991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 06:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts
Default Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'

I'm planning/hoping to buy a nice 991.2 3RS which is CPO and has 13k miles on it. The car has been tracked, but the tracking history is unknown. The car has PCCB and, using the Carboteq tool, the front rotors are about 20-30% used up, and the rear rotors are about 50% used up. I'm guessing that PTV dragging the rear inner brake in corners is the reason for more heat and oxidation of carbon in the rear.

So now I have a dilemma: do I buy the car as-is for $240k and bite the bullet when it comes time to replace the rear rotors, or ask the dealer the reduce the price (he'll probably just sell it to someone else for the asking price, so I may lose the car), or ask the dealer if he can sell me the rear rotors at cost when the time comes to replace them?
Old 06-22-2023, 07:48 PM
LS-1
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

That's a pickle. I'd certainly bring it up to the dealer as a point of negotiation. I have not had the pleasure of owning a car with PCCBs from what I read they really can last.

Do you plan to track the car frequently or no? How long to you plan to own the car? Depending on your thinking there could determine how hard you go at the dealer for this.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:32 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

$240K is honestly quite pricey already for non-WP and 13K miles + heavy track use.

I say absolutely ask for a lower price.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 08:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS-1
That's a pickle. I'd certainly bring it up to the dealer as a point of negotiation. I have not had the pleasure of owning a car with PCCBs from what I read they really can last.

Do you plan to track the car frequently or no? How long to you plan to own the car? Depending on your thinking there could determine how hard you go at the dealer for this.
Will be tracked maybe a dozen days a year. Not sure how long I'd own it, at least a year or two, maybe several.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xec
$240K is honestly quite pricey already for non-WP and 13K miles + heavy track use.

I say absolutely ask for a lower price.
Based on listings on cars.com (admittedly asking prices, not sold prices), the price seems fair. What info are you seeing that makes you think it's quite pricey?
Old 06-22-2023, 09:13 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

At this point, these cars are worth MSRP at best. Maybe a little more for low mileage and WP, but the dealers sitting on inventory are delusional thinking they'll get suckers to pay 250-300k which I have seen ads for. FWIW, I replied to a few WTB threads 2 years ago because my car was almost a perfect match and the potential buyers went silent at a 220k ask. And the time, the car had 4k miles, no track, pristine paint, fully filmed, iron brakes, buckets, full leather. And I would never get a car with PCCB personally, doubly so if they're worn
Old 06-22-2023, 09:26 PM
inspire
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess I am the opposite, ever since I got PCCBs, I don't think I can go back. There is this guy that went 150K miles and his PCCBs have barely shown any wear at all!

View this post on Instagram
BudFox6 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 10:07 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 99 Posts

If you plan to track often then swap for steels… lots of aftermarket options

if you are only street driving you won’t need to replace rotors for tens of thousands of miles.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:40 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Where discs measured on or off car? On car measurements are usually overly pessimistic.

Get the car if all else checks out. You can always get near new take off rotors later for $8k - $10k or so.

We have PCCBs on all our GT cars and would never go back.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:41 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention you can also get PCCBs refurbished by a company in Europe for less than new. Maybe half or so, I forget their current price.
The following 3 users liked this post by johnsopa:
Booth9999 (06-26-2023), Larry Cable (06-23-2023), Manifold (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Where discs measured on or off car? On car measurements are usually overly pessimistic.

Get the car if all else checks out. You can always get near new take off rotors later for $8k - $10k or so.

We have PCCBs on all our GT cars and would never go back.
I believed measured on the car. I told the dealer that some people on RL said they need to be measured off the car, but dealer says the Carboteq instructions say measure on the car.

I'll ask the dealer if they can take a rotor off the car and see how the measurements compare. One rotor showed % used measurements of 26%, 50%, and 79%, which doesn't make sense.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:07 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that’s why they need to be measured off the car or at least the rotor needs to be turned so that the tool stays in exactly the same location relative to the car for each measurement.

TBH you might want to just ask for $5k off and get the car if all else checks out. It kind of seems you might be looking for a reason to **not** buy this one? I think you’ll see more cars coming onto the market, certainly not less.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tqevo
At this point, these cars are worth MSRP at best. Maybe a little more for low mileage and WP, but the dealers sitting on inventory are delusional thinking they'll get suckers to pay 250-300k which I have seen ads for. FWIW, I replied to a few WTB threads 2 years ago because my car was almost a perfect match and the potential buyers went silent at a 220k ask. And the time, the car had 4k miles, no track, pristine paint, fully filmed, iron brakes, buckets, full leather. And I would never get a car with PCCB personally, doubly so if they're worn
We've had 13% inflation over the past two years, so that adds about $26k to a $200k car if applied straight to car prices. Unless the economy tanks to the point where we get no inflation or some deflation, I'm not sure we're going back to prices of 2+ years ago on Porsches with low miles and a collectability aspect.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Yeah, that’s why they need to be measured off the car or at least the rotor needs to be turned so that the tool stays in exactly the same location relative to the car for each measurement.

TBH you might want to just ask for $5k off and get the car if all else checks out. It kind of seems you might be looking for a reason to **not** buy this one? I think you’ll see more cars coming onto the market, certainly not less.
At $240k, I was hoping the car was lightly tracked and rotors nearly fresh. But I'll ask the dealer to recheck to rotors. Maybe the lower numbers at the rear have something to do with interference from the car.
Larry Cable (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:16 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
At $240k, I was hoping the car was lightly tracked and rotors nearly fresh. But I'll ask the dealer to recheck to rotors. Maybe the lower numbers at the rear have something to do with interference from the car.
I think the numbers will get better if measured off the car but you’ll still see the relative difference front to rear.

With that type of difference front to rear I’m going to bet the car was tracked a good bit and by a driver that isn’t terribly skilled and really leans on PSM/PTV.
Manifold (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'