991.2 gt3 icarsoft version?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 03:45 PM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 991.2 gt3 icarsoft version?

All,
what version of icarsoft works for the 991.2 gt3? I want it to be able to read codes.. but also need it to be bi-directional to reset maintenance reminders, etc.

Is v2.0 the one to get?

Also, any version of icarsoft work bi-directionally for the 991.2 gt3 as well as 992's? My friend has a 992, so just wondering if I'd be able to use a single device for both cars.

TIA!
Old 03-10-2023, 03:55 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

I use this one on my .2 GT3
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-10-2023, 04:09 PM
mthomas
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V 3.0
Old 03-10-2023, 04:11 PM
mthomas
Track Day

2.0 doesnt supprt ABS bleed .. 3.0 does
Old 03-10-2023, 04:50 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mthomas
2.0 doesnt supprt ABS bleed .. 3.0 does
I actually bought a 3.0 and couldn’t get the ABS bleed to work.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:56 PM
mthomas
Track Day

interesting..

i've come across multiple posts in multiple threads saying "yes it works" AND "no it doesnt" using v 3.0 for the ABS bleed.. I wonder what is actually happening here to yield such disparate results
Old 03-10-2023, 06:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

interesting..

i've come across multiple posts in multiple threads saying "yes it works" AND "no it doesnt" using v 3.0 for the ABS bleed.. I wonder what is actually happening here to yield such disparate results
Not sure about the electronic functions available, but brake flushing or bleeding is easily done without any electronic tool, as long as you haven’t pumped air into the system (by using a Motive power bleeder that has run out of fluid, for example)…
Old 03-11-2023, 11:25 AM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

interesting..

Fascinating. I had never thought about this function, but it would be nice to have. Here's a thread where someone with a 991.2 T uses a v3.0 unit to do an abs bleed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1262...similar-2.html
Old 03-13-2023, 11:14 AM
mthomas
Track Day

This past Saturday I actually attempted an ABS bleed with the icarsoft V 3.0 and here is what happened to me.. I now understand why people report inconsistent results.

Here is exactly what I did.

1. Car 2018 991.2 GT3 on lift
2. wheels off
3. master cylinder reservoir open and remove yellow strainer with small pliers.. be careful here.. takes a fair amount of force to pull out..use one hand to hold down reservoir while you pull up with your other hand using the pliers.... use scrap towels and lay around area.
4. used a hand pump to pull out as much old fluid as possible... you cant get all because one chamber of the reservoir is blocked off from the top.. I estimate the amount of fluid that you cant reach is approximately 150-250 ml.
5. fill reservoir with new fluid close to the top.
6. screw on your pump.. i filled my pump with 2 L of fluid minus what I used to fill up the master cylinder reservoir.
7. pressurize pump to approx 15 psi
8. went to rear right caliper and opened inside bleed valve.. pulled (pushed) out about 250 ml... i have a catch vessel that has ml gradient markings (very helpful) my thinking is here that i want to get all the old fluid out of the system before I begin the ABS bleed.
9. closed rear right caliper.
10. attach icarsoft v 3.0
11. key on
12. select 991
13. select ABS bleed
14. computer instructed me to pressurize pump to 2 bar (which is 28 psi IMO way too high..i was uncomfortable going that high ..the resistance in the pump handle was getting too much at around 20...15-20 is plenty)
15. computer also instructed me to pump brake pedal throughout this whole procedure..(so that is where dutiful wives or girlfriends come in)... so dutiful wife sat in drivers seat with computer and ready to pump brake (gently i told her) while i opened each bleed valve and monitored the pump and pumping it up from time to time to keep around 15...
16 computer begins at rear left caliper...everything is going fine at this point.. no noise is heard from ABS valves but the fluid is moving properly. computer says close rear left.. about 150-200 ml came out.
17. computer then says front left. same.. no noise is heard from ABS but fluid is moving properly about 150-200 ml come out.
18. then computer says front right.. boom.. ABS valves starts actuating nicely... nice correct sounding noise... about 400-500 ml come out before computer says close front right.
19. computer then says rear right. again ABS valve noise.. fluid moving nicely.. just about when i was expecting the noise to stop my wife says "it says communication lost" hmmmmmmm
20. i don't do anything immediately but a few seconds later the ABS valve noise stops and I close the caliper...
21. kind of a bummer that an error happened right at the end.. i very much wanted to report a proper execution of this job here...
22. i debated whether i should call it good or attempt it again just to remove any doubt and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
23. so we decide to do it again,, there is enough fluid in the pressure pump so we say lets try it again!
24. this time the error message comes up right away before we can even open the bleed valve on the first caliper.. .. communication lost...ugh
25. try again after turning key off/on... no dice same error...
26. try with the v 2.0 that I also own... nope same error
27. try again with v 3.0 nope same error...

28. complete standard flush doing all 4 corners RR RL FR FL and this time both bleed valves.
29.. so its a frustrating result.. it worked for 95% of the job the first time through.. and then wouldn't work at all.... i wish i could relay something better than this.

as a follow up ... I took the car out for a test drive the following day and the pedal is super firm and the ABS is functioning properly as I did some high speed braking tests...

will it work again if attempt this job say next week, or in 6 months, or in 12 months... the answer is unfortunately "maybe I don't know"
Old 03-13-2023, 10:48 PM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

@mthomas fascinating. I guess the moral of the story for me is that I'll just try and avoid ever doing an ABS bleed.

Here's a thread where they talk about this same issue.. and someone ( @KNSBrakes ) talks about an alternative to the digital ABS bleed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1316...d-the-abs.html

"My new procedure for bleeding ABS is to bleed the brakes, then go on a loose surface road and activate ABS, then bleed again. This is my preferred method."

Quick Reply: 991.2 gt3 icarsoft version?