdk and hope to one day have the opportunity to try one out on track to see for myself how engaging it can be. I just wouldn't spend the kind of many one costs here to find out and as I'm sure is the case there, try before you buy really isn't an option here, especially on track...
Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

While the new metal will be faster than the old, as it always has been wtih Porsche, that statement presumes the new tech (PDK and RWS notably) makes an amateur driver closer to a pro driver, bridging the gap. Easier to drive faster in absolute terms doesn't mean easier to drive pro laptimes.

The extra sharpness, higher spring rates, enhanced grip and consequent speed at corner entry and overall faster section times will surely add new elements to the track experience.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Allow us to 'test' drive it on the track!

hope to one day have the opportunity to try one out on track to see for myself how engaging it can be. I just wouldn't spend the kind of many one costs here to find out and as I'm sure is the case there, try before you buy really isn't an option here, especially on track...
Good point...but why wouldn't Porsche make it 'an option' to try it out before purchase if it wanted to make the case for the 991 gt3? In North America, for example, all PCNA would have to do is announce a 991 gt3 test drive day at Barber's Sport Driving School in Alabama with Cass Whitehead and his fellow instructors, put a price on it ($1800) and challenge the 'doubters' to come drive it at the track before they buy! The same test drive program could be offered on the Porsche Sport Driving Schools in Australia, England, Germany, etc! This 'gt3 intro' would be different that the courses where they have previously offered students where they drive gt3's, which required attendance at all the entry levels courses and was intended more as a 'Master' or 'Advance' program. No, let anyone attend it and just let the instructor judge how fast they will let him drive it according to his driving skill level! It is just to give folks a 'taste' of the new 991 gt3's capabilities and see if they would be interested in purchasing such a vehicle afterwards! Let's see if Porsche has the 'imagination' to offer such a program! It would be a great education for all concerned!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Frayed wrote :
While the new metal will be faster than the old, as it always has been wtih Porsche, that statement presumes the new tech (PDK and RWS notably) makes an amateur driver closer to a pro driver, bridging the gap. Easier to drive faster in absolute terms doesn't mean easier to drive pro laptimes.
..I’m sorry, but the rear wheel steering, even if it's still may be very efficient ..still make me think about some thing “that” (with a computer at the helm in the “rear cabin”) !!

Quick Reply: Article regarding he death of manual