Sponsored by:

21inch RS Tires - heat cycles etc CupR's / Trofeo R's

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 21inch RS Tires - heat cycles etc CupR's / Trofeo R's

Ok this is not about Cup 2's or Dunlops, allot of data on those already.

Looking for those who have used Cup 2 R or the Trofeo R's and what was their experience on Track only please?

Heat Cycles
Wear Rate
Consistency
How many days out of them

I have seen all the youtube videos but these are primarily 1 lap wonder videos and nothing about the life span of these, for DE events I want to go better than the regular N2 Cup 2's and looking for any guidance/advice on this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2020, 11:30 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

What is your experience with the Cup2s? Issues, not happy? Suspension and a bit more focused aero would be better than the Cup2 Rs.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:38 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3the01
What is your experience with the Cup2s? Issues, not happy? Suspension and a bit more focused aero would be better than the Cup2 Rs.
In Florida weather the Cup 2's for me get squirmy and don't inspire allot of confidence to me, just looking for the next step up as the weather cools a bit and trying to get the maximum out of a different tire choice. Aero and setup is dialled in well, confidence in a better compound and not going slicks again is what i am looking for.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:09 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
In Florida weather the Cup 2's for me get squirmy and don't inspire allot of confidence to me, just looking for the next step up as the weather cools a bit and trying to get the maximum out of a different tire choice. Aero and setup is dialled in well, confidence in a better compound and not going slicks again is what i am looking for.
As an experiment, the R's seem interesting but given they get eaten so quickly just cant swallow that. I want new suspension but waiting till after warranty...
Old 10-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 116 Posts

I went through 2 sets of R's this summer. Took me one lap to get heat into them and they were very good for (4) 25 minutes sessions each day. The first set lasted just 2 days before the outside edges corded. That was at Laguna Seca with alignment set at -2.5 on all four corners. Had the alignment tweaked to -3.5 and the second set lasted 3 days at Thunderhill. 1 day on the 3 Mile track and 2 days on the 5 Mile track.

Notes: They like a descent amount of camber
Best "for me" HOT tire pressures: 31 front & 33 rear
Pros: Super sticky & fast for a street tire
Cons: Price & longevity

In 15 months and 8000 miles I've been through two sets of Cup 2's, two 2 sets of Cup 2R's and two sets of Dunlop's tires. No experience with Trofeo's.

In my humble opinion.... Best all around tire of the bunch..... Dunlop's. The Dunlop's are consistent for 20 minutes. They're lasting 4 days and nearly as fast as the Cup R's.

-Dave
The following 4 users liked this post by Apex Ace:
carbondan (10-28-2020), hsb1001 (10-27-2020), ParadiseGT3 (10-28-2020), usrodeo4 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 03:40 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex Ace
I went through 2 sets of R's this summer. Took me one lap to get heat into them and they were very good for (4) 25 minutes sessions each day. The first set lasted just 2 days before the outside edges corded. That was at Laguna Seca with alignment set at -2.5 on all four corners. Had the alignment tweaked to -3.5 and the second set lasted 3 days at Thunderhill. 1 day on the 3 Mile track and 2 days on the 5 Mile track.

In 15 months and 8000 miles I've been through two sets of Cup 2's, two 2 sets of Cup 2R's and two sets of Dunlop's tires. No experience with Trofeo's.

In my humble opinion.... Best all around tire of the bunch..... Dunlop's. The Dunlop's are consistent for 20 minutes. They're lasting 4 days and nearly as fast as the Cup R's.

-Dave
So 2-3 days of total track time with 8-12 runs is all the Cup R's lasted for before cording and then thrown away?
Old 10-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsb1001
So 2-3 days of total track time with 8-12 runs is all the Cup R's lasted for before cording and then thrown away?
In a nutshell.... yes, but there are many variables. Ultimately driving style will dictate how long the tires are going to last. How hard do you drive? I push my cars hard, but I'm mindful of my equipment. I can make a set of tires last 2-3 days or I could kill a set of tires in 2 sessions.

-Dave
The following users liked this post:
hsb1001 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 PM
Track Rat
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

-Dave
Good info thanks for sharing. I run the same tracks as you and will be tracking the GT2 RS for the first time in November.

Can you elaborate on your driving style Vs longevity? In my ACR, I drive very hard and only got 4 to 5 sessions out of the stock front Kumhos. I guess you could say that I drive hard but try not to abuse the tires. I switched to Hoosiers and they last about three days before going to cord. They are significantly slower on the third day due to heat cycling.

For the GT2, I’d prefer to find a tire that can hold up for a weekend without the need to go easy on them. I want to stick with street tires if I can. With -3.5 camber, do you think any of them would make it through two hard driven days?
Apex Ace (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on the 2RS!! Cup R's will last you 2 days. Don't overheat them that first session out. You'll have to experiment that first day out. Additional camber is a must for a guy that has track experience like yourself.

Earlier this month I did two days back to back at Thunderhill. At the end of the first day I swapped tire sides. I ran very hard both days and still had enough tire shoulder for a 3rd day. I did a private event yesterday at TH on the 5 mile. The R's looked good and performed well, but were heat cycled midway through the day. That was the 3rd day on the R's. Wear was even and tire surface temps were within
10 degrees with -3.5.

-Dave
Old 10-27-2020, 06:21 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

For an average driver who is at 7/10's of a car's limit, do you think the R's will last considerably longer than you guys who are at the limit on the car?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:35 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

The best advice I can give is try them. I can promise you won't be disappointed by the performance of the R's. I can't promise how long they will last you.

My best,
Dave
Old 10-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Track Rat
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations on the 2RS!! Cup R's will last you 2 days. Don't overheat them that first session out. You'll have to experiment that first day out. Additional camber is a must for a guy that has track experience like yourself.

Earlier this month I did two days back to back at Thunderhill. At the end of the first day I swapped tire sides. I ran very hard both days and still had enough tire shoulder for a 3rd day. I did a private event yesterday at TH on the 5 mile. The R's looked good and performed well, but were heat cycled midway through the day. That was the 3rd day on the R's. Wear was even and tire surface temps were within
10 degrees with -3.5.

-Dave
Thanks Dave, I’m excited about the new machine to say the least!

i typically swap tires side to side mid-day each day, it’d be nice to only do it at days end.

Thunderhill 5 mile is my favorite track anywhere, also love 3 mile. What a blast, definitely rewards skill and a well balanced car.

By the way, Speed SF has a high dB weekend at Laguna 11/28-11/29. That will be my maiden voyage. Any chance you can make it?

Todd
Apex Ace (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:02 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I tried two sets. They are great the first 2-3 sessions then I lost 1-2 seconds per session. Hoosiers much better for 8-10 sessions.
Apex Ace (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Track Rat
Thanks Dave, I’m excited about the new machine to say the least!

i typically swap tires side to side mid-day each day, it’d be nice to only do it at days end.

Thunderhill 5 mile is my favorite track anywhere, also love 3 mile. What a blast, definitely rewards skill and a well balanced car.

By the way, Speed SF has a high dB weekend at Laguna 11/28-11/29. That will be my maiden voyage. Any chance you can make it?

Todd
Thanks for the heads up about Laguna. Thanksgiving weekend plans are getting in the way of that one. Damn.... I hate missing High dB days at Laguna.

The 5 mile at Thunderhill..... 23 turns, fast and technical with elevation changes... EPIC!!

We’re very fortunate to have Thunderhill (with its three configurations), Sonoma and Laguna Seca within a few hours of us in Nor Cal!

Let’s keep in touch.

Dave
Old 10-27-2020, 11:12 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

Subscribing for solid data

Quick Reply: 21inch RS Tires - heat cycles etc CupR's / Trofeo R's