Sponsored by:

Are Dealers Willing To Move On Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
Prices are actualy going up, so I would think, we will see 160 to 180 prices by the end of september. Sports cars, boats, even campers are going up, and motorcycles and bicycles are out of stock. Crazy times.
I don't think a rise in prices is sustainable - it may have been if there weren't pent-up demand ( a phenomenon that causes temporary increase in demand) from the lockdown, a new model coming, and the fact that the overall sports car market was already in decline pre-COVID. But it's quite a fruitless task to try and time the 'bottom' of a sports car's depreciation anyway. You may spend a year waiting for a price to drop 10k - it may never and then you've just wasted a year!
The following users liked this post:
sampelligrino (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 AM
G12R
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I watched listings for several months, waiting for the *perfect* spec to come available at a reasonably market price. This one doesn't have this or that one doesn't have that. There was always a reason. I shifted a bit and said what are the the must-haves vs. nice-to-haves? I ended up at FAL, LWB, extended tank (and Black, White, or GT Silver). Carbon, non-PCCB, satin black wheels, white dials, non-red stitching... sure there were small things that I preferred, but I reasoned that I was letting perfect being the enemy of good and, in this case, good meaning my first GT car that I suspected I was going to love.

A car that met the required criteria showed up CPO at a local dealer with a good price. It didn't have white dials, it had red stitching, and it had red pinstriped wheels. I had been excluding cars with the wheel striping previously. Bottom line, car's in my garage right now, it's amazing, I have different wheels on it even though the red stripe grew on me, I never notice the dials, and the red stitching is fine--I added some P1 seat covers in a black gray and red tartan and leaned forward.

The little things that seemed so critical at the time didn't really matter once I had the car. YMMV, but ultimately defining the true deal breakers on those terms alone helped me get from a place where I was finding reasons not to buy a car to reasons to buy, which is what I actually wanted to do.
DcGweez (09-02-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by G12R
I watched listings for several months, waiting for the *perfect* spec to come available at a reasonably market price. This one doesn't have this or that one doesn't have that. There was always a reason. I shifted a bit and said what are the the must-haves vs. nice-to-haves? I ended up at FAL, LWB, extended tank (and Black, White, or GT Silver). Carbon, non-PCCB, satin black wheels, white dials, non-red stitching... sure there were small things that I preferred, but I reasoned that I was letting perfect being the enemy of good and, in this case, good meaning my first GT car that I suspected I was going to love.

A car that met the required criteria showed up CPO at a local dealer with a good price. It didn't have white dials, it had red stitching, and it had red pinstriped wheels. I had been excluding cars with the wheel striping previously. Bottom line, car's in my garage right now, it's amazing, I have different wheels on it even though the red stripe grew on me, I never notice the dials, and the red stitching is fine--I added some P1 seat covers in a black gray and red tartan and leaned forward.

The little things that seemed so critical at the time didn't really matter once I had the car. YMMV, but ultimately defining the true deal breakers on those terms alone helped me get from a place where I was finding reasons not to buy a car to reasons to buy, which is what I actually wanted to do.
+100.. Its always funny when u see people list 15 criteria and they all have to be there. They are finding a reason NOT to buy. They are NOT seriously looking to buy - rather they are looking for reasons NOT to buy. how many times do you see "I was this close to pulling the trigger, but....... I always chuckle a little. Unless you can spec your own GT3, there is almost zero chance a car with all 15 of your NEEDS will be available for sale - and at $50K off MSRP
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
nycpassat (08-11-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
I like the move. Unfortunately, I’m about 1,000 miles away and Have to talk over the phone to all of them.
That's an issue, as the best deals are done face to face. The dealer never has an idea on who's on the phone. It's quite unlikely you'll get a deal from a dealer, who doesn't know you, on the phone. As has been said, plane fares are cheap now, so pick a destination area that happens to have a car you like. Bargain shamelessly face to face, and if you're unhappy with the deal, you still get a weekend vacation out of it.
AlexCeres (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
I don't think a rise in prices is sustainable - it may have been if there weren't pent-up demand ( a phenomenon that causes temporary increase in demand) from the lockdown, a new model coming, and the fact that the overall sports car market was already in decline pre-COVID. But it's quite a fruitless task to try and time the 'bottom' of a sports car's depreciation anyway. You may spend a year waiting for a price to drop 10k - it may never and then you've just wasted a year!
Agreed that price wil not keep increasing. Everyone keeps on saying new model is coming and will cause prices to tank, however. If the Gt4 is any indicator, prices did not plummet. People have less money to buy new cars due to covid, dealers are calling people with allocations for 718 GT4s and Boxsters at MSRP (which they stil can't sell, unlike the previous 981 gen). The new gt3 design is also polarizing.

Nothing is assured. Production decreases and delays may happen too. Especially with covid.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

look at cayman pricing, the non turbo, and manual cars are at an all time high. 997.1 are stil in the 45 to 55 rangle. crazy high pricing. I dont see gt4's for under 90k sticker was in the 99 to 115 average. so i dont see pricing drop, especially when the new 992 will be 20 to 30k more, when equally equiped.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by G12R

Good to hear this. I am in the same boat right now. My biggest hang up is leather doors and dash. Can you believe that is my big hang up on some really good GT3’s out there right now, for a car I plan to mostly track? Analysis paralysis. I’m sure if just get into the car to test drive, the engine will sell me.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 PM
gt3dude
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

I genuinely don’t think the new model is going to change pricing that much. New car will be more expensive, adm on top of that as well. Seems like a nice optioned gt3 for a regular joe will be near 190k+ plus adm plus tax. You’re talking 220k+ for sure.

i recently got a fantastic deal on a 2018 gt3 and I’m extremely happy with it!!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Good to hear this. I am in the same boat right now. My biggest hang up is leather doors and dash. Can you believe that is my big hang up on some really good GT3’s out there right now, for a car I plan to mostly track? Analysis paralysis. I’m sure if just get into the car to test drive, the engine will sell me.
OMG if that engine were in my lawn mower I’d never get off of it....if it were in my daughters pink Barbie mustang I’d happily
drive it to and from work daily (but would add the neoprene rubber sleeves over the plastic tires that the guys who race them use...)...you just can’t get the sound and feel of the thing out of your person...the videos give you the sound but not the mechanical ness of it sitting right behind you...I’ve never tried crack but this might be pretty darn close to it I imagine...

rather than checking options for must haves maybe think of what can you definitely NOT tolerate on the car or inside with you and once you start driving you won’t care...for me red dials for instance, just couldn’t deal...

Last edited by rhk118; 08-11-2020 at 08:49 PM.
G12R (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

leather doors and dash? That’s what’s holding you up? Pull the trigger already. Probably two of the most useless items on a GT3. You are missing out on a great driving car.
RockyTopTenn (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:47 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

OP, I can relate to you wanting it to be perfect. As others have pointed out, it will be tough when you stack a lot of musts on top of one another especially since there are so many ways to configure these cars and not that many of them available.

Leather interior is nice because the rubber dash does seem cheap for a 6 figure car. Even one that will see significant track time. I had the rubber dash in a CPO C4S cab that I bought. I would have added leather, particularly for a non-GT car, but I didn't build the car. And the truth is that the rubber dash didn't steal any of the enjoyment I had with that car, but that was just my experience.

All that said, if having the perfect spec is worth the risk of never finding exactly what you want at your price and remaining on the sideline, only you can decide that.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Show them the "color of your money."

The best deal I ever got was when I wrote a check - for an aggressive, but fair amount, including taxes, title, etc... - and set it on the sales manager's desk saying basically "This is the only check I brought, cash it or tear it up, your choice..."
Your bank doesn't have a telephone? No wiring instructions?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Your bank doesn't have a telephone? No wiring instructions?
Not at 7:45PM...
Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Not at 7:45PM...
Nor would they be able to cash a check at that time of day (or night).
Old 08-12-2020, 12:32 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Nor would they be able to cash a check at that time of day (or night).
Well somehow they decided it was cashable enough to trade it for the keys and a temporary tag... Your mileage, of course, may vary...
pbsis (08-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Are Dealers Willing To Move On Prices?