Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 PM
itsagoose
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha fair comment, but its my first driving event in the GT3 and I have limited track experience overall. I have some future DE events planned and this will help me learn the behavior of the car before Im on a full fledged track
Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

OpenTrack!

Has anybody gotten their coverage extended due to covid? At no cost.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
OpenTrack!

I am being told "soon"...
Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
OpenTrack!

I was told "soon"...
Old 06-05-2020, 02:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
The GT3 is a competitive autox car though, and you will become a better driver of it if you autox it vs tracking it. Not as fun to autox as a Boxster Spyder but faster
You'll become an even better drive in the GT3 practicing on a skidpad. Did this at Thermal with my GT3 at the BMW Experience Center there. Fantastic for learning the dynamics of the car.

The problem with AiutoX -- for any car, not just a HP car like the GT3 -- is that you're going to run through rubber and burn up brakes for very little gain in terms of gaining insight to the driving mechanics of the car versus a skidpad, plus you have to stand around and wait for like 1 hour (or more) for each session. Waste of time, rubber and pads.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a 996 911, unlimited tire budget, an empty stadium parking lot with a bunch of bored high school kids willing to work the cones, I'd be AutoX-ing every day.
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (06-19-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 03:24 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You'll become an even better drive in the GT3 practicing on a skidpad. Did this at Thermal with my GT3 at the BMW Experience Center there. Fantastic for learning the dynamics of the car.

The problem with AiutoX -- for any car, not just a HP car like the GT3 -- is that you're going to run through rubber and burn up brakes for very little gain in terms of gaining insight to the driving mechanics of the car versus a skidpad, plus you have to stand around and wait for like 1 hour (or more) for each session. Waste of time, rubber and pads.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a 996 911, unlimited tire budget, an empty stadium parking lot with a bunch of bored high school kids willing to work the cones, I'd be AutoX-ing every day.
Couldn't be more wrong regarding the learning of driving mechanics of a car in autocross. You are constantly at max lateral Gs in a short window, so yes there is stress on the tires, but you can get an entire season out of any non-R compound and still daily the car. You work when you don't drive, shoot the **** with your friends... it's a social experience. The track days I went to had 1 hr lapses between heats but maybe private track days are different.

There are skidpad sections in some autox courses. They are the actually most boring parts because you just go in 1 direction. That actually is a waste of time and rubber.

Hilarious you mention budget because autox is one of the most budget-friendly motorsport you can do. But it is exactly the competitive and dynamic element of the sport which i find lacking in most track days.

For the OP, again, if you become good at autox, going to any track day will be a breeze because you'll understand the limits of your car having already seen them at lower speeds.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:38 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Open Track annual policy. Do between 60 and 70 track days/season. $800/day would put me out of business at 60 days/season (almost $50K).
Do you own a Tire factory?? If your season is year round, you're out there more than once a week.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:47 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Couldn't be more wrong regarding the learning of driving mechanics of a car in autocross. You are constantly at max lateral Gs in a short window, so yes there is stress on the tires, but you can get an entire season out of any non-R compound and still daily the car. You work when you don't drive, shoot the **** with your friends... it's a social experience. The track days I went to had 1 hr lapses between heats but maybe private track days are different.
There are skidpad sections in some autox courses. They are the actually most boring parts because you just go in 1 direction. That actually is a waste of time and rubber.
Hilarious you mention budget because autox is one of the most budget-friendly motorsport you can do. But it is exactly the competitive and dynamic element of the sport which i find lacking in most track days.
For the OP, again, if you become good at autox, going to any track day will be a breeze because you'll understand the limits of your car having already seen them at lower speeds.
Yeah, only if you're a super newbie, like never ever tried to do donuts in a snowy parking lot as a kid....
You just need seat time until you are very comfortable on track, knowing the track, knowing traffic, feel comfortable late braking etc....you don't get any of that with AX. Then it's a lot of practice and really breaking down the track you are driving to maximize your speed in the corners, every corner is different, than put it all together and win your HPDE.

AX is great but a day of it is all you really need....unless you don't have knack for this type of hobby/sport. AX is great for inexpensive competition. However, AX's don't breeze through track driving on the first day. HPDE, you don't get the competition aspect.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:49 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Yeah, only if you're a super newbie, like never ever tried to do donuts in a snowy parking lot as a kid....
You just need seat time until you are very comfortable on track, knowing the track, knowing traffic, feel comfortable late braking etc....you don't get any of that with AX. Then it's a lot of practice and really breaking down the track you are driving to maximize your speed in the corners, every corner is different, than put it all together and win your HPDE.

AX is great but a day of it is all you really need....unless you don't have knack for this type of hobby/sport. AX is great for inexpensive competition. However, AX's don't breeze through track driving on the first day. HPDE, you don't get the competition aspect.
How many championships have you won on the track and in autox with 1 day of experience? Troll
Old 06-05-2020, 11:15 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
put it all together and win your HPDE.
Wow.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:15 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Track insurance is just like all forms of insurance, a complete waste of money, unless you need it. That being said, I almost always buy track insurance.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:18 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

And I currently have 15k miles and 2 track events on my Pilot 4s and I was lucky to get 8k miles on Cup2s
Old 06-06-2020, 10:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Track insurance is just like all forms of insurance, a complete waste of money, unless you need it. That being said, I almost always buy track insurance.
Yep, if you can afford to absorb the loss (should it happen), better for some to self-insure
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I am being told "soon"...
Next week.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

What's the implication of liability for track insurance? Other than damaging the track, isn't it generally understood/waived that it is an inherently risky activity?

Quick Reply: Track Insurance