Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Post made my evening.
Oh, then you would have enjoyed the R rated version all the more. This was just the PG-13 cut. The full grind Tarantino editors cut got a bit long-winded and I keep trying to abridge my rants (though it can be hard to detect ...)

"I would have written you a short note, but I didn't have time."
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

LOL i want R version
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sorry, recent statements from top Porsche executives have taken the air out of the 961 balloon. They all state there is no need for one given the 991tt and TTS presently compete with the 458 and MP12. Also, VW has the Lambo and R8 in the mid-engine market. No need for the car in the VW model ranges.
Nick: I have been around long enough to know better than to put a lot of trust & faith in any 'recent statement' from Porsche executives. Even less so if it comes from the current CEO Matthias Muller. It is not beyond the realm of possibilities that Porsche executives responsible for certain product lines (e.g. 991 Turbo & S and 918 Spyder) will deny rumors of the 961 so as to maintain their customers that would otherwise wait for the 'affordable' ÜBER ALLES model - the 961! Mark my words, the 961 will happen for three reasons: a) because they have the ability to produce it (engine from the 918 & light weight construction) b) because there is a strong market demand for it (us); c) and because they need it for market reasons (i.e. competition on the track & reputation)!

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The turbo competes with the what now? I think I see their line of reasoning...Isn't this exactly the kind of anti-trust crap that goes on when mergers lead to monopoly giants that turn on their customers?
First of all, Adam, VW doesn't have a monopoly on automobiles or sportscars. They can do anything they please regarding what model lineup to offer the public and we have no legal recourse to do anything about it.

But that is not what they will do. They will pit Porsche against Audi - they will do it a LeMans and they will do it in the showrooms. And the winner will be...VW and us the consumers! Don't worry about that. Competition is good!

I do agree with you that if even one Porsche executive truly BELIEVES that the 991 Turbo S is their 'FeFi', he needs to get off his medications ASAP or be rushed to the nearest health asylum to recuperate. You were correct to point out recently that the Fe that they will need to face & fight is the replacement of the 458 Italia and the about to be announced 458 'Scuderia' gt model! Without knowing yet the full details of what that next Ferrari model will be like, all we can say is that a 961 is for sure needed to compete in this extremely competent environment! In fact, the 961 will be mandatory for Porsche to produce! That is why there is no question in my mind that the 961 will arrive...and sooner than later!

Saludos,
Eduardo
enjoying the fresh mountain air in Vail...but not yet inside the asylum!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my 918 VP Spyder package last week. Understand why the performance figures are not better. Weight is quite a bit more than expected, "under 3750 lbs." ~600 lbs more than previous Carrera GT.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
As Chris Harris recently said, I would like to imagine what this 918 would have been without the weight, complexity and potential reliability issues with the 'Hybrid' elements - electric motors, battery! Regardless of recent doubts expressed here that the 961 is shelved, I am pretty sure we will see that FeFi sooner than later! I, for one, am looking forward to this model at just under $300K...with the combustion engine similar to the 918 (reportedly 'four adjustable camshafts & a complex multistage intake manifold') and with many other of the innovative weight saving construction & materials developed for the 918! While the 918 will lose money for Porsche, the 961 will be profitable because it will benefit from the sunken cost in developing the 918 technology that will be employed in the lesser model! The 961 will sell in greater numbers and be profitable - both to the bottom line of the VW Group and to Porsche's reputation on the track. It is no coincidence it is referred to as the FeFi. This is a model I could relate to, aspire to, save my pennies to perhaps purchase in the future! The 918 is beyond the reach of 99% of the Porsche consumer. The 961 is where Porsche needs to go...and I am pretty certain it will get there soon! The 918 will be a small footnote in Porsche's automotive history.

Saludos.
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Well put, Eduardo, Well put. Such a 961 would definitely get my attention. May it be brought forth sooner rather than later.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Oh, then you would have enjoyed the R rated version all the more. This was just the PG-13 cut. The full grind Tarantino editors cut got a bit long-winded and I keep trying to abridge my rants (though it can be hard to detect ...)

"I would have written you a short note, but I didn't have time."
Sod that...I want the effin NC17....nothing screams over the Tarantino top..more than an expletive laced rant complete with visually confronting imagery.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

In fact, the 961 will be mandatory for Porsche to produce! That is why there is no question in my mind that the 961 will arrive...and sooner than later!
Agree 100%. Just look at the current grids. Ten years GT racing was dominated by Porsche ( a profit center). Today, only a few 911s on the grid. I still predict the 960/961 will carry the flag for top flight GT racing in the future with the 911 being relagated to cup racing.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Eduardo, a 961 will siphon off sales from top 911 models like the TT which is a VERY profitable car for Porsche. It does not make economic sense for a company to compete against its own profitable products like the R8 and Gallardo.

The 911 is a model Porsche wants to protect. If they wanted to compete against it with a mid-engine car they would have powered the Cayman or built off it chassis. That they will not do.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Ahh neither R8 (Audi flagship loss leader)..nor Gallardo (pack me a warehouse full of 'em) have been especially profitable for VW....at least in past couple of years.

And Porsche rather eyes the battle with Ferrari....so FeFi is rather more likely than not.

Nick - Happy to give you a ride in my FeFi when it rocks up!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
First of all, Adam, VW doesn't have a monopoly on automobiles or sports cars. They can do anything they please regarding what model lineup to offer the public and we have no legal recourse to do anything about it.
Well, first of first of all's, don't start holding my hyperbolic feet to the flaming facts! : ) Anyway, if you're buying a sports car, what marque is not owned by VW?

VW isn't turning me away from the Porsche showroom, but if the 991 RS is junk or just plain too expensive to drive on the track, I won't be cutting off my nose to spite my face (ie. buying a BMW or Mercedes) I'll just go back in time and drop a 4.3 in a 997.1 GT3, cut the fenders and bolt on RSR suspension ... : )

I'm all for competition on the track and in the showroom, but VW will not bring real competition in its ranks, it may well bring the kind of pseudo-competition like Republican Party vs. Democratic party, but I think that's too much like hard work and they don't need to fool whole nations with the illusion of free choice, they just need to convince some well-healed types that their neighbors won't respect them if they don't update their "old" first-kid-on-the-block status symbol with the new one.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another possible hindrance to 918 sales is the deposit system and wait combination.... Even if you drop a million on a car, who wants to be sitting on a 400k deposit for 2/3/4 years? As we get closer to production / delivery, I wonder if there will be a pop (small or large) in orders...

I also agree with Z356 - VW pitting Porsche and Audi, maybe even Lambo against each other is awesome for us... Will force the cars to get better - Porsche may get better design for an exotic, Audi will get a bit of attitude / sexiness, Lambo will get reliability... As they improve in any way, all the others will be forced to improve further as well.. I'm not sure if the parent company would ever change a decision for me, but I do think it will create better products for me
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Anyway, if you're buying a sports car, what marque is not owned by VW?
You are so right. I can't think of anyone else in Germany, the UK, Italy or the US making so-called 'sports cars'. I think you got that covered - its just VW or...nothing!

I'm all for competition on the track and in the showroom, but VW will not bring real competition in its ranks
VW is not doing anything Porsche was not doing before when it was an 'independent' manufacturer. The Cayman and Boxster were held back in horse power and rear chassis development long before Porsche suffered through the debacle of Wendelin Weideking's speculation and fell into the welcoming arms of Wolfsburg!

It may well bring the kind of pseudo-competition like Republican Party vs. Democratic party, but I think that's too much like hard work and they don't need to fool whole nations with the illusion of free choice
Adam, love to deviate off-topic if you wish and/or if the moderators will allow it! There is a world of difference between today's Conservative Republican Party and the current Ultra Liberal Democrat Party here in the United States. Perhaps you haven't been keeping up with the news...like in the last decade or so! But if you come to be convinced otherwise and believe that this nation no longer gives you 'free choice', just like the odious VW monopoly that makes the only sport cars in this world, let me just say that you can elect to return to your native Australia, throw a sandwich at your Lady Prime Minister and drive around in a fast Holden! At least you have that to look forward too!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado

Quick Reply: Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package