991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploring GT3 Exhaust Options in DFW, TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022 | 10:17 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

I'm shopping now but know i should wait until we meet.

Originally was going to get the JCR valved bypass and new tips. I'm now thinking i should splurge and get the Dundon street headers and keep my RS center muffler. I like a high pitched wail but want to stay quiet'ish when i need to so keeping the valves is a must.
I'm looking forward to meeting and hearing....
Old 10-17-2022 | 02:30 PM
Xec
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonder
Overall volume is down compared to what you heard, but the tone and pitch are improved dramatically. Without mufflers at all and OEM headers, the car sounds unrefined at idle. It all just sort of falls out of the tail pipes in a bad way. Replacing the Sharkwerks center delete with the Dundon loud muffler caused the car to get dramatically quieter when idling and cruising and it caused the sound quality to go way up. It's hard to describe because it's a change in tone you have to hear in person but all the nasty sounds at idle sort of go away and you're left with this continuous, purposeful tone. With the headers, I think the volume will go up enough for my liking. I also think the headers are going to further refine the tone and pitch. They're the most expensive part of the upgrade but I suspect that's for good reason. The longer headers with less bends means the exhaust gas velocity and back pressure go up and down respectively. Naturally that's better for the engine but it's also better for sound quality.
Thanks for the write up. I've been running mine (no mufflers and OEM headers) and using in-ear plugs lately and have noticed worsening ear ringing despite wearing hearing protection. Finally resorted to doubling up the ear pro: in-ears + over-ears. The car is finally drivable again! I guess the fact that I set off car alarms on cold start should've been an indicator it's much too loud.

Wish I could attend this Saturday but I'm out of town for a wedding.
Old 10-18-2022 | 01:05 AM
Sonder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s_earl1
I'll stop in if I'm free that weekend.

Didn't see it mentioned above but I've got the original JCR non-silenced race pipe on my 991.2 and absolutely love that thing. Previously had just the GMG center but it was too bassy for me. Drowned out all the engine/intake noise inside the cabin.
That'll be an interesting one to hear if you're able to make it.

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
I'm shopping now but know i should wait until we meet.

Originally was going to get the JCR valved bypass and new tips. I'm now thinking i should splurge and get the Dundon street headers and keep my RS center muffler. I like a high pitched wail but want to stay quiet'ish when i need to so keeping the valves is a must.
I'm looking forward to meeting and hearing....
The full system is worth it. I took it to Eagles Canyon Raceway (second time on the track, best lap: 2:03.99) on Oct. 1, the day after they were installed. The power gains are obvious above 6k RPM (nice for the track) and even below 5k (nice for the street). The one immediate downside I noticed for street driving is the torque dip between 5k and 6k RPM. The product page for the headers has a dyno graph in one of the images and that pictured dyno feels in line with my butt dyno. Power goes flat while the engine continues winding out, which produces a decelerating feeling as the RPM increases. The good news is that it doesn't really affect you during track driving. I.e., even when shifting at 9k from 1st to 2nd, the RPM doesn't dip below 6k RPM, which is the crossover point and where the engine makes more power. You just have to be careful to not let revs drop too much through corners or to grab a lower gear and work to keep it in the upper part of the RPM range.

I took it a week later to Circuit of the Americas (been there a handful of times, 2:23.97 with another few tenths on the table if I get the braking right) to see if I could get anything to come up, as a sort of break-in test. I wanted to make sure the install was solid, the pipes and welds were good, that there wasn't a check engine light, and that I could tolerate driving at my speeds in the car for a few hours without ear plugs. It all checked out. I'd do it again, but I'd like to fix the torque dip so that I can stop thinking about it. On the street, having that torque dip fixed would let me wind out 3rd from 4k RPM again, just to hear the whole range altogether.

Originally Posted by Xec
Thanks for the write up. I've been running mine (no mufflers and OEM headers) and using in-ear plugs lately and have noticed worsening ear ringing despite wearing hearing protection. Finally resorted to doubling up the ear pro: in-ears + over-ears. The car is finally drivable again! I guess the fact that I set off car alarms on cold start should've been an indicator it's much too loud.

Wish I could attend this Saturday but I'm out of town for a wedding.
Unreal. It sounds amazing when you're revving it out, but the hearing loss probably isn't worth it in the long run. We'll meet up some time you're available and I'll share this config.

Last edited by Sonder; 10-18-2022 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2022 | 03:15 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sonder, looking forward to meeting SAturday. I was at ECR last week and heading to COTA for the WRL race in December and will get the RS on track there for a practice day. Hopefully will have exhaust figured out by then.
Old 10-19-2022 | 11:20 AM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

See you guys there on Saturday! Looks like we'll have around 4-5 people.
Mine will be the GT Silver .2
The following users liked this post:
Sonder (10-20-2022)
Old 10-19-2022 | 11:27 AM
thenacnud
4th Gear

I will be there, and I also have GT Silver 991.2 GT3. I have Dundon long tube street headers and Dundon quiet center muffler.

Too much daily driving has also glazed over the pads and I hope to see if my break squeal exceeds my Dundon exhaust db levels. Ha.
Limey Hooligan (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022 | 05:55 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

And mine is a silver .1 RS, lots of silver cars, sweet. I'm almost fully stock, just pulled the vacuum hoses on the valves and added some tips. Waiting to hear some cars before i decide what to buy.
Old 10-22-2022 | 06:25 PM
Xec
Instructor

How was the meetup guys? Sorry I couldn’t make it. Any takeaways from everybody’s different exhaust systems?
Old 10-22-2022 | 10:05 PM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

Enjoyed the get-together guys, nice to meet everyone in person and see the cars. I guess we didn’t get to hearing exhausts very much, more general chat on the cars and racing in general, but it was a great way to start the day along with some coffee.

Perhaps we can do it again sometime, if someone wants to propose a date and new location.

See some of you at RAC next Saturday…
Brainofjjj (10-24-2022)
Old 10-22-2022 | 10:40 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll throw out our option that has not been mentioned thus far and addresses many of the topics raised in this thread.

Any side muffler delete w/center muffler delete is going to be loud, however, there are very different versions of that loud and boominess depending on the center muffler design. Our GT3 X-Pipe and its integral tip is specifically designed to reduce boominess and drone and to create a higher pitched tone, which is much more pleasant to the ears. We use either 2.5" or 2.75" primary tubing depending on the sound level desired, as well as, optional in-line resonators on the smaller upper pipe, as an option, if desired. Many of the current designs on the market cone or flare upward to a much larger diameter after the initial connection on the primary leg. Although it looks kind of cool, our testing has revealed that it creates a deeper and boomier tonal character, a characteristic that that we try to avoid in all of our 911 exhaust platforms. After initial testing, we steered away from this flared cone design on our 991 GT3 X-Pipe specifically to create a more user friendly product with smooth laminar flow. Additionally, our team has learned over many years of 911 X-Pipe testing and design, how to dial in and tweak the final tone and sound characteristics with tip design and we have utilized this knowledge on our 991 GT3 X-Pipe tips, as well. We are confident that we have achieved astonishing and highly desirable sound characteristics. I drove our 991 GT3 (with SpeedTech valved side muffler deletes and 2.75" X-Pipe w/ resonators) for 8 hours through the mountains of northern NH this week and found it to be loud, yes, but comfortable and enjoyable in the cabin, certainly no need for ear plugs, etc., at least for me and I am sensitive to drone. I feel that anyone looking for a loud, but comfortable in the cabin system would find our smaller 2.5" quiet 991 GT3 X-Pipe with the optional upper resonators and valved side muffler deletes a very satisfying application. For those that want the full sound track, the 2.75" XP does the trick.

Here is a recent video of the 2.75 XP w/ resonators and valved side muffler deletes in action.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Brainofjjj (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 04:15 AM
Andi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Limey Hooligan
OK sounds good, let's meet up for coffee on Saturday, Oct 22nd @ 8:30am.
I'm thinking the Starbucks at Preston and Spring Creek Parkway in Plano, unless someone has a better location. There's usually plenty of parking there.
Lakeside Market, 4025 Preston Rd, Plano, TX 75093

(coffee cups)
Sorry I missed it. Let’s do this again in early-mid November and I’ll be love to join.

Btw; this is soul side deletes and jcr valved ti center.

cheers,
Andi
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (19.60 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by Andi; 10-23-2022 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2022 | 06:29 PM
s1mplee
AutoX

I have a FI cat back that I only used for about 5-6 months maybe 2k miles max if you are interested. PM me. Located in dfw
Old 10-23-2022 | 06:32 PM
s1mplee
AutoX

Oh I sold the car and pulled the exhaust. It was installed and removed by the same local shop that sold me the exhaust.
Old 10-24-2022 | 03:09 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Nice meeting everyone this weekend and thanks to Sonder for letting hear his beast, even with the 2 PoPo suvs watching. We could hear you at 1/2 mile away.
Old 10-24-2022 | 03:24 PM
kalsonc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andi
Sorry I missed it. Let’s do this again in early-mid November and I’ll be love to join.

Btw; this is soul side deletes and jcr valved ti center.

cheers,
Andi
does this setup get boomy / drone in the lower-rpm?

Quick Reply: Exploring GT3 Exhaust Options in DFW, TX