Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Too Loud Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 02:15 PM
RonnyC
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

My neighbor in a joking manner said my car is loud... I believe he was trying to tell me if I could be mindful of morning starts. So now every time I start it I have him in the back of my mind... he's a good guy so I will try the closed garage method to see if it helps. I remember someone saying to drape a wet towel on the exhaust tip's.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:09 PM
8250RPM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe offer your neighbors a bottle of something for your past, present, and future transgressions!
Old 01-11-2022, 05:25 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts

Does the full exhaust mean straight pipe (minus it has cats)? Because if yes, this is very very VERY loud. It is so loud that I sincerely recommend each and every one of you having a similar setup to ask your wife/significant other/friend to start your car while you are outside and hear it yourself. When I had this setup, it could be heard up to half a mile away and NOT in a good way. The low rpm/sub 1500 rpm noise this car makes is not a good sound. It sounds like a loud leaf blower or a snow blower. So people hate it. I had people come up and tell me “not to run my pressure washer or compressor in early hours” because they couldnt even understand the sound was coming from a car.

Yes above 4,000 rpm its like driving an RSR but it is so loud that not only you will get tinnitus from extended exposure but also it completely eliminates the mechanical valve train noise. I would only do this for track and for gaining hp and dropping weight.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:31 AM
Zubehor
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You sure he didn't buy the car that way? Or installed it and didn't realize how loud it would be on cold start and now he's asking for advice about a reasonable solution that might not involve removing the exhaust since he likes it other than when he's waking up the neighbors? Anything to add other than being a jerk to the OP?
Do you have or have you heard a full/race exhaust in person? I'm talking center and side mufflers delete? If you did you would realize I'm not being a jerk that setup is beyond loud. Like stupid ridiculously loud. There is nothing that will make that setup quiet and courteous to his neighbors.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:34 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

I would start my side delete and center delete 991.2 GT3 with the garage door closed. Wait 10-15 seconds for it to come off high idle and then open garage and back down driveway as fast as possible.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:39 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I would start my side delete and center delete 991.2 GT3 with the garage door closed. Wait 10-15 seconds for it to come off high idle and then open garage and back down driveway as fast as possible.
Same here. Start the GT3 with garage door closed, then when idle drops and gets quieter, open the door and roll out.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:52 AM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TET GT3
Same here. Start the GT3 with garage door closed, then when idle drops and gets quieter, open the door and roll out.
Agreed.

I have a full JCR Race system coupled to oem headers and cats. Garage is closed and the car is facing nose out. 15-20 seconds after start up the fast idle drops, garage door operated to open ( handy to have electrically operated BTW ) and off you go.

Very commendable that you are such a conscientious neighbour. 2 hour jet wash sessions with residence cleaning patios and drive ways is far more anti-social than 30 seconds of a german exhaust symphony.
The following users liked this post:
8250RPM (01-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Too Loud Cold Start