Sponsored by:

Crack pipe rattles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 11:20 PM
arowden86
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Crack pipe rattles...

I currently have soul race headers and the dundon crack pipe installed. Unforutnelty, it rattles at idle, and basically the entire time it's below 4k rpm and just sounds like garbage. As soon as it hits 4-5k, the tone changes and it's amazing! I tried their fix here. But didn't have any luck with it. Has anyone else had issues with this or found solutions? I'm considering changing to another system because of it, but I hate to because it sounds so good when it's over 5k. Puts a grin on my face every time.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:18 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Combining two exhaust parts from two different manufacturers was a bad idea, and they were never tested nor engineered together. Your best bet would be to change the header to something made from Dundon or change the rear bypass to Soul products.

I had the Dundon street header + crack pipe on my .2 GT3RS before, it droned at 3000-4000, but it was tolerable.
The following 2 users liked this post by CX_GT3:
AnthonyGan (03-08-2023), rk-d (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CX_GT3
Combining two exhaust parts from two different manufacturers was a bad idea, and they were never tested nor engineered together. Your best bet would be to change the header to something made from Dundon or change the rear bypass to Soul products.

I had the Dundon street header + crack pipe on my .2 GT3RS before, it droned at 3000-4000, but it was tolerable.
Agree with this, I have a Crack Pipe with OEM headers and no issues with rattles.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:25 PM
arowden86
Rennlist Member

I had it set up with factory headers, and it rattled the same then.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:41 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you know the exact location of the rattle?
Old 03-08-2023, 08:49 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree that mixing and matching isn't ideal but I would also make sure you connect with Jamie / Charles if they have any tips / thoughts. Anytime I have had an issue they have been able to solve it with me.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:17 PM
arowden86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
Do you know the exact location of the rattle?
The rear, near the exhaust. It sounds like metal on metal. I contacted Dundon and they said it's hard to say without seeing the instal. They've seen some installed totally wrong. I had it installed by a preferred installer though, I know it's right. But it's still hard for them to say.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:21 AM
Dumpspec
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 57 Posts

i would check all the clamps and Vband clamps to make sure they are properly secured. Not sure if you seen this but dundon posted a DIY on how to fix exhaust rattle.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/bl...tling-solution
Old 03-16-2023, 11:07 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by CX_GT3

Oh come on now, been modding cars for 20 years, that should definitely not be an issue as long as both parts were meant to work with OE stuff.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:35 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 69 Posts

It shouldn't matter what it's paired with, but the crack pipe will certainly expose any loose fasteners or potential rattles. It was designed to be light, loud and make power for Cup cars, so when you put it on a street car there are definitely drawbacks.

That said, you should be able to dig in and find the source of the rattle. Best bet is to get the rear of the car (or the whole thing on a lift) up in the air and start hunting around with the car running. Others here have shared the two most common causes of the rattle (the upper tabs on the muffler bracket and loose or broken clamps). If you have a "custom" rattle, you'll just need to do some sleuthing and find out what's causing it.

Best of luck, and if I can help, let me know!
Ted@dundonmotorsports.com
Dundon Motorsports
+1.253.200.4454

www.dundonmotorsports.com

Old 06-16-2023, 11:39 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by arowden86
The rear, near the exhaust. It sounds like metal on metal. I contacted Dundon and they said it's hard to say without seeing the instal. They've seen some installed totally wrong. I had it installed by a preferred installer though, I know it's right. But it's still hard for them to say.
Did you ever get this resolved?

Mine actually developed this jarring, metallic rattle that I suspect you must've encountered, which progressively worsened over time. Sometimes you could hear it at idle and was quite loud between 2-3K RPM. Sometimes I'd hear a resonance at 4K RPM also. I noticed one of my v-bands had rotated 180 degrees so had it replaced. Upon the replacement, tech found a cracked bracket and replaced that also.

The rattle and resonance at 2-3K RPM and idle is gone. However, the resonance at 4K RPM remains. I'm guessing it might be something to do with the center tabs that Dundon covered in their video. I've shelled out $1K already chasing this so I'm going to try to live with it...

Quick Reply: Crack pipe rattles...