991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploring GT3 Exhaust Options in DFW, TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023 | 02:12 PM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

Looks like the weather is going to hold... we're still on for Saturday.

Added Bonus: a PCA meet has now popped up for Saturday as well, at Black Rifle Coffee in North Richland Hills: 5121 Rufe Snow Drive, Suite 100, N. Richland Hills 76180.
Perhaps we meet at Starbucks as planned for coffee, and then we convoy over to Richland Hills?
Anyone up for that?
Old 01-25-2023 | 02:20 PM
awu
Intermediate

I'll be there for Starbucks on Saturday morning to hang with you guys but won't make the PCA meet.
Old 01-25-2023 | 02:30 PM
Andi
Rennlist Member

Dang, just realized this is on the same date a my ECR day instructing with Apex. If y'all are bored Saturday after this meetup, come on out to ECR and hang out!
Old 01-25-2023 | 04:46 PM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

Well darn Andi.... well catch you at the next Cars and Catina then, or Garages of Texas.
Still thinking about the Black Rifle Coffee get-together, I may not be able to make it across town in the morning.

Last edited by Limey Hooligan; 01-25-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2023 | 01:09 PM
Xec
Instructor

I'm still on for Saturday but Black Rifle is a bit far out from Frisco.

Looks like it's only us 3. Would it make more sense to meet up at a car meet instead? There's Rides & Coffee at Detail Garage Prosper (Saturday at 10AM) or Caffeine & Cars at Dunn Bros Plano (Sunday at 9AM).
Old 01-26-2023 | 01:43 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

I'm in for original meetup or perhaps the PCA one but Prosper is a hike. Perhaps the Sunday meet so long as it's low key, not a fan of the meets with kids streaming the comings and goings.
Old 01-26-2023 | 02:00 PM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

I'll still be there, with a neighbor who has a 997.1 S. Grab some coffee and chat!
Not sure I'll make Black Rifle either, I may have some other things going on later that morning.
Old 01-28-2023 | 01:18 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Nice turnout this morning! Really enjoyed meeting everyone and looking forward to some events. If anyone is going to the Chin event next weekend at COTA let me know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brainofjjj:
awu (01-29-2023), Limey Hooligan (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023 | 04:10 PM
awu
Intermediate

Was great meeting everyone yesterday, we'll have to go another one soon.
The following users liked this post:
Limey Hooligan (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023 | 09:45 AM
Limey Hooligan
Rennlist Member

Yes, good to see everyone!
Old 01-31-2023 | 12:34 AM
yf.jaz
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Sonder
Thanks for the well wishes and the insights. I have a little apprehension about the Dundon street headers because I have no tolerance for CELs. The more people that can let me know they're not having issues, the better. I echo your sentiment on the Cargraphic valve controller; I already have that installed because the abrupt opening midway through the RPM range is nonsensical when you have aftermarket exhaust parts. I think I'll keep an eye on classifieds for those street headers and if the price is right, it's worth a try. Nothing that can't be undone.

My reservation on the stock center is that it could crack and not have a warranty. Last night, I ordered the Dundon loud muffler and plan to try this with my valved Soul SMD. If I want more at that point, headers could put it in the best spot. I just need to hear how loud the Dundon loud center muffler is with no side pipes.

Thank you. Power is always nice but the car is plenty fast. I'll see if I can find them used for cheap to try out.

There is no chance you'll like having both Soul muffler deletes, but I'll PM you and I'd like to meet up.

Edit: looks like I can't PM you, @Xec. If you're able to PM me, please share your contact info. I don't have an Instagram account, but I'll have someone shoot you a dm if I can.
So I have a 2015 991.1 Gt3 that I occasionally track but do 1000-1200 miles a month of both normal and spirited canyon and freeway driving on. My car came with an AWE CMD which was too quiet for me. I then purchased the Soul Performance CMD and Side muffler delete (non valved) which was amazingly loud when on the throttle but abysmally drone-like when driving on the freeway. This is no professional equipment but my apple watch indicated 119 decibels inside the car with the windows up doing 85mph on the freeway at 6000 RPM and 115 decibels in 6th to 7th gear doing spirited freeway speeds. Having a conversation with this setup was almost impossible and longer drives were terrible. Additionally, the car vibrated a lot to the point where some of my passengers would feel nauseous as a result (i did not mind this...because racecar) Another item to note on this is since it was not valved, I did get state reffed for my exhaust (I live in southern california)

I then removed the side mufflers and now use just the Soul center muffler delete which retains the OEM valve functionality of the side mufflers. The car is a bit too quiet now, but as long as you aren't surrounded by a bunch of loud V10s then the car will scream loud enough.

I'm also looking for a system that "cracks" and is extremely loud with the valves open, but conversation quiet with the valves closed that can pair with the soul CMD.
Old 01-31-2023 | 06:01 AM
jb997
Advanced

Originally Posted by yf.jaz
So I have a 2015 991.1 Gt3 that I occasionally track but do 1000-1200 miles a month of both normal and spirited canyon and freeway driving on. My car came with an AWE CMD which was too quiet for me. I then purchased the Soul Performance CMD and Side muffler delete (non valved) which was amazingly loud when on the throttle but abysmally drone-like when driving on the freeway. This is no professional equipment but my apple watch indicated 119 decibels inside the car with the windows up doing 85mph on the freeway at 6000 RPM and 115 decibels in 6th to 7th gear doing spirited freeway speeds. Having a conversation with this setup was almost impossible and longer drives were terrible. Additionally, the car vibrated a lot to the point where some of my passengers would feel nauseous as a result (i did not mind this...because racecar) Another item to note on this is since it was not valved, I did get state reffed for my exhaust (I live in southern california)

I then removed the side mufflers and now use just the Soul center muffler delete which retains the OEM valve functionality of the side mufflers. The car is a bit too quiet now, but as long as you aren't surrounded by a bunch of loud V10s then the car will scream loud enough.

I'm also looking for a system that "cracks" and is extremely loud with the valves open, but conversation quiet with the valves closed that can pair with the soul CMD.
I would suggest Dundon street headers to pair with Soul CMD for that power and more sound.
Old 01-31-2023 | 12:02 PM
Xec
Instructor

Originally Posted by jb997
I would suggest Dundon street headers to pair with Soul CMD for that power and more sound.
Dundon headers + Soul CMD would be even louder and more crazy than Soul CMD + SMD. Pretty much the wildest exhaust setup possible.

Dundon headers + Dundon muffler fits the bill of Wild/Mild. Only drawback is the crazy price tag. The only way to get the RSR style crack noises also is through headers.

Last edited by Xec; 01-31-2023 at 12:03 PM.
AnthonyGan (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023 | 02:02 PM
Sonder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Nice turnout this morning! Really enjoyed meeting everyone and looking forward to some events. If anyone is going to the Chin event next weekend at COTA let me know.
Sorry I missed the meet. I must have missed the thread reply notifications. I'll try and attend the next one.

Originally Posted by yf.jaz

I think you're better off with a center muffler of some sort and no side mufflers. Your desired exhaust setup doesn't mesh very well with a CMD. The side mufflers do most of the work for killing the mid-range drone but the center can help with drone if properly designed. The OEM center has a cracking issue under heavy usage like common track driving. The full Dundon system retains valve functionality and gets you to where you want to be, but you'd have to shell out a pretty penny to get there from where you are today. I'd take a look at Cargraphic headers if you want to get as close as you can with side mufflers and a CMD. Cargraphic Manifold Set Porsche 991 GT3 14-16 | PERP91GT3FKROBD2 (vividracing.com)

The Dundon headers are designed around not having side mufflers, so you couldn't really entertain their headers with a CMD. That's why I refer to the Cargraphic headers; they replace the OEM manifold and leave the capability of running side mufflers and a CMD. It should add some power and some noise, but not too much. It might be just the increment you're looking for.

Originally Posted by Xec
Dundon headers + Soul CMD would be even louder and more crazy than Soul CMD + SMD. Pretty much the wildest exhaust setup possible.

Dundon headers + Dundon muffler fits the bill of Wild/Mild. Only drawback is the crazy price tag. The only way to get the RSR style crack noises also is through headers.
Agreed.

Last edited by Sonder; 02-02-2023 at 02:04 PM.
AnthonyGan (02-03-2023)
Old 05-10-2023 | 09:04 PM
Sonder
Intermediate

I got a CEL today with the Dundon catted headers, two days after passing Texas emissions testing as part of state inspection. The fault was pending in the DME at the time of inspection and didn't cause the car to fail. As I was highway driving with light, constant throttle for a long period of time at <3K RPM, the CEL finally came on. I pulled the code, got the screenshot, and cleared it. By the time I got back to the house, the catalyst sensor was ready again. Just something to keep in mind if you're subject to emissions OBD tests and considering Dundon headers.

Quick Reply: Exploring GT3 Exhaust Options in DFW, TX