Sponsored by:

Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the official NBR time for the GT2 RS like 7:18 with its old school attributes? Why would one spend 3 times as much to go slower... This car is going to have trouble staying ahead of a 991 RS considering the 991GT3 is sub 7:30... Just saying....
You are correct. Official time is 7:18 for the GT2 RS.

Don't know what tires the 918 was on though, that has to be a factor. But the time for the money is certainly not impressive.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
You are correct. Official time is 7:18 for the GT2 RS.

Don't know what tires the 918 was on though, that has to be a factor. But the time for the money is certainly not impressive.
If the times quoted by the OP as being official from Porsche are accurate then they are disgraceful IMO. Especially when the similarly priced McLaren and Ferrari are miles ahead in performance according to current information. Any half smart tycoons will know exactly where to spend their $$$s.... Without class leading performance, for me, the 918 has nothing to offer.

FWIW, if a GT2rs was good for 7:18 or even 7:20, i'd expect the proposed 960 car to do 7:10ish or less and the 918, 7:00 or less.

Last edited by 911rox; 03-24-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 918...and the 960!

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm guessing they're searching far and wide for prospects to move a few 918 orders. I have to think the 918 is pretty much an ultra riche market bauble for the China, Russia, Middle East ... should that be an acronym ... CRIME markets?
Originally Posted by savyboy
918=biggest boondoggle ever. Cannot comprehend on any level why someone would want to buy one.
Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i got the package also and found it funny that biggest perk of buying the 918 is that porsche will then give me priority to buy future exclusive models. i mean, if they need to solicite me to buy the 918 in the 1st place, why would i need priority to buy a future model?
Originally Posted by gibbyc4s
Some of you will need to go out and buy a few.
They're way short of the worldwide sales number of 918 units sold (they're st about 400).
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can't imagine them ever selling 918 units? Just not enough collectors out there.
Originally Posted by savyboy
And just because I cannot resist- "collectors" of what exactly? Examples of corporate mistakes? Excess? Engineering for no good purpose? Who thought up the 918 and who gave the final stamp of approval? One man? The board? All this time, effort and money to develop this concept which could have been directed instead in so many more beneficial directions. All we got is an exercise in tying together a bunch of systems for the sake of complexity. For the life of me I cannot appreciate what could possibly have been behind the idea. A carbon fiber life support system for a battery. Why why why? The new Porsche brand...everything is heavier, more complex, more expensive
Originally Posted by Nizer
I look at the 918 as a very expensive R&D exercise in preparation for the new realty and Porsche has wisely opted to get their "best" customers to fund a large chunk.
Originally Posted by Jon70
I agree. This car is going to flop.
Originally Posted by nycartdealer
Porsche does NOT make too many marketing mistakes as of late if I remember correctly. People laughed when they announced the Cayenne and Panamera. Looks who is laughing now.
The quotes above highlight some of the issues I worry about re: 918 Spyder! Porsche started its US marketing agenda with a special preview for VIP's & prospective 918 buyers at the Monterey Jet Center with a prototype during the August 'Historics' in 2010. Then in March of 2011, Porsche announced more details:

$845,000 MSRP before options.
$200,000 to secure your order.
Another $200,000 once allocation is up and you need to spec.
Final remaining payment rendered 60 days before delivery.

For those that put a deposit down, it was followed up with a special invitation to Zuffenhausen & the test track at Leipzig, including dinners with Dr. Wolfgang Porsche & his wife. They also had a 918 RSR prototype on display in Carmel for the 2011 'Historics' week, along with a special dinner for prospective buyers. Sometime last year (2012), they started asking for the additional deposit...and it was now a firm commitment! The $400K (or so) was no longer refundable! Porsche put on various dog & pony shows for the 918 in 2012. They selected venues both in the US & Canada and had prototypes able to give prospective buyers a 'limited' test drive!

I have asked a friend that has $400,000 or more currently committed to the 918 why he was doing it. He has a 'Carrera GT' and loves it. He told me he wants to try it out. If he doesn't like it as much as his current 'Carrera GT', he will sell it. He thinks he can make a profit if he decides on the latter. 'Someone in China will want it' was his reply. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Part of the appeal to him is the 'exclusivity' and the courtship by Porsche over the last few years. I doubt he will approve of the current mass marketing 'blast' we are discussing on this thread. I am wondering if Porsche, regardless of its past record, is NOT making a major marketing mistake with this model? Time will tell. But for the sake of the 960, I sure hope they succeed...if only to break even!

Originally Posted by gibbyc4s
Then they can start to promote the 960 but until then it's green packages to random customers.
This is the car that Porsche needs to get 100% 'right'! Hopefully, the resources and engineering talent currently being used to finalize the 918 are going to be soon fully allocated & committed to 960 project! Although seemingly unrelated, I think the first test of Porsche's commitment to that 'goal' will be how track-focused they actually make the upcoming 991 gt3 RS! It has to buy them (and us) time before they are ready to unleash to the world the 960! That is the FeFi! That is 'The Great White Hope' vs big Red! This track focused mindset is needed at Porsche Motorsport to make sure the 960 doesn't become a 'gizmo' high tech exercise! They need to make it lean & mean! They can't afford to disappoint on that one! My dos centavos.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Car obsessed all my life. My first word was car, but did not give Porsche a second look until getting into DE.
Now I'm charmed by 964RS, 993TT and 997RS for DE, from a driving pleasure, knowledge base and depreciation perspective.

The CGT never really spoke to me because it seems so far out of my reality taking the CGT to DE. Just like private jets don't really interest me. Must be nice but maybe next life.

If I'm not going to DE it there are many nice old charming as well as new techy cars out there, some that may even last a few laps. Some are awesome fun to drive, beautiful to look at, cool to sit in but just don't hold up, like Fiats and Astons. Some are just plain extremely capable like AMG's. I'd pick all over Porsche if I'd never go to the track.

At any money the 918 is still not interesting. The 960? Who knows I don't see many going to DE events.

Brings me to 991GT3 and all signs are wrong. Heavier, unproven and no manual all sound like less fun and less track worthy. It better prove to be unbreakable at the track for the 991RS to have any chance even if it is lighter then the 4.0 and comes with a manual.
If heavier and PDK it becomes just one of the rest... Mind you it may still be the best of the rest but now we will have options. A lightweight AMG or even SLS AMG, BMW is no longer a drivers car, GTR too heavy and not track worthy, a Corvette too cheap image and Chevy dealer, Viper is also $$ and Dodge dealer. The rest are sporty coups that the 991 is trying too hard to compete with.

If the 918 is a halo car...
Both product and marketing causes me to stand back and watch it unfold and I agree that all hope falls on the shoulders of a lightweight 991RS to keep the sporty image going for all the Cayennes and Panamera's.

Perhaps a 918 looking Cayman with 500HP light weight? But I suppose in the interest of market position the Cayman will always have to fight with one hand tied behind its back...

Maybe they will rebody it so they can charge $300k?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ring times:
918 7:14
GT2 RS 7:18

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some how I got a packet and I've only owned 3 Porsches in my lifetime
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Some how I got a packet and I've only owned 3 Porsches in my lifetime
They must think you're an especially gullible sucker.

(kidding!)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Lmao!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
I think Porsche were claiming 7:18 Mike and Sport Auto as an independent even achieved a 7:24... Even at the later, doesn't make a sound case for owning a 918 considering the maintenance costs that would be involved to maintain it...
Porsche is trying to do sub 7 minutes at the ring as a new goal... The 7:22 was the estimate when the car first came out. I don't care if the 960 has RWS and PDK S, as long as it is all carbon fiber, has no turbos, and no batteries. Porsche should build a carbon chassis around the size of the cayman, and put the engine from the GT3 boosted to 550 HP. The car just needs to be small and light. Having the 960 built out of carbon will already give it an edge on the ferrari. I also think they will attract more buyers with the car being carbon fiber and an extra 100k.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
That it is...but against the Macca P1, Fezza F70 (well that's what LaFerrai should have been called..), Huayra, and Koenig....overweight and underpowered.....

If you're dropping a buck..on a machine....i'm hardpressed to see the 918 making it to the top of the list.
I think this car will be a sales flop... and will be available for relatively deep discounts soon.. not publicly... but porsche won't sell many. It's almost like it was a top-down decision of the worst type... the committee at the top decided on a brand halo leader, and the engineers were tasked with making it happen.

Originally Posted by Slowekistan
Also more emotional due to totally revised software...
LOL!!!... exactly.

PS. received my 918 packet a few weeks ago... couldn't for the life of me understand why as I've never purchased a new porsche, or anything above $100k. they must really be desperate.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

marketing 101.
keeping the brand on your brain, you might buy a hybrid cayenne instead.
job done.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I got a packet too. I really liked the book, and the car, until I looked up the base price. $845,000! As a comparison, the F12 has a base price of $315K, and even if they were the same price, I would pick the F12. I did like the personal touch where a cell phone number of the brand manger was provided in the letter.

This car is going to make the GT3 RS look like a bargain. May be that is the point of a halo car, even though they will have trouble selling 918 units.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's almost like it was a top-down decision of the worst type... the committee at the top decided on a brand halo leader, and the engineers were tasked with making it happen.
I think you hit the nail on the head here: top down decision where the politically-correct board of a big company, with the requisite number of quota-fillers and lawyers and accountants and politicians on it, got together and decided for brand purposes they needed to produce some environmental statement car. That to me is the 918.

The engineers were assigned the task and then went out and dutifully did the best they could, which was to utterly fail to compete with McLaren and Ferrari. The 918 concept was not one that engineers came up with and the board approved and it was not one that answered the demands of customers.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
mgent
Instructor

One important consideration is the target market for the 918... How many of these guys take their Enzo/Veyron/FlaF/P1/Pagani/etc to the track for a few laps? How many only own 1 of the above? The new hypercars I believe will crush the 918 on the track, in the mags, etc... But the 918 is cool. For guys who have a bunch of cars, who have all the cool cars, it will be very interesting because it is cool. It will serve largely as a brand / design instrument for Porsche - helping to promote hybrid technologies for future use, likely including 911, boxster, etc...

Also, what were sales like on the CGT when it was launched? Target number vs actual sales, and the time needed to sell-out? I thought I remember that car selling on the slow side, and it was awesome, and remains awesome today...

Quick Reply: Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package