Adaptive sport seat failure on 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adaptive sport seat failure on 991

Hello,
My name is Sam and I just joined. I have been following the GT3 forum for a long time and it was the initial information here that made me order one, instead of the new Turbo. Quite an impressive group here on this forum. I am number 4 or 5 on my dealer's list for a GT3 so hopefully get mine in the spring. I currently have a 2013 C4S PDK that I have tracked for a total of 12 days since I bought it January (I go to Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX). For the hardcore MT guys, I am sorry! I do admit I am not experienced but I am having fun learning how to go fast!
I wanted to post here because of a seat problem with my C4S that I wanted to share. Since those seats will be offered on the GT3, I thought it may be OK to post here. I have the Sport adaptive seats. I typically inflate the bolsters to max while on track. This past weekend, the chest bolsters failed. Dealer believes it is a ruptured bladder from the cornering forces. He can't even find the part number so they are in touch with Porsche so who knows when will that come. Since I use mine as a DD, and will do same with the GT3, sport buckets are not my best option. For those who plan to track the car, those "compromise" sport adaptive seats may be a problem. I was planning on ordering them on the GT3 but now, perhaps I should get the seats that do not adjust. Not sure what is the bolster position though!
Has anyone experienced this before? If not, I thought posting it may be "good to know". Thanks in advance.
Sam
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have them on my '11 GT3 and "tighten" them before I go to the track. No problems after two years...:-) My order for the 991 GT3 includes the "no-cost" standard sport seats since I'll rip them out as soon as I get them and put Euro-sourced buckets in. Don't care about the airbag light :-) With a little luck, by next year, buckets will be available as an option...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ask for a new seat! they sould be able to replace the bladder. Just make sure they reinstall the seat cover exactly as new.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the 997 Adaptive Sport Seats in my Turbo for 4 track seasons, and although they never “failed”, I’m 6 feet / 190 lbs so I found the side bolsters were pretty useless at holding me in place so I’ve switched to a Recaro bucket & harness which makes a MASSIVE difference on the track (although are not great for street use). I have a 991 GT3 coming as well so I’m just ordering the standard sport seats and will be upgrading to something else immediately upon getting the car (or maybe will use my Recaro until the proper Porsche Sport Buckets become available).
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
I used the 997 Adaptive Sport Seats in my Turbo for 4 track seasons, and although they never “failed”, I’m 6 feet / 190 lbs so I found the side bolsters were pretty useless at holding me in place so I’ve switched to a Recaro bucket & harness which makes a MASSIVE difference on the track (although are not great for street use). I have a 991 GT3 coming as well so I’m just ordering the standard sport seats and will be upgrading to something else immediately upon getting the car (or maybe will use my Recaro until the proper Porsche Sport Buckets become available).
I'm just about your size so it's interesting to get the feedback on the ***. I have sport buckets in my Carrera and it's hard to imagine not having them in the GT3. I will likely do the same thing you are contemplating; get the standard seats and see if I can work out something with the dealership to get buckets at their cost when they become available. I'll be paying MSRP on the car, so they ought to be willing to give me a break on the seats.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm just about your size so it's interesting to get the feedback on the ***. I have sport buckets in my Carrera and it's hard to imagine not having them in the GT3. I will likely do the same thing you are contemplating; get the standard seats and see if I can work out something with the dealership to get buckets at their cost when they become available. I'll be paying MSRP on the car, so they ought to be willing to give me a break on the seats.

My thoughts EXACTLY – I’ll be looking for a good deal on those seats! I’ve driven & ridden in many cars with the current sport buckets and they are the perfect all-round seat for DD & track use (and they look amazing).
Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you so much for all the input. I am 6'4" and 230lbs, which probably had something to do with the failure? They are still awaiting response from Porsche re the bladder/seat.

Quick Reply: Adaptive sport seat failure on 991