Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Brake Bleed - Do you need to bleed the ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Jet.Fuel.Only
Advanced

Received 153 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Full Brake Bleed - Do you need to bleed the ABS?

People always want to comment that bleeding the brakes isn't enough, you need to bleed the ABS module too! Is that the case? In this video I have a full fluid exchange procedure on my Porsche using the Motive Power Brake Bleeder, in addition I discuss when you actually need to bleed the ABS and how you can do it.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (06-29-2024)
Old 09-06-2022, 02:05 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Interesting- I have the isoft 2.0 and will be bleeding the brakes on my 981 spyder in the next week or so, so I guess I'll find out if it will in fact work on my car to bleed the ABS module. Will report back when I'm done. I've bled the brakes on several cars using my Motive system and always done it "dry." I'll try the "wet" way this time so I don't have to keep topping up the reservoir. And I'll see if I can bleed the ABS... never have to worry about that on my 914's

(but I guess it won't work on my T as it is a dot 2)
Old 09-06-2022, 02:13 AM
Jet.Fuel.Only
Advanced

Received 153 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Interesting- I have the isoft 2.0 and will be bleeding the brakes on my 981 spyder in the next week or so, so I guess I'll find out if it will in fact work on my car to bleed the ABS module. Will report back when I'm done. I've bled the brakes on several cars using my Motive system and always done it "dry." I'll try the "wet" way this time so I don't have to keep topping up the reservoir. And I'll see if I can bleed the ABS... never have to worry about that on my 914's

(but I guess it won't work on my T as it is a dot 2)
Yeah report back! The sketchy thing is the iCarsoft calls for 29psi in the Motive bleeder. That’s max on the gauge. Someone else reported getting it done at 20 psi or so and I tried 24 so maybe that was the issue.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:22 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

29psi??? Man, at that pressure I'll have the whole damned car covered in towels in case of a leak somewhere!!!!!! I've always done it before at 15 and even that makes me nervous!
Old 09-06-2022, 11:59 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

I tracked my 981 Cayman and never bled the ABS. Always used the wet method and had no issues.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet.Fuel.Only
The sketchy thing is the iCarsoft calls for 29psi in the Motive bleeder.
That is what the Porsche Service Manual calls for. I have never even used 20 psi.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:40 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a PIWIS 2 that I have attempted to bleed brakes with. It works sometimes. I found this out when going into the braking zone at VIR and locked up a front right wheel.

My new procedure for bleeding ABS is to bleed the brakes, then go on a loose surface road and activate ABS, then bleed again. This is my preferred method.

--Aaron

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
The following users liked this post:
DR911s (03-30-2023)
Old 09-07-2022, 01:51 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Interesting suggestion- but do you "circulate" brake fluid throughout the system when the ABS is activated or does it just increase the hydraulic pressure in the appropriate lines? If the later, you wouldn't get "new" brake fluid throughout the system. Are we all just guessing???
Old 09-07-2022, 02:17 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Interesting suggestion- but do you "circulate" brake fluid throughout the system when the ABS is activated or does it just increase the hydraulic pressure in the appropriate lines? If the later, you wouldn't get "new" brake fluid throughout the system. Are we all just guessing???
It worked for us for multiple endurance races, including having the ABS module off and apart before this years 24 hours of VIR.

--Aaron
Old 09-07-2022, 03:53 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Now I need to figure out how to activate the system as I don't drive on gravel roads that often, like never, unless I'm in my Bronco!

Old 06-29-2024, 09:27 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 476 Posts

Great video on flushing the brake fluid but I’m afraid I’m still not 100% clear on when to flush/bleed the ABS module and if it’s even necessary. I get that if the the ABS module is connected to the main brake system but how and when can air be introduced into the module? Seems like this is a very ambiguous task and there does not seem to be a consistent explanation anywhere that I have see so far.
Old 06-29-2024, 11:34 AM
Autobahnschreck
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
A look into the factory service manual reveals: ( this applies only for changing the brake fluid )
Yes, they recommend 29 psi ( 2,0 bar) pressure for bleeding. This reads quite high, and I even heard of exploded brake fluid reservoirs when doing this on older cars. What a mess this must be.
I have been successful with around 20 psi (1,5 bar) on the brakes, but I have PDK. The rationale may be, if you bleed the clutch circuit, you may need a higher pressure to open the check valve to achieve flow.
In the video it is emphasized to bleed the inner valves of any caliper first. Porsche says, choose the sequence of calipers and their valves to be bled as you like.
Do you need to bleed the ABS unit ? Porsche requires it only after replacing the ABS unit.
And finally, my opinion about circulation of fluid through the ABS unit: either releasing brakes by ABS, PSM, or by PTV (torque vectoring) action requires a certain re-flow of fluid to- and through the ABS unit. There will be an exchange of fluid between the ABS and the "conventional" parts of the hydraulic system, how much, remains to guessing. Use your PTV, PSM and ABS.

Out of curiosity, some time ago after changing the brake fluid I determined the water contamination of the fluid sucked out of the reservoir and the fluid drained from the calipers (by measuring its electrical conductivity).
I expected no big difference, if any, the water content in the reservoir to be higher because of the air venting needed for the reservoir . To my surprise, the water contamination in the calipers was much higher. I believe this is caused by the permeability for humidity of both brake hoses and dust boots. I thus do not care too much about sucking out fluid from the reservoir before starting the bleeding at the calipers.
The following 5 users liked this post by Autobahnschreck:
Briels (06-29-2024), Chuck245 (06-30-2024), DR911s (06-30-2024), MingusDew (06-29-2024), Tier1Terrier (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Full Brake Bleed - Do you need to bleed the ABS?