Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 SuperSprint headers & HJS cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Drone is minimal at this time. Nothing that’s going to cause you to lose your mind. None of that constant ‘BOOM’ while driving. We’ll see once the muffler packing has a chance to break in. The best way I can describe the sound is classic Porsche flat 6. Really refined and not like the other higher pitched offerings out there. There’s no rasp whatsoever. Only issue I have are the tips don’t extend passed the bumper opening. I don’t know if that was intended and honestly it doesn’t look too bad. I’ve emailed them and awaiting response.

Last edited by Bx Tpr; 03-13-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Bx Tpr
Supersprint does make side delete pipes (no valves) that can be used with their muffler.

I’ve run both the Dundon street and race header systems. So I have something to compare when it comes to the power increase. Unfortunately the cats on the street system failed terribly and the O2 extenders on the race system kept failing. Supersprint was the only company I found with long tube stepped primary headers using HJS cats. I’m pretty sure the power production will be on par with the Dundons and the sound clips will have to wait until everything is installed.
can you please comment more on your experience with these headers vs Dundon?

I’m seriously considering buying Dundon headers this spring, mostly for power gains, secondly for weight loss, and thirdly for more sound.

that is the order of my priorities with choosing headers.

However, the Dundon headers are crazy expensive and I was disappointed to learn their headers are exactly the same between the .1 and .2 GT3s which suggests their engineering isn’t as unique to the .2 engine as their marketing would suggest.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-13-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting
can you please comment more on your experience with these headers vs Dundon?

I’m seriously considering buying Dundon headers this spring, mostly for power gains, secondly for weight loss, and thirdly for more sound.

that is the order of my priorities with choosing headers.

However, the Dundon headers are crazy expensive and I was disappointed to learn their headers are exactly the same between the .1 and .2 GT3s which suggests their engineering isn’t as unique to the .2 engine as their marketing would suggest.
Dundon makes amazing parts and the money you’re spending is mostly on the engineering behind the parts. I’ve got their whole top end kit and hopefully they’ll come out with the intake runners for the 991’s as well.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I had issues with their street system cats and I was having to go under the car every 7000 miles to replace the anti foulers with the race system because of the engine light.

I can’t feel a power difference between the two. Only difference at this point is the sound of the two systems. Dundon = high pitched scream, Supersprint = deeper classic flat 6 sound. I’m pretty sure if I slap on a Dundon muffler with the supersprint headers it would give it a higher pitched tone. I think it’s all in the muffler piping where the Dundon uses an internal X pipe and the supersprint doesn’t incorporate any crossover between the banks.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Dundon makes amazing parts and the money you’re spending is mostly on the engineering behind the parts. I’ve got their whole top end kit and hopefully they’ll come out with the intake runners for the 991’s as well.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I had issues with their street system cats and I was having to go under the car every 7000 miles to replace the anti foulers with the race system because of the engine light.

I can’t feel a power difference between the two. Only difference at this point is the sound of the two systems. Dundon = high pitched scream, Supersprint = deeper classic flat 6 sound. I’m pretty sure if I slap on a Dundon muffler with the supersprint headers it would give it a higher pitched tone. I think it’s all in the muffler piping where the Dundon uses an internal X pipe and the supersprint doesn’t incorporate any crossover between the banks.
I guess my question is how much of the engineering cost is the quality of the materials (which I believe is better at Dundon than other companies) vs the engineering. I was disappointed to learn that the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 headers from Dundon are the same, though the engines for those two cars are quite different. If the Dundon engineering is so superior, I would have expected them to make a 991.2 GT3 header system different from the 991.1 GT3 system.

Can you clarify your issue with the cats, because you said you had issues with the dundon street header system yet you had to go under the car every 7000 miles for the race system? What were your issues with the Dundon street header system? The street headers are what I am considering from Dundon.

Did you do a dyno run for both systems? I would be very interested to a direct dyno comparison on the same car between Dundon and supersprint headers?

What is the cost of the supersprint header system? Any idea how the weight compares to Dundon?

Last edited by Drifting; 03-14-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:57 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting;[url=[url
tel:17295876]17295876]I[/url] guess my question is how much of the engineering cost is the quality of the materials (which I believe is better at Dundon than other companies) vs the engineering. I was disappointed to learn that the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 headers from Dundon are the same, though the engines for those two cars are quite different. If the Dundon engineering is so superior, I would have expected them to make a 991.2 GT3 header system different from the 991.1 GT3 system.

Can you clarify your issue with the cats, because you said you had issues with the dundon street header system yet you had to go under the car every 7000 miles for the race system? What were your issues with the Dundon street header system? The street headers are what I am considering from Dundon.

Did you do a dyno run for both systems? I would be very interested to a direct dyno comparison on the same car between Dundon and supersprint headers?

What is the cost of the supersprint header system? Any idea how the weight compares to Dundon?
I would reach out to Dundon and ask about the whole .1 and .2 differences.

The street cats had come apart internally. The elements started breaking off in little pieces and rattling inside the exhaust. From what I saw the retaining ring holding the elements in place loosened up and shifted no longer containing the element inside. I believe they’ve fixed the issue now.

Once I advised Dundon of the issue they went out of their way to send out the race header system to replace the street system. The race header system includes o2 anti foulers with a mini cat element in it. As long as the mini cat element is working properly you won’t get a check engine light. Unfortunately the heat of the exhaust just melted the mini element away and throw a check engine light every 7-8000 miles. Replaced them 3 times and that was it for me so I sold the system and picked up the supersprint system with the hjs cats.

I never had a chance to do a before and after dyno.
Supersprint is def heavier.
Pricing below:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...90-black-tips/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...t-step-design/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...er-right-left/

Last edited by Bx Tpr; 03-14-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:03 AM
Muu83
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

are super sprint reusing the 997 box there? The box is the same shape the tips are shorter on the 997
Old 03-15-2021, 01:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Drone is minimal at this time. Nothing that’s going to cause you to lose your mind. None of that constant ‘BOOM’ while driving. We’ll see once the muffler packing has a chance to break in. The best way I can describe the sound is classic Porsche flat 6. Really refined and not like the other higher pitched offerings out there. There’s no rasp whatsoever. Only issue I have are the tips don’t extend passed the bumper opening. I don’t know if that was intended and honestly it doesn’t look too bad. I’ve emailed them and awaiting response.
You have a 991.2? The tips are longer on the .2 vs the .1 I have the Dundon muffler on my .1 and the tips stick out a father then the stock ones.

Some time we just can't win.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I guess my question is how much of the engineering cost is the quality of the materials (which I believe is better at Dundon than other companies) vs the engineering. I was disappointed to learn that the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 headers from Dundon are the same, though the engines for those two cars are quite different. If the Dundon engineering is so superior, I would have expected them to make a 991.2 GT3 header system different from the 991.1 GT3 system.

My guess is they looked at it, and decided the engineering time and effort was not worth another couple of HP and then having to carry different types of headers.
Even the .1 GT3 Vs .1 RS are very different engines, but they both use the same header system.

This is the same thing as the .1 GT3 intake system, it was not worth their effort and cost to produce an intake kit, once they found out the Touring intake worked for the .1 GT3.

It's a small market to sell expensive parts for the GT3/RS, and the more modular the parts are the cheaper they are for us to buy and also makes the parts much easer to sell second hand.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:37 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
.1 GT3 Vs .1 RS are very different engines, but they both use the same header system.
Only differences are the crankshaft and the ECU, isnt it?
Old 04-24-2021, 06:08 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Headers, cats and valve bypass caps are all for sale. Going back to oem for now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1247925
Old 04-24-2021, 10:04 PM
Pyrat2
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Headers, cats and valve bypass caps are all for sale. Going back to oem for now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1247925
Why you going back to OEM? Issue with the SS system?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pyrat2
Why you going back to OEM? Issue with the SS system?
none whatsoever. The fitment was spot on with clearance everywhere and def made a difference in power. I just like to try out exhaust exhaust. This was my third header setup and it had the best fit so far and with the 200cel cats there was never a need to tune. I’ve sold my old exhausts on here.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 SuperSprint headers & HJS cats