Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brake bleed/flush with PIWIS, iCarsoft or similar

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 195 Posts

I might be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a Mac-compatible scanner. If you're using an Intel-based Mac you could always use Boot Camp. I would highly recommend NOT using Parallels or Fusion to update the firmware.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM
Archippus
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Headgasket. I'm surprised at the lack of support for Macs but I do use an Intel based laptop so may have to try Boot Camp (which I've never used).
Old 10-27-2021, 06:24 PM
mx-5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Archippus
Thank you Headgasket. I'm surprised at the lack of support for Macs but I do use an Intel based laptop so may have to try Boot Camp (which I've never used).
I successfully upgraded my icarsoft in a virtualbox vm off my Mac, but do so at your own risk.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:34 PM
Archippus
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mx, thanks for sharing, altho you make it sound ominous. Is there a risk in doing this?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,299 Posts

If you know what you're doing, there's virtually zero risk.

If you're in over your head at the very thought of plugging that thing into a computer... honestly, there's still very little risk unless you have an unstoppable urge to suddenly and randomly unplug things within reach.

I suspect getting Windows running on bootcamp or some other VM engine might be your biggest hurdle. All smooth sailing from there.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:12 PM
mx-5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Zylinderkopfdichtung suggested not to do so in Parallels, so I felt I should also put disclaimer to what I did. I did mine a few months ago and I didn't hesitate or think there'd be any risk. Yes, you're passing through the device from laptop to vm, but if it's detected, it's available to the vm.
If the device can't be found in the VM or you are cautious, Bootcamp on Mac would be more native, just like using a Windows PC.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Can the POR 2.0 do ABS cycle?
Old 02-05-2022, 11:53 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
I just finished the iCarsoft ABS bleed.
Amazingly something as affordable as the Porsche iCarsoft can do an ABS bleed. My Durametric for the 991 can't as stated in an email to me from Durametric a week ago. Sometime in the future they say...for a model that has been out over 10 years.

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
The ABS activates as you pump the pedal, which I did about 6-8 times per wheel.
I just did an ABS bleed on my BMW motorcycle last summer. Same thing, while the ABS is activated, you squeeze the lever and pedal several times. Incredible that I could get a diagnostic app for my Android Phone and Tablet for €50 (about $58) that does things the ultra-expensive GS911 does not do.
The following users liked this post:
Zylinderkopfdichtung (02-05-2022)
Old 02-12-2023, 05:35 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Adding to this thread so that it can helpful future diy’ers.

I installed new calipers (S calipers) on my 991.1. During installation the fluid in MC fell below min and introduced air in ABS. To flush I tried iCarsoft v2 and P700 v2. Although they both advertise ABS bleed neither worked. I then purchased V3 and it worked as advertised. I wasted 3-4 liters of brake fluid with the previous versions so if you are planning to purchase iCarsoft for ABS bleed don’t waste time on versions other than 3.
After ABS bleed I still had air in the lines in 2 calipers. I was only able to find that out when I did a bleed post ABS bleed and bled from the inner nozzle. Note that for ABS bleed I only used the outer nozzle. I also tapped the caliper with a rubber mallet which seemed to dislodge some air as well.

So long story short- use iCarsoft POR v3 , bleed after ABS flush (both nozzle) and tap calipers gently.

Hope this helps someone as it would have def helped me.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ark20:
0405277343C$R (07-16-2024), 911BOSS (02-12-2023), d-- (03-21-2024), mthomas (03-07-2023), worf928 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 05:24 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Can you guys elaborate on what exactly this does? I have the same iCarSoft unit mentioned above (and a 981, but should work the same). You enable the feature and it prompts you along? You press down the brake pedal in order to make it do its thing? When it's 'tengaging ABS, is it pumping fluid out or is it just wiggling valves around to get air out?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2023, 08:00 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Can you guys elaborate on what exactly this does? I have the same iCarSoft unit mentioned above (and a 981, but should work the same). You enable the feature and it prompts you along? You press down the brake pedal in order to make it do its thing? When it's 'tengaging ABS, is it pumping fluid out or is it just wiggling valves around to get air out?

Thanks!
I had to do it since I introduced air in the ABS system by letting the fluid level go down in the master cylinder while replacing calipers.
The tool prompts the user at each step so it is pretty straight forward. For each step it will ask the user to press OK (F2) so you have enough time to take the applicable action. It won’t go to next step till you press OK. During bleed for each corner it says to press/ release brake pedal. Make sure you don’t push the pedal all the way down. Just enough and do it in a controlled manner. I would recommend count 1-2 seconds down, hold for a second and then release slowly on 1-2 second count and keep repeating till tool states that the flush is complete for that caliper. During the right side caliper bleed the pedal would pulsate, harden, loosen etc accompanied by loud noises. It didn’t do that on the left side. For me the LR and LF only bled about 200 ml each. RR was 500 ML if not more and RF was 250 ml.
The combination of pressing/ releasing pedal, motive bleeder and AbS the fluid is def getting pushed. Went thought a full liter of fluid during the flush.
Don’t be intimidated. Just make sure to have extra new brake fluid on hand and do a flush afterwards. If I had to do it again I would bleed the inner nozzle for each corner after abs bleed while tapping the caliper.

Last edited by Ark20; 02-13-2023 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (01-06-2024)

Quick Reply: ABS brake bleed/flush with PIWIS, iCarsoft or similar