Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Dealers Willing To Move On Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Years ago my buddy wrote a check for a Ferrari when they had the dealership at the Wynn in Vegas. He was drunk off his azz on a Friday night. They took the check and he drove the car home the next morning back to Utah.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 AM
G12R
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
Good to hear this. I am in the same boat right now. My biggest hang up is leather doors and dash. Can you believe that is my big hang up on some really good GT3’s out there right now, for a car I plan to mostly track? Analysis paralysis. I’m sure if just get into the car to test drive, the engine will sell me.
Go drive one I wanted one before I drove it, and then I drove it and I was committed to one. As others have said, leather doors and dash ain't bad, but especially if it's a track car, you won't care. Now the extended range tank or LWBs... those are track deal breakers imo!
Old 08-25-2020, 09:36 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to bring back, but had questions on negotiating. Never spent more than $90k on a car and almost always buy new. Was hoping to get advice on a good starting offer point. Found a car I like, doesnt tick all the boxes, but most of the must haves and I can fix some of them. Low mileage and price is right at sticker and another $4.5k to get it cpo'ed. I was thinking of offering $5k below asking and ask that they throw in the CPO. Too aggressive, not aggressive enough? I will finance with them to throw them that $2.5k profit.

Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Sorry to bring back, but had questions on negotiating. Never spent more than $90k on a car and almost always buy new. Was hoping to get advice on a good starting offer point. Found a car I like, doesnt tick all the boxes, but most of the must haves and I can fix some of them. Low mileage and price is right at sticker and another $4.5k to get it cpo'ed. I was thinking of offering $5k below asking and ask that they throw in the CPO. Too aggressive, not aggressive enough? I will finance with them to throw them that $2.5k profit.
Thanks!!
I would go 10k under, have them pay to CPO it (no way that’s 4500 unless they need to fix something), and say I will finance through you, but have an interest rate in mind by checking your credit union and banks...others on here will say you need to offer even less I know, but 5 under not aggressive enough, even on a Touring if that’s what it is....Dealer I purchased from beat the best rate I could find by 1% in addition to taking more off than I imagined they would when in your shoes (and that’s why the car now sits in my garage, these guys were great and worked with me, but I’m also ok with them making money)....no use for them to accept your 10 under offer then have them hit you with a 4-5% rate...also once the 992s potentially start delivering next year prices on the 991.2s should soften up and selection on pre owned will presumably be better....good luck! Also if a manual have them send you a copy of the DME report to check for overrevs...and run the VIN through VIN analytics site to check its original MSRP if you haven’t seen that yet...

Last edited by rhk118; 08-25-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:04 PM
911AR
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
Years ago my buddy wrote a check for a Ferrari when they had the dealership at the Wynn in Vegas. He was drunk off his azz on a Friday night. They took the check and he drove the car home the next morning back to Utah.
The Wynn Ferrari what a perfectly placed dealer! Many years ago I found nicely spec'd 458 there on a Friday afternoon. I made a deal and wired the funds as I was sitting in there expecting to use it for the weekend in Vegas. I left to gamble for a few hours when I returned they insisted the funds didn't arrive yet and I would have to wait until Monday. My return flight was Sunday so I wasn't too happy about not being able to enjoy the car while in Vegas but I ended up driving it for many enjoyable miles back home. I traded it in for not much less than what I paid so I won in the end.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Originally Posted by rhk118
I would go 10k under, have them pay to CPO it (no way that’s 4500 unless they need to fix something), and say I will finance through you, but have an interest rate in mind by checking your credit union and banks...others on here will say you need to offer even less I know, but 5 under not aggressive enough, even on a Touring if that’s what it is....Dealer I purchased from beat the best rate I could find by 1% in addition to taking more off than I imagined they would when in your shoes (and that’s why the car now sits in my garage, these guys were great and worked with me, but I’m also ok with them making money)....no use for them to accept your 10 under offer then have them hit you with a 4-5% rate...also once the 992s potentially start delivering next year prices on the 991.2s should soften up and selection on pre owned will presumably be better....good luck! Also if a manual have them send you a copy of the DME report to check for overrevs...and run the VIN through VIN analytics site to check its original MSRP if you haven’t seen that yet...
Hey man, thanks for the good tips. Yea, he threw the $4,500 at me and I know its cheaper for them. Was thinking that its an amount on top of the asking price and building it into my negotiated offer. Yep, have my credit union preapprove me for a solid rate and show them. Tell them to match it or I use them. Its not a touring, low mileage manual though. Yea, I was thinking of waiting, but also know that looking around March, there were about 50 used mt on the market and down to 25. Yep, first email was for the dme, clean across the board.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 AM
rhk118
Pro

Hey man, thanks for the good tips. Yea, he threw the $4,500 at me and I know its cheaper for them. Was thinking that its an amount on top of the asking price and building it into my negotiated offer. Yep, have my credit union preapprove me for a solid rate and show them. Tell them to match it or I use them. Its not a touring, low mileage manual though. Yea, I was thinking of waiting, but also know that looking around March, there were about 50 used mt on the market and down to 25. Yep, first email was for the dme, clean across the board.
Ok if not a touring and low miles (as in less than 1000) then 10 under its MSRP would be what I consider a fair price. If its 2000+ miles then 15 under MSRP. Remember also that this isn't the *EXACT* build you would want so no need to pay a premium. Mine happened to be 95% of the build I wanted but checked the big boxes, and in retrospect I'm extremely happy with it and would not have wanted those other things on it (Bose was one, but will be upgrading the tweeters, rest of the sound system is absolutely fine, and radio will stay off anyway...for now I don't care about "resale value" because this is a dead man car to me (for now LOL))....good luck, keep us posted. For sure have them print you a DME Report on the manual - will tell you about over revs and max revs the engine has seen, if low miles its still technically in "break in" period. Also if a 2018 you coming up on the $2000-2500 2 year service and that might be part of the negotiation as well - get the oil, brake fluid, plugs, filters, MTF changed before you take it home...previous owner might have had a service contract on it and if so that transfers with the car.

Last edited by rhk118; 08-26-2020 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mithiral67 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:52 AM
mithiral67
Instructor

Ok if not a touring and low miles (as in less than 1000) then 10 under its MSRP would be what I consider a fair price. If its 2000+ miles then 15 under MSRP. Remember also that this isn't the *EXACT* build you would want so no need to pay a premium. Mine happened to be 95% of the build I wanted but checked the big boxes, and in retrospect I'm extremely happy with it and would not have wanted those other things on it (Bose was one, but will be upgrading the tweeters, rest of the sound system is absolutely fine, and radio will stay off anyway...for now I don't care about "resale value" because this is a dead man car to me (for now LOL))....good luck, keep us posted. For sure have them print you a DME Report on the manual - will tell you about over revs and max revs the engine has seen, if low miles its still technically in "break in" period. Also if a 2018 you coming up on the $2000-2500 2 year service and that might be part of the negotiation as well - get the oil, brake fluid, plugs, filters, MTF changed before you take it home...previous owner might have had a service contract on it and if so that transfers with the car.
Offer made
Old 08-26-2020, 11:04 AM
rhk118
Pro

Offer made
Good luck mate!
Old 08-26-2020, 11:16 AM
mithiral67
Instructor

Good luck mate!
Lols, shoot down immediately. Said they are turning down anything not at asking price. Zero wiggle room. Asking is $2k above sticker and the car has about $12k of options I wouldn't have ticked. Doesnt look like my car. And he is confused on why i want the cpo. Who doesnt want an extra 2 years of warranty??

Last edited by mithiral67; 08-26-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:38 PM
rhk118
Pro

Sorry man, is it in a state that rhymes with mohio? I had a very similar experience in that state...they are willing to sit on it for the right sucker person to come along...
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:46 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Na. Fly over state. It’s less than 1k miles. So they feel they can hold out. I get it. Would love some wiggle room. But as many noted, if it’s $5-$10k difference, think hard on it. I guess I will.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

All depends on if they’re want the deal. I looked a my Speedster that went for sale in January for months, and made a offer that was fair they said no .......they called the next day and said come get now if you want the deal done.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:01 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by Maverick787
All depends on if they’re want the deal. I looked a my Speedster that went for sale in January for months, and made a offer that was fair they said no .......they called the next day and said come get now if you want the deal done.
Yes, hopefully that is the best outcome. I made an aggressive offer on a GT3 at this other dealer about a month ago and had the door slammed right in my face....needless to say it is still sitting there not far off the price I offered and its likely not costing them much to have it sitting there. If the dealer has a good system for tracking interested parties and their respective offers then they will still work those marks down the road...have to say I respect that and to me is a sign of paying attention to detail and that is also a signal that their level of service is above the average "take it or leave it" dealers. The one I eventually found the dealer clearly wanted to sell and they really facilitated everything, no roadblocks, and got me a great interest rate to boot...Completely happy with the Touring, but congrats on the Speedster...would love to take a spin in one of those some day!
Old 08-26-2020, 02:13 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Yes, hopefully that is the best outcome. I made an aggressive offer on a GT3 at this other dealer about a month ago and had the door slammed right in my face....needless to say it is still sitting there not far off the price I offered and its likely not costing them much to have it sitting there. If the dealer has a good system for tracking interested parties and their respective offers then they will still work those marks down the road...have to say I respect that and to me is a sign of paying attention to detail and that is also a signal that their level of service is above the average "take it or leave it" dealers. The one I eventually found the dealer clearly wanted to sell and they really facilitated everything, no roadblocks, and got me a great interest rate to boot...Completely happy with the Touring, but congrats on the Speedster...would love to take a spin in one of those some day!
Good luck, what helps I only buy from 2 dealers and I know them and I trade my cars back to them. It’s always give and take, and repeat business is really the main factor. Porsche dealers aren’t hurting for cash because of the brand, but slamming doors on a customers is just foolish. Speedsters my view only is the best Porsche I’ve driven non track the set up is amazing/gear box.

Quick Reply: Are Dealers Willing To Move On Prices?