Sponsored by:

21inch RS Tires - heat cycles etc CupR's / Trofeo R's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 09:05 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Ace
I went through 2 sets of R's this summer. Took me one lap to get heat into them and they were very good for (4) 25 minutes sessions each day. The first set lasted just 2 days before the outside edges corded. That was at Laguna Seca with alignment set at -2.5 on all four corners. Had the alignment tweaked to -3.5 and the second set lasted 3 days at Thunderhill. 1 day on the 3 Mile track and 2 days on the 5 Mile track.

Notes: They like a descent amount of camber
Best "for me" HOT tire pressures: 31 front & 33 rear
Pros: Super sticky & fast for a street tire
Cons: Price & longevity

In 15 months and 8000 miles I've been through two sets of Cup 2's, two 2 sets of Cup 2R's and two sets of Dunlop's tires. No experience with Trofeo's.

In my humble opinion.... Best all around tire of the bunch..... Dunlop's. The Dunlop's are consistent for 20 minutes. They're lasting 4 days and nearly as fast as the Cup R's.

-Dave
Have any N spec Cup 2 vs R vs Dunlop lap time data? thanks
Old 10-28-2020, 01:02 PM
CSTROH
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have burned through 2 sets of Cup2-R's on my 2018 GT3 in the last month with stock alignment. The first (#1) set of tires looked alright after about 6 20min sessions at Gingerman raceway with a good balance of left and right turns. I ran 5 sessions at a clockwise track that's tough on left side tires, Grattan Raceway, and the front left was worn down to cords, and the rears were worn about 65-70%, front right looked okay. The car was really fast with cup-2R's, the grip is incredible, they make hero laps seem easy.

I smoked the second set (#2) in one morning at PBIR I ran a few 15-20min sessions with short breaks in between, then ran the car for a solid hour. Tires probably saw 2-2.5hrs of total run time. I was probably over driving sometimes. The front left was worn down to the cords on the outside shoulder, again. The rears had some good wear too, front right looked okay.

If I were running a 2 day event with freshly mounted Cup-2R's I think I would need to rotate the tires after day one to have confidence in having enough rubber for day 2. I'd also be very careful not to overdrive on day 1.

I have decided to switch back regular Cup-2's until I can get a better track alignment on the car. The car is at Champion Motorsports now awaiting new tires, alignment, Dundon Power kit, cage, harnesses, and some other goodies. I'll surely try the R compound tires again and will report back after alignment change. Given how quickly they wear, unless you are competing they are fun but feel gratuitous given their limited endurance. Even if you don't mind the cost of running the R's its annoying to need to plan on a visit to the shop for new tires after an HPDE weekend, or day not to mention the worry of driving the car to the shop on a tire that is showing cords. I hope that with a better track oriented alignment and regular Cup 2 tires that I'll be able to get a 3 or 4 track days out of a set of tires. I am sure the Dundon kit will help with my tire wear situation and also enhance my driving skills.... I'll report back.

This is all making me consider buying a trailer and track only tires...

Last edited by CSTROH; 10-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CSTROH:
Apex Ace (10-28-2020), hsb1001 (10-28-2020), ParadiseGT3 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:38 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

So it appears that the longevity of R's might be 12 runs on average by pushing them, if rotated side to side then perhaps a few more runs max. This equates to 3 days of HPE driving on average until they are corded/toast.

It does sound to be an expensive option for 3 days of HPDE which is 1k+ per day of tire use given they run at just over 3k a set plus installation. I am now thinking that the Dunlop's might be the better option to try which last twice as many cycles and over 1k cheaper installed.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:48 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CSTROH
I have burned through 2 sets of Cup2-R's on my 2018 GT3 in the last month with stock alignment. The first (#1) set of tires looked alright after about 6 20min sessions at Gingerman raceway with a good balance of left and right turns. I ran 5 sessions at a clockwise track that's tough on left side tires, Grattan Raceway, and the front left was worn down to cords, and the rears were worn about 65-70%, front right looked okay. The car was really fast cup-2R's, the grip is incredible, they make hero laps seem easy.
What's a .2 with R's run at Gingerman? K1 spec R's? Track is tough on front left and generally hard on tires & brakes.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:49 PM
CSTROH
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
What's a .2 with R's run at Gingerman? K1 spec R's? Track is tough on front left and generally hard on tires & brakes.
My 991.2 GT3 with manual and MPSC2-R was keeping pace with other cars that were running consistent 1:25's in the advanced group. I was not pushing it at the end of the straight or in any of the many other unforgiving areas of that track. I am sure a pro could really run some impressive times if they were trying.

Last edited by CSTROH; 10-28-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CSTROH
My 991.2 GT3 with manual and MPSC2-R was keeping pace with other cars that were running consistent 1:25's in the advanced group. I was not pushing it at the end of the straight or in any of the many other unforgiving areas of that track. I am sure a pro could really run some impressive times if they were trying.
35's is moving. Ballpark -2 seconds as compared to N1 Cup 2's?

@hsb1001 maybe -3-4 seconds vs. Cup 2 @ Sebring. That's a mega premium over the Dunlops if they do split the lap time difference and last 2-3x as long.
The following users liked this post:
hsb1001 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 05:26 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
35's is moving. Ballpark -2 seconds as compared to N1 Cup 2's?

@hsb1001 maybe -3-4 seconds vs. Cup 2 @ Sebring. That's a mega premium over the Dunlops if they do split the lap time difference and last 2-3x as long.
Yeah mega premium, although new Slicks are 2k plus and will last the same it seems but don't come in OEM sizes. I am still on the fence as Sebring will the place for me to test Cup R's.

My driving style might be 2 full weekends on a set of R's if I went that route with rotation, Dunlops would be 3 full weekends from what I hear.

Last edited by hsb1001; 10-28-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 21inch RS Tires - heat cycles etc CupR's / Trofeo R's