Sponsored by:

Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 12:37 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Doubt they did a flush. The only person who drove the car after replacing pads is a technician, and he said the brakes 'work' but a lot of pedal force still needed. I need to judge for myself and hope to test the car today.

I wouldn't say the .2 RS is a deal at these prices, but it's the last and best 991 GT car, and the last RS with a frunk, so I think there's a collectability aspect which will keep prices up. I think a bad recession is pretty much the only thing that will bring prices way down, and I don't rule out such a recession happening.
They should really do a flush, that's the most likely fix. right I don't mean like a Walmart deal, but at 1/2 the price of the new one on the secondary market.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 02:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Tested the RS after pads have been replaced, and I think the brakes feel fine now. Needs more pedal force than the 991.2 TTS, but that's to be expected since the TTS has more brake boost. Hopefully, we can get this deal finalized and I can take delivery in a few days. I don't think this RS is a good choice as a road car (too stiff and uncomposed on bad roads), but I expect that it will be a great track car.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-24-2023 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Larry Cable (06-24-2023), ParadiseGT3 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 01:47 AM
famoruwa
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Tested the RS after pads have been replaced, and I think the brakes feel fine now. Needs more pedal force than the 991.2 TTS, but that's to be expected since the TTS has more brake boost. Hopefully, we can get this deal finalized and I can take delivery in a few days. I don't think this RS is a good choice as a road car (too stiff and uncomposed on bad roads), but I expect that it will be a great track car.
It's fine on the road, as long as you're not daily driving. There's no question it's stiff but you'll find the right roads to take it out on.
Old 06-25-2023, 02:06 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

I prefer the .2 RS to my .2 turbo S on the road. I enjoy the taught suspension and direct feedback of the RS. I recently took a turbo owner for a ride in the RS and we hit some rough sections of road. He immediately commented on how composed the car felt over sharp bumps and how well it navigated rough features. He went on to say that it was not what he expecting after reading all the comments about the GT3 being so stiff and uncomfortable. That's exactly how I feel, I could easily daily drive it and truly enjoy it as a road car. I have several 4-5 hour drives and it's totally comfortable for me. It does seem like more work to drive, a little more taxing, but the suspension stiffness is not an issue for me and I have the LWBS. I think everyone has a threshold, just like exhaust sound level and there is no one answer for all regarding ride harshness.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Manifold (06-29-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 07:55 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't think this RS is a good choice as a road car (too stiff and uncomposed on bad roads), but I expect that it will be a great track car.
Set cold temps to about 29psi front and rear so hot street driving temps are about 32-33. Report back and give me a thumbs up lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnsopa:
catdog2 (06-25-2023), Larry Cable (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Harshness on the road is not the main issue. On a wavy road which throws the car around, this RS loses composure, and I’m comparing with numerous other Porsches I’ve driven on the same roads.

But even this isn’t the main reason I say it’s not a good road car. I say it because it’s not as much fun on the road as my other Porsches:

- 991.1 GT3 sounds better and has better handling on the road, and overall seems rawer

- 981 GT4 has a more interesting sound track and the engagement of manual

- 991.2 C4S cab because it’s a cab

​​​​​​- 991.2 TTS is more comfortable, more composed, and way more torque

​​​​​​- 992 TTS handles as well or better on the road (with proper alignment and Cup2 and SPASM), and is way faster

- 997.1 C2S because it’s a 997 and manual

- Cayman R feels smaller and lighter and crisper and it’s manual

To me, the 991.2 3RS feels like it was clearly designed as a track car. That doesn’t mean that it’s not tolerable or enjoyable as a road car, but I think lots of other cars are more fun as road cars, and at lower price points. So I shouldn’t say it’s not a good road car, but rather that it’s not as good a choice as a road-only car as many other cars (IMO).

Last edited by Manifold; 06-25-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:14 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 358 Posts

Harshness on the road is not the main issue. On a wavy road which throws the car around, this RS loses composure, and I’m comparing with numerous other Porsches I’ve driven on the same roads.

But even this isn’t the main reason I say it’s not a good road car. I say it because it’s not as much fun on the road as my other Porsches:

- 991.1 GT3 sounds better and has better handling on the road, and overall seems rawer

- 981 GT4 has a more interesting sound track and the engagement of manual

- 991.2 C4S cab because it’s a cab

​​​​​​- 991.2 TTS is more comfortable, more composed, and way more torque

​​​​​​- 992 TTS handles as well or better on the road (with proper alignment and Cup2 and SPASM), and is way faster

- 997.1 C2S because it’s a 997 and manual

- Cayman R feels smaller and lighter and crisper and it’s manual

To me, the 991.2 3RS feels like it was clearly designed as a track car. That doesn’t mean that it’s not tolerable or enjoyable as a road car, but I think lots of other cars are more fun as road cars, and at lower price points. So I shouldn’t say it’s not a good road car, but rather that it’s not as good a choice as a road-only car as many other cars (IMO).
Nice comparisons but nothing sounds like a GT3RS at full song and the pop it gives on up and downshifts with the PDK-S. It's a beast and has the best sounding version of the 4l now that opf/new sound regulations are on. For street driving I would drop tire pressures down to 28-30 F/R.

For OP, you can get 1/2 price used pccb's from teile.de and I would extend the cpo and enjoy it if it has the right options and color. Mine is also not WP because I hate the look with the dark hood/roof/spoiler. In general I would avoid heavily tracked cars if there are other options. I mean even Porsche recommends replacing certain parts (hubs I think) after so many track days; it's obviously more stressful than an occasional sprint on a car being road driven.

Rebuttal (with all due respect):

991.1 GT3 sounds better and has better handling on the road, and overall seems rawer: yes if you like clunky gurgling transmission sounds and a possible time bomb engine

- 981 GT4 has a more interesting sound track and the engagement of manual: yes but it's not a GT engine just detuned Carrera S engine and gearing is too tall

- 991.2 C4S cab because it’s a cab: ok I like but why 4 vs 2S

​​​​​​- 991.2 TTS is more comfortable, more composed, and way more torque: yes if you want a luxo-GT. Very capable grand tourer and got rid of mine after a while because boring overachiever with vacuum cleaner sounds and fake pops in sport mode.

​​​​​​- 992 TTS handles as well or better on the road (with proper alignment and Cup2 and SPASM), and is way faster. Ok but overpriced and suffers overachiever high limits issues per fun feedback on public roads.

- 997.1 C2S because it’s a 997 and manual: tractor engine sound at idle and meh... ok it's a fun car I miss mine especially with factory sport exhaust

- Cayman R feels smaller and lighter and crisper and it’s manual... yes I'm a big fan of all earlier mid engine variants .. good

Every Porsche sports car has endearing features and quirks that make you like it and miss it when it gone.

None of the above however comes even close to the banshee screaming fun of a 991.2 3RS yes it's a poor daily but it becomes bearable with a DSC controller, add the amazing PDK-S killer looks and suspension on a nice road and it's a forever keeper!

Last edited by catdog2; 06-25-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catdog2
Nice comparisons but nothing sounds like a GT3RS at full song and the pop it gives on up and downshifts with the PDK-S. It's a beast and has the best sounding version of the 4l now that opf/new sound regulations are on.

For street driving I would drop tire pressures down to 28-30 F/R. Makes sense, will try it

For OP, you can get 1/2 price used pccb's from teile.de and I would extend the cpo and enjoy it if it has the right options and color. Mine is also not WP because I hate the look with the dark hood/roof/spoiler.

In general I would avoid heavily tracked cars if there are other options. I mean even Porsche recommends replacing certain parts (hubs I think) after so many track days; it's obviously more stressful than an occasional sprint on a car being road driven. Mine will be tracked a lot and will need the corresponding maintenance, so I don't really mind the car having some history of tracking.

Rebuttal (with all due respect):

991.1 GT3 sounds better and has better handling on the road, and overall seems rawer: yes if you like clunky gurgling transmission sounds and a possible time bomb engine Engine concern is really the only reason I'm trading it in for RS, otherwise I'd just stick with this car

- 981 GT4 has a more interesting sound track and the engagement of manual: yes but it's not a GT engine just detuned Carrera S engine and gearing is too tall Don't really care if it's not a GT engine, it does what an engine needs to do. Agree on gearing, but I don't really mind it.

- 991.2 C4S cab because it’s a cab: ok I like but why 4 vs 2S 4S looks better, and better on wet roads.

​​​​​​- 991.2 TTS is more comfortable, more composed, and way more torque: yes if you want a luxo-GT. Very capable grand tourer and got rid of mine after a while because boring overachiever with vacuum cleaner sounds and fake pops in sport mode. Mine has some sound insulation removed and some mods, and sounds quite good.

​​​​​​- 992 TTS handles as well or better on the road (with proper alignment and Cup2 and SPASM), and is way faster. Ok but overpriced and suffers overachiever high limits issues per fun feedback on public roads. Mine is a CPO and got at a good price. Sometimes it feels too fast for public roads, but sometimes I'm in the mood for 'too fast'

- 997.1 C2S because it’s a 997 and manual: tractor engine sound at idle and meh... ok it's a fun car I miss mine especially with factory sport exhaust Sound is a bit tepid, but that can be improved with exhaust mod

- Cayman R feels smaller and lighter and crisper and it’s manual... yes I'm a big fan of all earlier mid engine variants .. good At the moment, zero of these listed for sale on cars.com. It's turning into a collector's car.

Every Porsche sports car has endearing features and quirks that make you like it and miss it when it gone. This is why I have too many cars - unable to sell!

None of the above however comes even close to the banshee screaming fun of a 991.2 3RS yes it's a poor daily but it becomes bearable with a DSC controller, add the amazing PDK-S killer looks and suspension on a nice road and it's a forever keeper!
Of course it's subjective, so no right or wrong answers. If you like what you like, you like it, and that's all that really matters. We're all different, so our perceptions will differ, and we'll never really be able to put ourselves in the shoes of others and understand why they perceive things differently than us.

Some notes above.
catdog2 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 01:11 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Oh also forgot…. Second the recommendation above… If the RS doesn’t have DSC module, get one.
Larry Cable (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

@Manifold just buy the f******* car already! (or not) seriously - this is worse than a "configurator" thread!
Old 06-25-2023, 10:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
@Manifold just buy the f******* car already! (or not) seriously - this is worse than a "configurator" thread!
Hold up is really on the dealer's side. I told them two weeks ago that I'll take the car, and have been waiting for them to inspect and prep the car. That's still not finished. Their service department seems to be understaffed, and I guess they figure I'm not in a big rush, since they know how many cars I have in the garage.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-25-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Larry Cable (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:45 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Tell the dealer that Larry Cable said to get on with it!
The following 2 users liked this post by CarManDSL:
catdog2 (06-26-2023), Larry Cable (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 AM
Booth9999
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Forgot to mention you can also get PCCBs refurbished by a company in Europe for less than new. Maybe half or so, I forget their current price.
https://www.rebrake.de/en/
Manifold (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Tell the dealer that Larry Cable said to get on with it!
lol, now that I'm lined up to get GT cars at MSRP, I'm willing to be patient to stay in their good graces!
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
CarManDSL (06-26-2023), Larry Cable (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 06:43 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

If there were no concerns about the brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car. In addition to pinning down the rotor measurements, I need to test drive the car again. When I test drove it before, it needed a lot of brake pedal force to slow the car. Now that the pads have been replaced, I need to see if that's still an issue. As far as warranty, it has 1.5 years of CPO remaining, and I can add another year for $2,500. 2.5 years isn't 4 years, but it's a decent warranty.

You say these cars aren't worth more than MSRP, but where are the examples of these things recently selling at MSRP or lower with a nice color like Miami Blue? I've looked and I can't find them. And the 992 3RS is at least $280k in a comparable build with PTS and PCCB, IF you can get it at MSRP, otherwise the market prices are well over $300k.

Do you own a 991.2 3RS? Shopping for one? Sold one?
If you had read and understood my initial reply you would have known that I have an RS. And if you can get a new RS at MSRP I don't know why you'd bother with a used car

Quick Reply: Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'