991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 12:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Here are the Carboteq measurements:

Old 06-23-2023, 12:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

This info indicates that the rotors don't need to come off the car for Carboteq measurement:

https://www.screeningeagle.com/en/products/carboteq

https://media.screeningeagle.com/***...ngual_high.pdf (no mention of removing rotors)

https://media.screeningeagle.com/***...glish_high.pdf (page 4)
Old 06-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

If you found a Miami Blue car with CP0 that meets your specs. You should jump on it. You seem to be fretting alot about the CCB brakes. You will also pay a premium for Miami Blue so get used to it but will also hold value if you go to sell. Most Miami Blue colors are fetching similar PTS values. I have a Weissach one and wouldn’t let it got for a cent less than $250k or $260k and it has 16k miles full Dundon power kit and CPO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dguth:
Larry Cable (06-23-2023), Manifold (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Forgot to mention you can also get PCCBs refurbished by a company in Europe for less than new. Maybe half or so, I forget their current price.
rebrake.de and redisk.si

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-23-2023 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnsopa (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
rebrake.de and redisk.si
Some good info here: https://www.rebrake.de/en/

They indicate that the CCB rotors are done when the surface layer wears down. But my understanding is that Carboteq is measuring the carbon content within the rotor, not specifically the surface layer, and in another thread someone mentioned that the 991.2 3RS rotors don't have the circular visual wear indicators. So how is the remaining life of the rotors really determined? Is it based on surface wear? Oxidation of carbon within the rotor? Both? Confusing!
Old 06-23-2023, 03:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Some good info here: https://www.rebrake.de/en/

They indicate that the CCB rotors are done when the surface layer wears down. But my understanding is that Carboteq is measuring the carbon content within the rotor, not specifically the surface layer, and in another thread someone mentioned that the 991.2 3RS rotors don't have the circular visual wear indicators. So how is the remaining life of the rotors really determined? Is it based on surface wear? Oxidation of carbon within the rotor? Both? Confusing!
bottom line, measurements aside, a PCCB car that is not tracked (regularly) the rotors will last for years! if you were planning to do 20-25+ track days/yr I'd expect that they would wear out (in time) but as you can see for about the price of a set of irons you can recondition them.

I fear that you may be falling afoul of Rennlist FUD regarding PCCB longevity/fragility... Ive had cars with all generations of PCCB, and tracked them, with no issues other than regular pad replacement.

you have nothing to worry about... just buy it
johnsopa (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:37 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

bottom line, measurements aside, a PCCB car that is not tracked (regularly) the rotors will last for years! if you were planning to do 20-25+ track days/yr I'd expect that they would wear out (in time) but as you can see for about the price of a set of irons you can recondition them.

I fear that you may be falling afoul of Rennlist FUD regarding PCCB longevity/fragility... Ive had cars with all generations of PCCB, and tracked them, with no issues other than regular pad replacement.
^ This, 100%.
Larry Cable (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 PM
inspire
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

you have nothing to worry about... just buy it
Yep, even at 50% life left of PCCB rotors will last FOREVER. It will probably take over 7500+ track miles to wear it down to 0% (of course it all depends on the track / and how you drive).

And if you are going to mostly drive it on the street, it will probably last for well over 50k miles, which I'm sure you probably won't have this car anymore 😉. For a $240K Miami Blue car, that's a good price compared to the other Miami Blue cars sold way past that price. Which I'm sure you know if you don't buy it, someone will happily take it.

Last edited by inspire; 06-23-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Larry Cable (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inspire
Yep, even at 50% life left of PCCB rotors will last FOREVER. It will probably take over 7500+ track miles to wear it down to 0% (of course it all depends on the track / and how you drive).

And if you are going to mostly drive it on the street, it will probably last for well over 50k miles, which I'm sure you probably won't have this car anymore 😉. For a $240K Miami Blue car, that's a good price compared to the other Miami Blue cars sold way past that price. Which I'm sure you know if you don't buy it, someone will happily take it.
I know I would if I was in the market - I would not let PCCB wear (unless very very significant, which I dont think this is even close to an example of) get in the way of a purchase!
Old 06-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Haha, must have carbon rotor deterioration report is now the new rennlist obsession similar to DME reports 😂
The following 5 users liked this post by Dguth:
85Gold (06-24-2023), Doug N (06-24-2023), inspire (06-23-2023), Larry Cable (06-23-2023), TheDangerZone (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 05:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...3-991-2-a.html

is probably the only thread on RL in the past 19 yrs with any really useful PCCB info in it... all the rest is simply "my grandfather once had a drink with a guy, who had heard from a guy that a guy he lived next door to who tracked his car over 20+/yr that his PCCB collapsed into a neutron star and/or black hole ... and was never heard from again ..."
The following 4 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
ChrisF (06-24-2023), Manifold (06-23-2023), ParadiseGT3 (06-24-2023), vtgt (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 05:46 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

We've had 13% inflation over the past two years, so that adds about $26k to a $200k car if applied straight to car prices. Unless the economy tanks to the point where we get no inflation or some deflation, I'm not sure we're going back to prices of 2+ years ago on Porsches with low miles and a collectability aspect.
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Then move forward. I just don't see older RS's worth anything beyond MSRP at this point as they are all out of warranty and not numbered cars. 240k is entering into the 992 RS territory
Old 06-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tqevo
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Then move forward. I just don't see older RS's worth anything beyond MSRP at this point as they are all out of warranty and not numbered cars. 240k is entering into the 992 RS territory
If there were no concerns about the brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car. In addition to pinning down the rotor measurements, I need to test drive the car again. When I test drove it before, it needed a lot of brake pedal force to slow the car. Now that the pads have been replaced, I need to see if that's still an issue. As far as warranty, it has 1.5 years of CPO remaining, and I can add another year for $2,500. 2.5 years isn't 4 years, but it's a decent warranty.

You say these cars aren't worth more than MSRP, but where are the examples of these things recently selling at MSRP or lower with a nice color like Miami Blue? I've looked and I can't find them. And the 992 3RS is at least $280k in a comparable build with PTS and PCCB, IF you can get it at MSRP, otherwise the market prices are well over $300k.

Do you own a 991.2 3RS? Shopping for one? Sold one?
Larry Cable (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 10:21 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 521 Posts

If there were no concerns about the brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car. In addition to pinning down the rotor measurements, I need to test drive the car again. When I test drove it before, it needed a lot of brake pedal force to slow the car. Now that the pads have been replaced, I need to see if that's still an issue. As far as warranty, it has 1.5 years of CPO remaining, and I can add another year for $2,500. 2.5 years isn't 4 years, but it's a decent warranty.

You say these cars aren't worth more than MSRP, but where are the examples of these things recently selling at MSRP or lower with a nice color like Miami Blue? I've looked and I can't find them. And the 992 3RS is at least $280k in a comparable build with PTS and PCCB, IF you can get it at MSRP, otherwise the market prices are well over $300k.

Do you own a 991.2 3RS? Shopping for one? Sold one?
Assume they also did a fluid flush to try to sort out the pedal pressure issue? Do they acknowledge the issue?

2 of the Lizards I referenced yesterday sold, now 24 .2 RS on Cars. Referred a prospective buyer to a low mileage Racing Yellow listed in the $265k range (reduced from upper 2's) about 2 wks ago. Not sure if him or not, but sold. As new Racing Yellow w/ Weissach in soflo listed for $349k, good info suggests it went for somewhere btwn $290-300k, didn't take long. Buddy's low spec (Maybe $205-210k msrp) MB .2 RS, around 6k mls, sold within weeks listed in mid 2's. One w/ 35k mls listed in the $20x range recently, Black, sold within weeks.

Sought after .2 RS specs get into reasonable ask range, and they sell. Less desirable specs, high mileage, etc. list & sell for predictably less. Doesn't matter what guys on rennlist think they should hypothetically cost or 2019 msrp. As if it wasn't anticipatable enough, .2 RS looks like kind of a deal all of a sudden.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Assume they also did a fluid flush to try to sort out the pedal pressure issue? Do they acknowledge the issue?

2 of the Lizards I referenced yesterday sold, now 24 .2 RS on Cars. Referred a prospective buyer to a low mileage Racing Yellow listed in the $265k range (reduced from upper 2's) about 2 wks ago. Not sure if him or not, but sold. As new Racing Yellow w/ Weissach in soflo listed for $349k, good info suggests it went for somewhere btwn $290-300k, didn't take long. Buddy's low spec (Maybe $205-210k msrp) MB .2 RS, around 6k mls, sold within weeks listed in mid 2's. One w/ 35k mls listed in the $20x range recently, Black, sold within weeks.

Sought after .2 RS specs get into reasonable ask range, and they sell. Less desirable specs, high mileage, etc. list & sell for predictably less. Doesn't matter what guys on rennlist think they should hypothetically cost or 2019 msrp. As if it wasn't anticipatable enough, .2 RS looks like kind of a deal all of a sudden.
Doubt they did a flush. The only person who drove the car after replacing pads is a technician, and he said the brakes 'work' but a lot of pedal force still needed. I need to judge for myself and hope to test the car today.

I wouldn't say the .2 RS is a deal at these prices, but it's the last and best 991 GT car, and the last RS with a frunk, so I think there's a collectability aspect which will keep prices up. I think a bad recession is pretty much the only thing that will bring prices way down, and I don't rule out such a recession happening.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-24-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying CPO 991.2 3RS with PCCB Rotor 'Wear'