Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 992 GT3RS surprises

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022 | 12:22 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Default The 992 GT3RS surprises

Kudos to Porsche for a no-BS factual launch event with a lot of data presented in just a few minutes. For me, the surprises were the steering-wheel suspension controls with endless tweaking opportunities. The hood inlets still look weird from some angles to me: they present an optical illusion that the inlets are above the hood, not inset. A dark-colored or visible carbon hood will probably look better. They didn't show or talk about the rear wing active aero, or maybe I just missed it?
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 12:44 PM
cwazy1
Advanced

Rear wing active aero is a DRS function similar to F1. Unsure if it constantly moves when you don't push the button?

Last edited by cwazy1; 08-17-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:16 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

It's amazing, what an RS... adjustable everything and looks amazing
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:17 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Really is amazing, luv the track mode and ability to adjust suspension at each corner and also reduce the amount of ESC & TC...
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:21 PM
Azzurri GT3
Instructor

Pretty awesome stuff, but man those ADMs are going to be WILD.
The following 2 users liked this post by Azzurri GT3:
991C2S88 (08-17-2022), Larry Cable (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:25 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Azzurri GT3
Pretty awesome stuff, but man those ADMs are going to be WILD.
Thats the sad point... im going to wait on the sidelines like i always do. I will have to settle with the gt2rs for now,
The following 2 users liked this post by M3the01:
Larry Cable (08-18-2022), Thrownaway (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:36 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Settle with GT2RS??? Had to laugh at that statement.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dguth:
carcommander (08-18-2022), mf3st (08-18-2022), NCPM (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 02:53 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Rebound adjustment as well as PTV adjustments have been in many cars in some shape of form. Perhaps you are stuck with factory presets but corvette’s PTM has had over 10 suspension modes as well as the ability to control e-diff slip. Similar to dual wishbone, when Porsche releases something its a big deal (and they charge an arm and a leg) but when others have it or have had it, its old news Double wishbone has been in corvettes since 2004 lol.
Old 08-17-2022 | 03:12 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexOz
Kudos to Porsche for a no-BS factual launch event with a lot of data presented in just a few minutes. For me, the surprises were the steering-wheel suspension controls with endless tweaking opportunities. The hood inlets still look weird from some angles to me: they present an optical illusion that the inlets are above the hood, not inset. A dark-colored or visible carbon hood will probably look better. They didn't show or talk about the rear wing active aero, or maybe I just missed it?

Watch the "Carfection" vid, with Catchpole...they cover the active aero. Of note, as rear wing moves, front does as well, to maintain consistent aero balance. AP also commented that this iteration has "higher" cornering speeds than a "GT3 Cup car-on slicks".
The following 3 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
bogey1 (08-22-2022), Larry Cable (08-18-2022), XLR82XS (08-22-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 11:28 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Rebound adjustment as well as PTV adjustments have been in many cars in some shape of form. Perhaps you are stuck with factory presets but corvette’s PTM has had over 10 suspension modes as well as the ability to control e-diff slip. Similar to dual wishbone, when Porsche releases something its a big deal (and they charge an arm and a leg) but when others have it or have had it, its old news Double wishbone has been in corvettes since 2004 lol.
The reason double wishbone took so long to implement is because Porsche had to reduce the size of the frunk to fit. And on a street car, that was a big deal. The RS completely removing the frunk is a huge thing and people are already complaining about it...
The following 3 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
Larry Cable (08-18-2022), Palting (08-17-2022), RolandT (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022 | 09:16 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

The on the fly adjustability of compression, rebound, diff, tc is the highlight.

As compared to traditionally adjusting 2 and 3 way dampers in particular, just an incredible development. Lap to lap, even corner by corner adjustments, vs. into the pits, car up, back out, back in… Progress that used to take hours or days will take minutes. Once familiar, dials could even be utilized to maximize performance over a single lap according to track characteristics, e.g., damper adjustments for bumpy sectors, diff adjustment for low speed corner exits. Thinking specifically of Sebring where you could probably use like ½ dozen setups throughout the lap. Between the adjustability and aero this thing will annihilate, can't wait to see it.

But that is about the only facet of this new RS that I do love.

Don't care for the Pikes Peak Unlimited by Mansory approach to design and aero. Where does that end? Continued slicing away of the 911 silhouette, more and more stuff tacked on?

Same on the active aero. Crosses an admittedly subjective line for me. Not on the Cup, or permissible in any GT3 or GT4 spec racing. While the function is undoubtable, just seems like they're reaching for objective progress at any expense.

And while it's Porsche, so should be fine over the long-term, I would be concerned about any damage or impaired functionality. If you listen to the carfection walk through, the car sounds very dependent upon the "infinitely variable" active aero.

Lack of frunk would genuinely be a problem my track days, taking a buddy impossible. Roof rack, I guess, but who wants to operate one of those on this car

Strikes me as a bit of a fill in model. Like they're prepping with the big aero for more power to come (hybrid).

Look forward to seeing it in action, I'm sure performance will be off the charts, but far from my favorite GT product in concept.

Lastly, hope Michelin tire tech has advanced accordingly. If not, bet this thing could punish Cup 2's into submission within one track day/4-5 heat cycles at advanced pace.
The following 4 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
Apex Ace (08-21-2022), Larry Cable (08-18-2022), mattyf (08-18-2022), mipcar (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022 | 12:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
T
Lack of frunk would genuinely be a problem my track days, taking a buddy impossible. Roof rack, I guess, but who wants to operate one of those on this car
If you want to bring a buddy to the track or can't fit all your stuff in the car, just have your buddy drive a normal car there and put everything in that. People complaining that they'll need to trailer the car. Makes no sense. Don't need a trailer, just another car. But ultimately, I don't see why people need so much stuff for a track day in the first place. Everything I bring to the track can fit behind the cage easy. And most people I see at track days can do the same. The ones who bring extra tires/wheels, tools, tables, tents, chairs, food, TV screens, hot tubs, fire pits, personal chefs, and couches... well they're on another level and have giant RV/tour buses anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
M&Abanker4life (08-18-2022), superfast02911 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-18-2022 | 12:52 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
If you want to bring a buddy to the track or can't fit all your stuff in the car, just have your buddy drive a normal car there and put everything in that. People complaining that they'll need to trailer the car. Makes no sense. Don't need a trailer, just another car.
Hey, come do a track day with me. throw all of my crap in your hooptie, leave at 4:30 a.m., see you there!

Hypothetical in my case since point by will probably be as close as I get to the RS. But even for guys with a reasonable track supplies packing list and an occasional buddy, wife, son who joins, the concern makes sense. Support vehicle isn't always available.
Old 08-18-2022 | 12:58 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Hey, come do a track day with me. throw all of my crap in your hooptie, leave at 4:30 a.m., see you there!
I'm saying if you are bringing another person... Just have them drive their own car. If they are coming with you anyway, why would they complain about having to get up early? They're already going...

If nobody else is going with you, then you can fit everything you need in the passenger seat.

It's a non-issue.

Hypothetical in my case since point by will probably be as close as I get to the RS. But even for guys with a reasonable track supplies packing list and an occasional buddy, wife, son who joins, the concern makes sense. Support vehicle isn't always available.
Support vehicle is available if you are bringing another tax-paying adult. If you're bringing a kid or someone who can't/doesn't want to drive another car, then you're gonna have to pack light I guess. I've gone on weekend trips in my GT3RS with GF before and everything can fit behind the cage without issue, leaving frunk empty.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 08-18-2022 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022 | 01:27 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm saying if you are bringing another person... Just have them drive their own car. If they are coming with you anyway, why would they complain about having to get up early? They're already going...

If nobody else is going with you, then you can fit everything you need in the passenger seat.

It's a non-issue.

Support vehicle is available if you are bringing another tax-paying adult. If you're bringing a kid or someone who can't/doesn't want to drive another car, then you're gonna have to pack light I guess. I've gone on weekend trips in my GT3RS with GF before and everything can fit behind the cage without issue, leaving frunk empty.
So, it's a non-issue for you, your use contexts. Okay, but there are countless alternative scenarios where the lack of frunk will be an unwanted difficulty. On any given PCA weekend, dozens of caymans, 911s arrive with two people and packed storage. I doubt all of them will be able to, or be inclined to drive separately. In my hypothetical case, track buddy would have to rent a car since they're visiting.

There's been a frunk on every production 911 in history for a reason, right

Quick Reply: The 992 GT3RS surprises