Sponsored by:

Owning both GT3 and GT3RS at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 03:04 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts
Default Owning both GT3 and GT3RS at the same time

Is there anyone here who owns both GT3RS and GT3 (excluding the 997 cars)? I am seriously considering adding a GT3, I just dont know if I would get bored from the GT3. The reason for the GT3 is to have a more casual/analog experience. That being said, I dont know if owning both cars would wear off after 500-600 miles. GT3 would be manual and the RS is .2 non WP.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:15 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

I would totally get an RS to compliment the touring, if I had the garage space. I feel like those two cars are far enough apart in character that it'd be worth it.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:19 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't but I would.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:23 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Hahaha I am going to quote my OP : "Is there anyone here who owns both..." I know given a chance (money/space/etc no object), I m sure both "would" own both but doesnt at the same time. I am more interested in people who do own them both and their experiences driving them back to back on an ongoing basis.

For me to swing the touring, I would have to give up my C7 ZR1 (Manual). I could probably swing a GT3 manual winged. ZR1 is a very unique experience, I am not sure if its a smart idea to give it up for a touring.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 94 Posts

A Touring and an RS would be the perfect two car solution for me. Since I can't have both, a regular GT3 will do.
The following 3 users liked this post by DiscoWagon:
CPTAmericaMV (05-20-2021), sdm100 (05-20-2021), XLR82XS (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:07 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

i'm a manual snob. I'd go with the manual gt3 for experience and replace the RS with a mid engine exotic that has more cylinders and was designed from the start to be a 2 seater like a huracan rwd.

if you do track then keep the RS and consider a GT4 for the street. I think that would offer a different enough experience.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:22 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 290 Likes on 146 Posts

I just bought a .2 GT3 with a PDK transmission. I sold the Scuderia that I had. I miss the car. Its hard for me to say why I am like this but I love the GT3's so much. I wish I could have kept the Scuderia. Its the best car next to the GT3 RS. Ill write up what differences I feel.

The following 3 users liked this post by RyanSD:
-Ryan- (05-20-2021), CustomPerformanc (05-22-2021), exit87 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:33 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I like convertibles, and I think rather than a touring, the Speedster would give you a different driving experience. Too bad they are significantly more expensive.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:56 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Is there anyone here who owns both GT3RS and GT3 (excluding the 997 cars)? I am seriously considering adding a GT3, I just dont know if I would get bored from the GT3. The reason for the GT3 is to have a more casual/analog experience. That being said, I dont know if owning both cars would wear off after 500-600 miles. GT3 would be manual and the RS is .2 non WP.
Do it, your RS will be up for sale after a few months. If you want different, buy a 997.2 RS.

997.2 3RS >> 991.x 3RS
Old 05-20-2021, 04:56 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Absolutely! I will take #9 or #16 please and thank you!

Old 05-20-2021, 05:05 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I recently considered this, adding a manual GT3, but decided a mclaren offered a different and distinct driving experience to the RS. having owned a .2 (admittedly a PDK) and an RS I would think they offer too similar a driving experience.
991C2S88 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

If you mostly look at cars, as in the car being an art object or a moving sculpture, GT3 Touring and GT3 RS are different cars. If you are more into driving - it's the same car. I drove the **** out of both GT3 and RS for years, and I can feel minute differences in tire pressures and temperatures or how the balance of the car changes as fuel gets burned up while driving, and these cars are not sufficiently different to justify garage space even if money is no object. One scenario where having both would kind of make sense is if you absolutely have to have a manual for street driving but then for some strange reason need to have the fastest possible lap time on the track - then a garage with a manual Touring and a track-only RS would "make sense". Otherwise, you feel the biggest difference between these cars when looking at them from the outside.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
catdog2 (05-23-2021), Jason Zhang (05-24-2021), montoya (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
If you mostly look at cars, as in the car being an art object or a moving sculpture, GT3 Touring and GT3 RS are different cars. If you are more into driving - it's the same car. I drove the **** out of both GT3 and RS for years, and I can feel minute differences in tire pressures and temperatures or how the balance of the car changes as fuel gets burned up while driving, and these cars are not sufficiently different to justify garage space even if money is no object. One scenario where having both would kind of make sense is if you absolutely have to have a manual for street driving but then for some strange reason need to have the fastest possible lap time on the track - then a garage with a manual Touring and a track-only RS would "make sense". Otherwise, you feel the biggest difference between these cars when looking at them from the outside.
I dont track the RS. And I cant give up the RS. Reason is it gives me the closest proper race car experience. The downshifts using the PDK lever is the next best thing to the sequential gearboxes that I will never be able to experience. They are so explosive, even at low 4000 rpms coming to a red light and downshifting from 5th all the way to 1st. Then there is the extremely direct precise steering and stiff (in a very good way) ride that GT3 does not have. Manual simply does not give me the goosebumps the RS does. Dont hang me for saying this, but the way this engine revs, PDK is a much more appropriate transmission. Manual is nostalgic and is unique and yes it is really technically advanced with the no lift shift (which btw is no different than PDK except you are pressing a pedal but whats the point? I would want manual for all the imperfections and mistakes that comes with it) and yes there could be a place for it but never in place of an RS. RS with straight pipes is an experience unlike any other car. That being said, as with any car, if you drive it enough you get bored of it. All the things I mentioned above, wears you down. So you need a car for those other days where you simply want to cruise and perhaps go longer distances than 20-30 mile country backroads. I simply cannot tolerate those types of trips with the RS.

But I hear you and I dont necessarily disagree with you. Ideally I would love to have a touring but at 250k I would have to give up my C7 ZR1. And I think that would be a mistake as that provides a much more unique experience over a base manual (Given I have an RS).
catdog2 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:43 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

If you're going to add a GT3, go with 992
Old 05-20-2021, 10:55 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I dont track the RS. And I cant give up the RS. Reason is it gives me the closest proper race car experience. The downshifts using the PDK lever is the next best thing to the sequential gearboxes that I will never be able to experience. They are so explosive, even at low 4000 rpms coming to a red light and downshifting from 5th all the way to 1st. Then there is the extremely direct precise steering and stiff (in a very good way) ride that GT3 does not have. Manual simply does not give me the goosebumps the RS does. Dont hang me for saying this, but the way this engine revs, PDK is a much more appropriate transmission. Manual is nostalgic and is unique and yes it is really technically advanced with the no lift shift (which btw is no different than PDK except you are pressing a pedal but whats the point? I would want manual for all the imperfections and mistakes that comes with it) and yes there could be a place for it but never in place of an RS. RS with straight pipes is an experience unlike any other car. That being said, as with any car, if you drive it enough you get bored of it. All the things I mentioned above, wears you down. So you need a car for those other days where you simply want to cruise and perhaps go longer distances than 20-30 mile country backroads. I simply cannot tolerate those types of trips with the RS.

But I hear you and I dont necessarily disagree with you. Ideally I would love to have a touring but at 250k I would have to give up my C7 ZR1. And I think that would be a mistake as that provides a much more unique experience over a base manual (Given I have an RS).
It sounds like you have answered your question. I currently have a 991RS and an R8V10plus. During the week the R8 gets almost all the miles and is an amazing car plus the stereo is wicked. The RS gets all the track days, canyon runs, and agreed is an amazing street car that feels like a quasi race car.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with trying 2 p cars. If you find you don’t like it you can go back. I sold my 991 RS for a 92TTS.

That lasted 4K miles and I bought another 991RS. We cars enthusiasts are living at a time with so many incredible choices.
991C2S88 (05-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Owning both GT3 and GT3RS at the same time