Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Thanks for the reply gents. I thought that was really odd for them to ask for the mark up. His reasoning was that it was limited production and since I'm paying it all at once, the dealer makes less money so that is why they want the mark up. He specifically said cash customers generally pays more because they can't make finance charges on them. What a load of $&$^. If he was the only Dealer in town I would rather get a 458, thankfully there are others.
It could be the sales guy was being serious about the finance angle -- if he can sell a finance product to a sucker, it's possible (ethics aside) for him to write up a higher profit for the dealership and himself. There's a variety of ways to fleece the customer with financing and lease products. In short, for example if he sells the car and sells a Porsche Financial Services (PFS) lease, then he has effectively sold two products and two profitable transactions in the two respective revenue centers of the business. PFS is probably quite happy to be utilizing their cash to get 5-6% from secured loan retail customers when their cost of money is maybe 0.25% and their risk in recovering their own vehicle is already built into their actuarial tables in their favor.

All I can suggest is that the dealer has turned over one of his cards, so you call them on it. Offer to buy a lease product in return for a $2K discount off MSRP, otherwise, you're strictly cash-n-carry at sticker subject to market conditions at the time of sale. This puts the risk on them to say "no" to a customer offer (always requires the eyes of everyone responsible for the dealer franchise) and keeps you safe above water until these cars start to arrive in the fall and you get real facts, not Web forum speculation from the likes of me about the expected reality. : )

Worst case, you agree to buy at msrp and let the clock run down.

On your side of the table, it's a discretionary purchase from one or other dealer of a car of one brand or another -- consumption of a luxury durable, not a compelling event.

On their side of the table it's do or die to meet the monthly quota and keep their job.
Who's under more pressure, who's motivated to make concessions to conclude a deal?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi Everyone, Im new to the forum but will be ordering my first Porsche next week. One question I have is: Are you guys being charged over sticker? My local dealer wants and additional 10K. I find it ridiculous for a made to order product. Im in NY. Thanks in advance for your replies.
You may have a bigger problem than the up charge of $10,000 for I assume ordering the 991GT3. The dealer does not have any allocations and will not have until May 9th. Therefore, you will not be ordering the car next week unless you are ordering another model.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I wouldn't be surprised to see this GT3 arrive like the 997.2 GT3 to a rather lukewarm reception. I just don't see any compelling "gotta have it" factor in this car other than it's been all of two years since you could buy a new GT3. Now they can spit them out of the Carrera production line, they'll be as common as Carreras. I don't want to be paying even full msrp in November only to find they're discounting the things in January (which I full well expect to be the case, especially if the economy continues to descend back into deeper recession.)

I'm quite excited to play with the thing. If it lives up to the hype. Still and all the same, I'm getting this one with all the heartfelt conviction of "may as well" and it will be little more than a temp until the RS eventuates. The GT3 can't convince me to buy the RS, but it can convince me not to buy the RS (if f'rinstance the handling is sheet or the steering is the same video game feedback as the 991 Carrera.)
I suppose I'm more optimistic about the car's prospects than you and some others are, and I believe that will be borne out once independent testing begins, but that's neither here nor there. I posted this elsewhere, but my salesman and friend tells me that they are no longer taking names for their waiting list because they have more people lined up than they expect allocations for in the next couple of years. He says people are calling from across the country trying to get on his list because their local dealers are no longer taking names. Rennlister Macca has reported that New Zealand dealers have full lists through 2014.

There are probably isolated exceptions to this in some areas, but I think demand will be greater worldwide than you suggest. I won't speculate on Porsche's production plans for the car, but I also don't think we will be seeing discounts in January. It doesn't surprise me that some dealers are trying to gouge with markups. My dealer has a "no markup" policy and they have always treated me fairly with discounts in the past. Under the circumstances, paying MSRP for this car doesn't cause me heartburn.

This car will be a keeper for me. I don't think the delta between the RS and GT3 will be worth the premium, but that's a personal choice.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-19-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I suppose I'm more optomistic about the car's prospects than you and some others are, and I believe that will be borne out once independent testing begins, but that's neither here nor there. I posted this elsewhere, but my salesman and friend tells me that they are no longer taking names for their waiting list because they have more people lined up than they expect allocations for in the next couple of years. He says people are calling from across the country trying to get on his list because their local dealers are no longer taking names. Rennlister Macca has reported that New Zealand dealers have full lists through 2014.

There are probably isolated exceptions to this in some areas, but I think demand will be greater worldwide than you suggest. I won't speculate on Porsche's production plans for the car, but I also don't think we will be seeing discounts in January. It doesn't surprise me that some dealers are trying to gouge with markups. My dealer has a "no markup" policy and they have always treated me fairly with discounts in the past. Under the circumstances, paying MSRP for this car doesn't cause me heartburn.

This car will be a keeper for me. I don't think the delta between the RS and GT3 will be worth the premium, but that's a personal choice.
Completely agree. And, I have an opportunity to buy a <2k mile, full leather, grey/red 2011 RS for fair money; as I just sold my 2010 3. I am still considering the 991 3, however, am struggling with just getting the 11 RS and being done with it.

I believe the car will have killer performance. Wish it had a manual option and sport buckets of course (I believe they will come). With that said, I may have a hard time selecting between a stick and PDK-S.

The 991 may share an assembly line; not so sure that means any less quality or more production. Porsche produced as many .2s as there were buyers. Nothing new there.

BTW Hennessy has all its allocations full and Ellis was charging $15k mark ups last I spoke with them.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I'm more optomistic about the car's prospects than you and some others are, and I believe that will be borne out once independent testing begins, but that's neither here nor there. I posted this elsewhere, but my salesman and friend tells me that they are no longer taking names for their waiting list because they have more people lined up than they expect allocations for in the next couple of years. He says people are calling from across the country trying to get on his list because their local dealers are no longer taking names. Rennlister Macca has reported that New Zealand dealers have full lists through 2014.

I agree with much of what you said.

As for keeper. . . . every time new metal finds its way into the garage I think the same thing. Then something new comes out and eventually I talk myself into a change.

It's funny. All these guys bashing the GT3 for having a tarted up carrera engine, RWS, PDK, centerlocks, etc. But all what really matters is the drive, and particularly, whether it really is faster, more accessible on track while being a better street car.

I think it will be a better street car, even if less visceral than the prior GT3s, while providing all the track performance a person like me needs. I go to the track for entertainment. I don't make money there (rather burn a lot), and it represents purely fun and a bit of a release from the daily grind.

I would rather have a manual to be honest since I'm not much of a PDK fan, but other than that I believe the new GT3 will deliver the goods.

All these 997 GT3/RS owners really ought to heed own words and buy a 996 GT3. That car was edgier, narlier, less accessible and more rewarding than the far more refined 997s. It also was a far worse street car. Exactly what you guys need!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
As for keeper. . . . every time new metal finds its way into the garage I think the same thing. Then something new comes out and eventually I talk myself into a change.
I've been in that exact place you describe......for 45 years. I kept my 3.2 Carrera for 13 years, but that was by far the longest I've ever owned any car. It hit a sweet spot that kept me from craving change for a long time. I'm hoping this car does something similar and if it does I'll be in my 70's, sports cars will likely be high mileage hybrids, and I'll no longer feel the need for the "latest and greatest".
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Dan39
Racer

I agree. I got one of the first Cayman S' that came to Canada and that was a tremendous car right out of the gate.

The GT3 RS, particularly the .2 versions with their wild color schemes, just looked ridiculous on the street to me. Almost like driving a Lambo - don't think I could do it.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan39
The GT3 RS, particularly the .2 versions with their wild color schemes, just looked ridiculous on the street to me. Almost like driving a Lambo - don't think I could do it.
Agreed.

I was talking to the GM of my local dealership this afternoon. He took in my Ferrari when I went back to Porsche, and he was the GM of the local Ferrari dealership. He was telling me about one of his customers who had multiple Fcars, Lambos. Eventually he went back to a 991S, in black.

Customer said that owning these kinds of cars attract too much attention, most of it unwanted. Women tend not to give a crap about cars like these, but teenage boys do. Ugh.

Having 'been there' I completely agree.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I
All these 997 GT3/RS owners really ought to heed own words and buy a 996 GT3. That car was edgier, narlier, less accessible and more rewarding than the far more refined 997s. It also was a far worse street car. Exactly what you guys need!
i did/do. had 7 996gt3 and trying to find another.

i do like the 991gt3, but just not the same love
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Thanks for the reply gents. I thought that was really odd for them to ask for the mark up. His reasoning was that it was limited production and since I'm paying it all at once, the dealer makes less money so that is why they want the mark up. He specifically said cash customers generally pays more because they can't make finance charges on them. What a load of $&$^. If he was the only Dealer in town I would rather get a 458, thankfully there are others.
he is so full of it.
ask him, " so what are you making on the back end from financing? and tell him you will gladly finance the car for <1.99% preferably at 0%".

they make more than enough no the msrp, it's about 15-18%. greed kills.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Now they can spit them out of the Carrera production line, they'll be as common as Carreras.
The 997.2 GT3 was built on the same line as the Carrera. Only 700 built. Was the Mezger the limiting factor?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Dude-
Pro

I agree Mooty, I'll be ordering my gt3 from who ever appreciated their customers.

I've been a Lamborghini fan for years and for some reason this gt3 hits the spot.
They did a great job with this one.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brake dust
The 997.2 GT3 was built on the same line as the Carrera. Only 700 built. Was the Mezger the limiting factor?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think more than 700 7.2 GT3 were build. Maybe 700 for America but 1500 overall?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by brake dust
Originally Posted by Macca
I think more than 700 7.2 GT3 were build. Maybe 700 for America but 1500 overall?
According to Wikipedia (sourced from Total 911 Magazine) from 2009-2011 approximately 1600 997.2 GT3 RS's alone were built worldwide. Figures aren't available for the standard 997.2 GT3 but it would probably be a safe guess that between the two models there were over 3000 997.2 GT3/RS cars built. Not particularly rare.

Given that volume, I'd be surprised if the Mezger was a limiting factor.

Quick Reply: Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered