Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Gt3 vs GT3RS FRONT Bumper question.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 AM
rcgalore
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991.2 Gt3 vs GT3RS FRONT Bumper question.....

991.2 model here I am referring.......
GT3 vs GT3RS Front Bumper......
Besides the obvious part numbers, which of course are different...... Does anyone know if the bumper is the same??? I have seen hundreds of different photos online inside and outside the bumper, even sideways, and they seem to be identical. I am talking about the bare front bumper. I do have noticed that the side markers are different along with the front lip and side lips spoilers on the GT3RS in order to "match" meet the wider front fenders of the GT3RS....
The following users liked this post:
GT2Driver (04-29-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:46 PM
dry36
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcgalore
991.2 model here I am referring.......
GT3 vs GT3RS Front Bumper......
Besides the obvious part numbers, which of course are different...... Does anyone know if the bumper is the same??? I have seen hundreds of different photos online inside and outside the bumper, even sideways, and they seem to be identical. I am talking about the bare front bumper. I do have noticed that the side markers are different along with the front lip and side lips spoilers on the GT3RS in order to "match" meet the wider front fenders of the GT3RS....
Did you ever get an answer to this question? Im looking for 991.2 front and rear bumper for gt3rs can i use one off of GT3? What is the difference
Old 04-27-2022, 06:53 PM
O3d
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too guys, I'm looking for GT3RS 991.2 front bumper can I use one off GT3 ?
Old 04-28-2022, 02:29 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,008 Likes on 417 Posts

Hey guys, with a little sleuthing, my observation is that they are very similar, but have some noticeable differences.

In looking at the photos of OEM bumpers, here is the evidence:
  1. GT3 bumpers have two hole mounting points at the top edge of the bumper sides, GT3 RS has one hole for mounting points.
  2. Both bumpers have vertical black trim that attaches as extensions of the front lip. For these vertical trim pieces, there is a hole for a retaining pin/clip near the top of each trim. The RS bumper has the hole on the topmost surface, just under the side marker. This is because the black trim goes all the way up to the side marker, with no painted surface section in between. The GT3 bumper does not have a hole in the same place, as the black trim stops a few inches below the gap to the marker, and uses the slot hole near the top of the "trim channel" as the retaining point for the trim. The area just under the marker is externally visible, so thus painted exterior color and smooth.
Because the trim channels look similar between the two bumpers, it's possible that there might be interchangeability, as long as the hole below the marker is filled for GT3s, and the hole is available for RSs, but I can't be certain based on observation alone. The more significant difference is the two-hole mounting point vs single-hole.

Photos (part numbers are visible):

GT3RS

GT3

Last edited by KelvinC; 04-28-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:45 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Kelvin for the insight.

Then I can conclude that fitting a GT3 RS bumper in a GT3 can have some issues in not correctly securing the bumper with only 1 mounting whole, but it can be possible to fit a GT3 bumper on a GT3 RS, because you will only use a single mounting hole.

It makes sense since the front of the 991 platform is the same accors all the models. The structural part numbers at the front are exactly the same, which leads me to conclude that there will not be dimension problems.

Having said that, be wary that it may not be the case for the rear bumper. The 991 platform is quite different in the rear for the RS, GTS and Turbo models which have big hips (wide *****s). It is because of the air intake. In this case, fiting a GT3 rear bumber in a GT3 RS will not be possible (neither the inverse).

Regards.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:43 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
Hey guys, with a little sleuthing, my observation is that they are very similar, but have some noticeable differences.

In looking at the photos of OEM bumpers, here is the evidence:
  1. GT3 bumpers have two hole mounting points at the top edge of the bumper sides, GT3 RS has one hole for mounting points.
  2. Both bumpers have vertical black trim that attaches as extensions of the front lip. For these vertical trim pieces, there is a hole for a retaining pin/clip near the top of each trim. The RS bumper has the hole on the topmost surface, just under the side marker. This is because the black trim goes all the way up to the side marker, with no painted surface section in between. The GT3 bumper does not have a hole in the same place, as the black trim stops a few inches below the gap to the marker, and uses the slot hole near the top of the "trim channel" as the retaining point for the trim. The area just under the marker is externally visible, so thus painted exterior color and smooth.
Because the trim channels look similar between the two bumpers, it's possible that there might be interchangeability, as long as the hole below the marker is filled for GT3s, and the hole is available for RSs, but I can't be certain based on observation alone. The more significant difference is the two-hole mounting point vs single-hole.

Photos (part numbers are visible):

GT3RS

GT3
Would this be a GT3 bumper then? Any idea what the top sticker number is? It was sent to me as a RS bumper but I need it for a GT3.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:02 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,008 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Would this be a GT3 bumper then? Any idea what the top sticker number is? It was sent to me as a RS bumper but I need it for a GT3.

You’ll want to confirm part numbers with an actual Porsche source (online vendor or parts dept), but based on the photo above, I believe this is from a Grey bumper for a 991.2 GT3, not a GT3 RS—based on the evidence shared above.

I can’t be certain, but the two stickers in the picture represent the bumper part no (bottom sticker) and the bumper impact/reinforcement bar part (top sticker). Inside the bumper, the photos I’ve found show an array of part numbers stuck all over the place, so they’re all pertaining to bumper and bumper-related pieces.

According to various parts catalogs online:

991.2 GT3 bumper part no is:
991-505-313-80

Impact/reinforcement bar is:
991-505-121-81

Very close to the numbers of the stickers above. I wonder if Porsche has slightly different inventory numbers based on different suppliers, or if they slightly updated these parts over the course of the lifecycle.

In any case, the bumper in question looks like it’s for a GT3, not the RS.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:15 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Originally Posted by KelvinC
You’ll want to confirm part numbers with an actual Porsche source (online vendor or parts dept), but based on the photo above, I believe this is from a Grey bumper for a 991.2 GT3, not a GT3 RS—based on the evidence shared above.

I can’t be certain, but the two stickers in the picture represent the bumper part no (bottom sticker) and the bumper impact/reinforcement bar part (top sticker). Inside the bumper, the photos I’ve found show an array of part numbers stuck all over the place, so they’re all pertaining to bumper and bumper-related pieces.

According to various parts catalogs online:

991.2 GT3 bumper part no is:
991-505-313-80

Impact/reinforcement bar is:
991-505-121-81

Very close to the numbers of the stickers above. I wonder if Porsche has slightly different inventory numbers based on different suppliers, or if they slightly updated these parts over the course of the lifecycle.

In any case, the bumper in question looks like it’s for a GT3, not the RS.
I agree with this conclusion. Besides, the sticker says GT3 no GT3 RS. Porsche does not always update the trim part numbers in Petka, pdf catalogs or online vendors, so: no surprise I coulndt find those part numbers.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:42 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Thanks a lot guys that’s very helpful.

here is a RS Bumper that may be of interest to you guys if you require new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20373189002...mis&media=COPY

Please PM me if you find a normal GT3 front bumper, prefer used.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:13 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys that’s very helpful.

here is a RS Bumper that may be of interest to you guys if you require new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20373189002...mis&media=COPY

Please PM me if you find a normal GT3 front bumper, prefer used.
Thanks for the info! I would recommend staying away from that seller. A year ago I purchased a radiator holder from him, after payment and requesting delivery through ebay and his whatsapp, practically disappeared. It was not a huge amount of money, but it tells about his character.

I just purchased a GT3 bumber for 3.5k used. Minor repairable damage. Those bumper are in incredible low supply. The RS will be ever harder to get.

If you cannot wait an offer and have the money, I would suggest buying directly from Porsche (Porsche Marin is my preferred choice, lowest prices all around).

Old 04-30-2022, 05:36 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by edsonreds
Thanks for the info! I would recommend staying away from that seller. A year ago I purchased a radiator holder from him, after payment and requesting delivery through ebay and his whatsapp, practically disappeared. It was not a huge amount of money, but it tells about his character.

I just purchased a GT3 bumber for 3.5k used. Minor repairable damage. Those bumper are in incredible low supply. The RS will be ever harder to get.

If you cannot wait an offer and have the money, I would suggest buying directly from Porsche (Porsche Marin is my preferred choice, lowest prices all around).
I think you bought the one I posted about here, I just went to eBay and it’s gone. Let me know if you come across another in that price range. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2022, 09:08 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

I think you bought the one I posted about here, I just went to eBay and it’s gone. Let me know if you come across another in that price range. Thanks!
Silly question but if you need a front bumper you must have a damaged front bumper??? They can be repaired if not too bad, and by that I am referring to a serious hit with some splits and tears. You would be surprised what a repaired front bumper looks like when done properly. I have done this type of repair for a friend and melted stainless steel mesh in from the back to repair splits and even replaced torn off tabs.
Heat gun brings the shape back, hot welding and other voodoo does the rest.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:24 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Silly question but if you need a front bumper you must have a damaged front bumper??? They can be repaired if not too bad, and by that I am referring to a serious hit with some splits and tears. You would be surprised what a repaired front bumper looks like when done properly. I have done this type of repair for a friend and melted stainless steel mesh in from the back to repair splits and even replaced torn off tabs.
Heat gun brings the shape back, hot welding and other voodoo does the rest.
That is very true, utterly bumpers are just ABS plastic. A cosmetic part. In my opinion those bumpers are heavily overpriced. Price is not justified in material used or design… just looks. I may in the future buy a GT3 Cup bumper because I track the car and my policy insurance doesnt cover damages on circuits (besides, seems that I am magnet to walls LOL).

An advice to those who track the car: after a crash, recover all the pieces (all, specially ABS)… as Mussl Car says… bodypart guys are magicians recovering teared and crashed plastic.

Last edited by edsonreds; 05-01-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Gt3 vs GT3RS FRONT Bumper question.....