Article regarding he death of manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Back to GT3 and PDK!
gt3 and PDK - Is that what we are discussing here? Nonsense, dear Igooz, don't believe a word of it. I heard it directly from Herr Wiedeking successor at Porsche's helm (CEO Matthias Muller) that:

"...as long as the customer asks for it, says Muller, Porsche will build a stick-shift 911. The next GT3, he says, will not have a PDK transmission".

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz2VDYB3gq2

Could Herr Muller, like Weideking before him, lead us wrong? Impossible, Igooz, just impossible! I am not even German but I always trust my 'leader', especially when he in interviewed in public and published in a automotive magazine. We will get a manual on the 991 gt3 sooner or later, dear Igooz, you will see!

Back to Weideking...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Professional racing is BUSINESS. Stupid article about how a professional driver needs a PDK to be faster than another professional driver with a PDK.

We are talking about STREET car, 991 GT3, fully computer controlled on 20" wheels.

And here is another article, read the end of it, where they drive PDK 911 against manual and what they say (I totally agree with these guys).

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun...arshift.48922/
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Professional racing is BUSINESS. Stupid article about how a professional driver needs a PDK to be faster than another professional driver with a PDK.

We are talking about STREET car, 991 GT3, fully computer controlled on 20" wheels.

And here is another article, read the end of it, where they drive PDK 911 against manual and what they say (I totally agree with these guys).

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun...arshift.48922/
Not exactly an indictment of PDK, but ok, they like manuals (as do I). Still, the article is comparing a manual to old PDK in a Carrera not PDK-S in a GT3 so it's a bit short of a meaningful comparison, even for a street car.

BTW, the 991 GT3 isn't "fully computer controlled"; a driver is required. Trying just sitting in a GT3 and see if anything happens.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 AM
frayed
Race Car

Fully computer controlled, LOL. We're just 6 months away from the new GT3 showing up in Wrecked Exotics (unfortunately).

NoPasaran, what car do you drive now? Were you planning on the new GT3 if it came with a stick? I'm just trying to better understand your irrational emotional response to the new rig.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Checkout: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...nsmission3.htm
"The 956 and 962C racecars included the Porsche Dual Klutch, or PDK. In 1986, a Porsche 962 won the Monza 1000 Kilometer World Sports Prototype Championship race -- the first win for a car equipped with the PDK semi-automatic paddle-shifted transmission. Audi also made history in 1985 when a Sport quattro S1 rally car equipped with dual-clutch transmission won the Pikes Peak hill climb, a race up the 4,300-meter-high mountain." Seems you guys don't realize the PDK was developed by Porsche as a Racing Transmission for their Fastest Race cars, the 956 and 962, and not street use. So let me get this straight: You Manual Transmission Fanboys are pissed off at Porsche because they are putting a racing transmission in their GT3 race car which you believe makes it less of a race car.!!!!
NOW HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?????
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you read anything? At all?

People are pissed because they don't have an option!!! !!!

And you can't say race car in the same sentence with 20" wheels. Period.

The fact that you are using data points from almost 30 years ago says enough.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

This is not a race car. I don't intend to race this car ever. I may not even put this car on a track ever. I don't race for business or money, so if I do take the car on a track, it is to test my own ability, to have the satisfaction of knowing I did a good job "driving" the car and not to win any money or trophy . If I can beat someone using a 475hp (probably underrated) GT3 with super-fast PDK transmission against a 6-speed manual Miata, there is no glory or satisfaction. I just have a quicker car. I would not be buying a GT3 to have a "quicker" car, but a car that is more "fun" to drive. Just like if I play a video game, I want to "play" it well and not hack it to have "autofire" or "invincibility" so that I can get a higher score with less effort.

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Checkout: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...nsmission3.htm
"The 956 and 962C racecars included the Porsche Dual Klutch, or PDK. In 1986, a Porsche 962 won the Monza 1000 Kilometer World Sports Prototype Championship race -- the first win for a car equipped with the PDK semi-automatic paddle-shifted transmission. Audi also made history in 1985 when a Sport quattro S1 rally car equipped with dual-clutch transmission won the Pikes Peak hill climb, a race up the 4,300-meter-high mountain." Seems you guys don't realize the PDK was developed by Porsche as a Racing Transmission for their Fastest Race cars, the 956 and 962, and not street use. So let me get this straight: You Manual Transmission Fanboys are pissed off at Porsche because they are putting a racing transmission in their GT3 race car which you believe makes it less of a race car.!!!!
NOW HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?????
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
This is not a race car. I don't intend to race this car ever. I may not even put this car on a track ever. I don't race for business or money, so if I do take the car on a track, it is to test my own ability, to have the satisfaction of knowing I did a good job "driving" the car and not to win any money or trophy . If I can beat someone using a 475hp (probably underrated) GT3 with super-fast PDK transmission against a 6-speed manual Miata, there is no glory or satisfaction. I just have a quicker car. I would not be buying a GT3 to have a "quicker" car, but a car that is more "fun" to drive. Just like if I play a video game, I want to "play" it well and not hack it to have "autofire" or "invincibility" so that I can get a higher score with less effort.
Based on your comments, you really don't need a GT3. Any Porsche would do regardless of year so long as it is manual.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, except that a GT3 will have more power, better exhaust sound, lowered suspension and trick body work and interior which adds to "fun" both in terms of driving and in terms of appearance.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Based on your comments, you really don't need a GT3. Any Porsche would do regardless of year so long as it is manual.

So you plan on racing your GT3? Or using it any differently than he said, which is how almost every GT3 owner will use them?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terrence
Yes, except that a GT3 will have more power, better exhaust sound, lowered suspension and trick body work and interior which adds to "fun" both in terms of driving and in terms of appearance.
I am somewhat puzzled. Are you planning to buy a 991GT3 or not? I can't tell from your posts.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

The comment from the article referenced earlier in this thread by Matthias Muller is quite intriguing.
The Porsche Boss said ""The reason for the wheelbase increase is to improve comfort and dynamics. Walter Rohrl has driven the car 13sec faster than a 997 around the Nurburgring."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz2VOxvni4D

Porsche has not yet published a Nurburgring Laptime. The question is which 997 model was the 991 GT3 13 seconds faster than? If it was the previous 997 GT3 (7:40) it means 7:27 If it was the 997
GT3RS (7:33) it was 7:20 and if it was the 997 GT3RS 4.0 (7:27) it implies 7:14 (although I would seriously doubt that one) In any event, In the worst case, it looks like the 991 GT3 has lapped at 7:27
which is substantially lower than their estimate of "Sub 7:30" lap time, 2 seconds faster than the 991 Turbo and only one second slower than the 991 Turbo S. Of course the GT3 is usually shipped with "R" compound tires and the Turbo with normal street rubber, but the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires Porsche is using on the Turbos are most likely far closer to R compounds than the previous "normal" street tires. Dunlop Sport Maxx Tires were also on the Nissan GT-R a few months ago when they ran a lap at 7:19.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

OOPS! Disregard! I Just noticed the date of that "new"Motor Trend article as being Sept. 20, 2011 so it apparently refers to the original 997 Carrera S laptime rather than our GT3 thread. Guess we have to stay with the "Sub 7:30" time promised for the GT3 and wait a bit longer for the Nurburgring laptimes while wondering where the incredible 1:08.00 on the Hockenheim Short Track came from.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
So you plan on racing your GT3? Or using it any differently than he said, which is how almost every GT3 owner will use them?

I play to enjoy the car to the best of my abilities.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911
Have you read anything? At all?

People are pissed because they don't have an option!!! !!!

And you can't say race car in the same sentence with 20" wheels. Period.

The fact that you are using data points from almost 30 years ago says enough.
Le Mans cars were running 20s in what 1998? I seem to remember. And GT3 Cups were running 18s, now 19s. They'll be on 20s soon... Ferrari and the rears on the McLaren are 20s. That's the future and it looks better so get used to it.

Quick Reply: Article regarding he death of manual