Test Drove a 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:12 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

obvious answer is get both...

The following 5 users liked this post by kfmcmahon:
AlexCeres (04-11-2021), porscheflat6 (04-12-2021), Pyrat2 (04-10-2021), sgreer78 (04-09-2021), sonorous (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:14 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts

I owned a 718 GT4 for about 6 weeks in addition to the other cars in my signature. It was a great looking car and without any other GT cars to compare it to, I hope I would have been smitten. That said, I was wholly and thoroughly underwhelmed by the car on the street. While I could definitely tell the car belonged on the track, and I really enjoyed the very direct steering, I found the engine and gearbox in particular to be quite the let-down in comparison to the GT3 units. I’m not sure if I had unrealistic expectations, or if my previous/current GT car ownership skewed perceptions. The RS is so much more of an event to drive, even if you are just tooling around on the street.
The following users liked this post:
DK7 (04-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:41 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Having a .1 RS, the car definitely takes some getting used to and the rear-engine setup leads to this "point and shoot" nature of driving, while very rewarding to get it right, can be punishing if you get it wrong. I can totally see how a mid-engined platform would be a lot more balanced and have more elements of a "momentum" car. If they're talking about 450-475 bhp on the GT4 RS with a lot more downforce, could see a pretty substantial improvement on an already competent GT4 and driving experience wise, might be the one to beat.
paradocs98 (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 01:00 AM
Pyrat2
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting thread. Having come from a 981 GT4 and now in a GT3 I certainly have a different view. I admit that I haven't driven a 718 GT4 so maybe it is dramatically different.

I sorely miss my GT4 and wish I kept it and my GT3. I viewed the GT3 as an upgrade and so didn't think about keeping the GT4. In hind site I wish I kept it along with the GT3. The 9K redline is missing so that aspect of the sound is missing. On the other hand having that engine right behind your head is amazing. The sound effects, except for the 9K rpm disadvantage, are beyond what the GT3 can offer just due to the distance from your ears. I could hear the intake, exhaust, and the transmission gear changes. You could hear the precision in the mechanics. In the GT3 these details are muted but replaced by the amazing redline. The balance on the GT4 is also amazing. It's very competitive on tighter tracks and in fact I have to work hard to stay ahead of a GT4 on the tighter tracks that I frequent. Of course on the high speed tracks I have the advantage with the GT3. Straight line acceleration for the GT4 is again not competitive to the GT3. But as stated on tight tracks that doesn't matter. It keeps up very well with a cornering advantage over the GT3. I suspect that many will disagree with my view here. But these nuances only come with extended time and ownership of a GT4 to appreciate the differences. Both are fantastic cars. And each have their pros and cons.

Last edited by Pyrat2; 04-10-2021 at 01:09 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pyrat2:
FogCitySF (04-10-2021), kfmcmahon (04-10-2021), neoprufrok (04-13-2021), paradocs98 (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 01:48 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think this is a pretty good review of the Cayman chassis, both the 981 and 718 form. He is far from an "entertainment writer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEkE6Qwj9cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nkWAVb-ydA
The SG reviews are pretty accurate in my view - the GTS is more fun, more of the time. The manual GT4 isn't a great road car and it isn't a great track car - its merely OK at both. The fixes for the GT4 are very obvious, it was mind blowing that 718 GT4 came out the way it did. The GTS makes so much sense for that platform, its size, weight and suspension set up. Whereas, the GT4 needs significant work to turn it into a purposeful GT car.

The reality is the GT4 is a mid pack car at basic club/multiclub timed events and in anything that requires high speed rear end compliance its MIA.

The Lotus Exige 430 Cup is a better car from the driving perspective, more raw and engaging and a lot more fun round a track. As I noted previously if you get out of a 600LT or RS or GT3 into a GT4 at a track you are really left shaking your head - not enough torque, shoddy rear end - mixed front end (comparitively), needs PDK with shorter gearing etc etc. Does any of this make it a bad car? No of course not, but its not a great car either and there are better options.

I can't see the point of the GT4 unless Porsche fix the obvious short comings - perhaps they will do that in the GT4 RS - However, I suspect they'll fix the shortcomings with marketing and add 25% on top of the standard GT4 price tag ............and they'll sell them all.

As a point of reference, in my market the GT4 sells at ~$USD 165k - and its not getting any love at that price point.

In my view its pretty simple - if you want the best road going Cayman get the GTS 4.0l on the lowered suspension with sports plus seats, and, if you want the extra zing go with the PDK (you'll even have fun round a track) and if you want to set track times at a club get a GT3 or 3RS. It really is that binary.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-10-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:34 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I cycle regularly between regretting selling the 981 GT4 and then remembering the long gearing, lack of no-lift-shift. I remember thinking how perfect the spoiler was on the already good-looking 981 chassis, but then remember concluding the spoiler was too short, tall enough only to block the rear view.

The only thoughts I've had that haven't changed is that 1) 981 GT4 engine sound is uniquely great and 2) the GT4, whether 981 or 718, does an amazing job at being a gateway drug to GT3's.

Last edited by 80p; 04-10-2021 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:02 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Owned a pdk cgts for 5 years, test drove a couple 981 Gt4, and have a 991.2 gt3 now for 6 months. The gt4 felt 10% more than my gts. Could never justify its price per experience bump already being and owner. The longer gear is definitely a thing and I love rowing as much as possible. If would be great to add to your chart a 3rd column for speed, gt3 shifting at 8k rpms.

The gts was very competent and very well balanced on the street and track, I could push its limits, it was amazing at tell me its limits, and it was so controlled when you went over. The gt4 felt like it had that plut 10-20% extra but nothing crazy. On the street (still havent done a track day as just broke 2k mile) running my same spirited driving routes, the gt3 is a whole other level. At the pace that would push my cgts limits the gt3 feels held back and I am still learning to trust the car. I didnt think there could be just a gulf between them.
People always tell me I am crazy but I felt the same way. I owned a 981S that I bought before the GTS came out but it was optioned similarly (PASM, PTV, etc). The manual gearing was long but the car was very fun.

It was around a 75k car in 2013. When the GT4 came out, I had the opportunity to drive a couple of them. They were basically 100-110k cars at a time that my car was worth a bit more than half that. Compared to my 981 there was not enough of a difference in stock form on the street to justify the switch. It was twice the cost of my 981 plus PPF for what I felt was 10-15% more car on the street.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:11 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

However, I suspect they'll fix the shortcomings with marketing and add 25% on top of the standard GT4 price tag ............and they'll sell them all.
Its a great platform but Porsche is still more worried about positioning of these cars within their brand than making a great car. Every GT4 has been shackled with detuned engines, long gearing, etc simply to keep the performance in the shadow of the 911. If they truly throw their best effort at the RS it will be something but I am suspecting PDK only, a bit more horsepower, and aero. That’s about it.

The only reason they are doing it is because they now have more head space to work with since the 992 GT3 is supposedly faster on the track.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Great thread so far. Have a 991.2RS for track that I plan to keep for a long time. Been looking to replace an E92 M3 with GT4 for daily driving. Concerned that GT4 would feel too similar to RS albeit slower. For daily driving, I generally prefer cars to SUVs. Also would love something that has a manual transmission. Would love to hear more thoughts around this.

Last edited by Thinker23; 04-10-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Great thread so far. Have a 991.2RS for track that I plan to keep for a long time. Been looking to replace an E92 M3 with GT4 for daily driving. Concerned that GT4 would feel too similar to RS albeit slower. For daily driving, I generally prefer cars to SUVs. Also would love something that has a manual transmission. Would love to hear more thoughts around this.
It’s pretty firm for DD unless your roads are very good, but some are doing it.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:48 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It’s pretty firm for DD unless your roads are very good, but some are doing it.
In addition to the front lip being a pain for any driveway of medium incline or worse. The GT4 does not have front axle lift as an option from the factory.

The GTS would likely be a better bet for DD. But I find the design of the GT4 much more appealing. IMO, the GT4 and Spyder are the best looking cars in Porsche’s lineup today. But I acknowledge they are not for everyone.
AlexCeres (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 12:56 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

I recently drove a 718 Spider and owned a 981 GT4 for almost three years. I only got to drive the 718 around town for a short bit, and it didn't feel noticeably quicker than my GT4, but it most definitely didn't sound as good. It didn't sound bad, but the 3.8L in the GT4 sounded amazing to me. Still, the GT4 suspension and much-improved top mechanism are enough to make me take a 718 Spider over a 981. The 981 GT4 had the shortcomings we all acknowledge, but I still don't think there's another sports car currently trading at sub-$100k that's even close to the combination of qualities that the car has. It might be one of those cars in ten years you kick yourself for not buying when you could get a nice CPO car for $85k.

neoprufrok (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 03:16 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Originally Posted by josephvman
but I still don't think there's another sports car currently trading at sub-$100k that's even close to the combination of qualities that the car has.
This is where my mind is at too. Don’t see other great alternatives out there either.

With respect to ride stiffness, it should be fine if it’s softer than the RS. Have no problems driving the RS every day other than road noise.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:21 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Originally Posted by KelvinC
In addition to the front lip being a pain for any driveway of medium incline or worse. The GT4 does not have front axle lift as an option from the factory.

The GTS would likely be a better bet for DD. But I find the design of the GT4 much more appealing. IMO, the GT4 and Spyder are the best looking cars in Porsche’s lineup today. But I acknowledge they are not for everyone.
We have an odd entry. RS lip rubs even with the front axel lift. Agree that GT4 looks much better than GTS and that’s an important factor in the decision.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:31 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
If you're looking for a fun daily driver with a manual transmission, the GT4 is a good possibility, especially if you don't want to spend $180-200k+ on a 991.2 GT3/Touring. I had an E90 M3 for three years and loved it (especially with the Dinan midpipe and tune) and now have had a GT4 for 5 years, along with an M2 Comp for the last couple of years. The GT4 feels much smaller, lighter and more nimble than the E90/2 M3, because it is. It's a much more connected car to the road. And the manual trans in the GT4 is simply amazing. Direct, mechanical, confident. The manual in my M2 Comp feels like a Playskool toy in comparison. A shift kit and clutch pedal change have helped the M2, but the GT4's transmission is still orders of magnitude better. The one thing I miss about my E90 M3 is the engine--that high-revving NA V8 was a thing of wonder, but I wasn't looking forward to paying for any potential issues out of warranty. And the downside of the GT4 being so small and low to the ground is you do feel a bit vulnerable in traffic, especially in dense suburban areas with the crowds of clueless and/or aggressive SUV drivers. A bright color helps to make you feel seen so you don't get run over.

But a 991.2 RS with its power and PDK for the track, and a manual transmission GT4 for the street may be an ideal combo...

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 718 GT4