PPI recommendation near Porsche Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 04:14 PM
bishwei
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PPI recommendation near Porsche Minneapolis

Hey folks,
I'm currently looking to get a CPO GT3 out of Porsche Minneapolis - the dealership is okay with a PPI, as long as its done at their facility (I guess they don't want to take the gt3 out because its a high value car).

I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations for a good shop to perform PPI near Porsche Minneapolis?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

https://imolamotorsports.com/pages/service
They've serviced my Audis and 911 for many years and I've never been disappointed. Is the dealer going to let you take the car off of the premises?
Old 11-18-2020, 06:02 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

i doubt the dealer would let you take a gt3 off their floor to have another shop tool around on it. i'd just have it done at the same dealer and get everything in writing. make sure they take pics of everything.

i believe you are looking at the chalk one with like 2000 miles or something ? all they need to check is the brakes/clutch and look for signs of wear and tear or paintwork. I dont think a car can be CPO if it has had paintwork or a prior accident? but i could be wrong. The warranty would cover any mechanical faults.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:59 PM
bishwei
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
i doubt the dealer would let you take a gt3 off their floor to have another shop tool around on it. i'd just have it done at the same dealer and get everything in writing. make sure they take pics of everything.

i believe you are looking at the chalk one with like 2000 miles or something ? all they need to check is the brakes/clutch and look for signs of wear and tear or paintwork. I dont think a car can be CPO if it has had paintwork or a prior accident? but i could be wrong. The warranty would cover any mechanical faults.
Yup, that's the one! The dealer doesn't want to take the gt3 out and most of the shops I've called (Imola, Auto Edge) won't send a tech over unfortunately.
The CPO inspection checked out and looks great - but I would still prefer to at least have it visually looked at for any sign of paintwork, esp since I'm in California. This was a surprise to me, but a CPO is valid as long as the number of panels painted is < 3.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Ive seen a car with accident/paintwork that was recently cpo’d.Suprising but possible. Not many around.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:14 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe have Porsche Minneapolis do a a full DME dump to see what the rev ranges have been.

Have Porsche Minneapolis walk around the car with video and measure paint thickness. You could do this live.

Regards

Pranqster
Old 11-19-2020, 06:25 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by pranqster
Maybe have Porsche Minneapolis do a a full DME dump to see what the rev ranges have been.

Have Porsche Minneapolis walk around the car with video and measure paint thickness. You could do this live.

Regards

Pranqster
IF they have a paint depth gauge. otherwise he may have to buy or mail one to them. im pretty picky about paint, but to be real if no one can notice it from a few feet away and the carfax is clean i think your fine. For everyone 1 person that brings a paint depth gauge and scoffs at your asking price due to inconsistencies you will have 5 others who don't care.

i've seen a few cars, which i know for a fact had a repainted bumper, pass ppi at well known exotic shops with flying colors.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Ive seen a car with accident/paintwork that was recently cpo’d.Suprising but possible. Not many around.
My 997.2 C2S that I had previously was CPO'd multiple times with paintwork. Long story, but salesperson knowingly told me he walked around it 2x with a paint meter and it never had paint work, I flew and inspected the car and it did. Later found out that he actually was the one that sold it to the original owner and authorized all of the paint work on it, and it was a big issue at the dealer as the original owner didn't want the entire panel repainted, just the scratch touched up, people were fired as the owner didn't want the car anymore, etc. Long story short, I would want that it has no paintwork in writing and also a walk around video.

Personally, I still don't know why paintwork is such a big issue on Porsche's if it's for rock chips or a scratch, but it is, so you have to play the game, or account for the lower value when purchasing. Those looking to paint meter a car to find out about previous accident damage that isn't disclosed, I understand.

CPO cars should be considered a car with a basic consumable inspection (brakes, tires), up to date on service and a warranty. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:43 AM
toxatyt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's worth doing an inspection.
I always do an inspection before I buy a car. I recently bought a car, and I did a complete inspection, the car was not new, and it was a used car, so you have to be even more careful. I noticed now on the used car market there are a lot of really good options, so you can look there, maybe you will like something.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:04 AM
BlackBo
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paintwork is common, if done well it is a non issue. In AZ rock chips are a big problem, the reputable dealers repaint most bumpers as part of the reconditioning process prior to resale.

Sorry, did not read the date of the original post.

Last edited by BlackBo; 08-02-2022 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:29 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Just saw the car yesterday - didn’t look that closely as it was parked as if it was a customer car and not for sale - which I guess it’s not if you have signed a purchase agreement. Maybe rather than a Porsche shop you want a body shop? I think LaMettry is the preferred body shop for Porsche Mpls - I bet they would send over a tech with a paint meter and a flashlight for a fee but maybe not. I would be really surprised if it had undisclosed body damage - while you pay at Porsche Mpls the people are all excellent.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:44 AM
PrestigousPira
3rd Gear

PPI is important
Old 06-11-2024, 08:34 AM
roadawg1608
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Old post but Porsche Minneapolis is great to work with

Last edited by roadawg1608; 06-11-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:13 AM
earlyaircooIed
Banned

PPI is very important

Quick Reply: PPI recommendation near Porsche Minneapolis