Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020 | 06:29 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
..... Porsche people are very hard to deal with.
You email them and they come back with their asking price as their price. They do not go down even $1000. You e-mail mclaren people or other exotic dealers and they are ready to negotiate (but not as much as this guy).
Porsche buyers are very hard to deal with. They ignore the market, buy based on price alone and always grind.
Old 05-19-2020 | 06:37 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Porsche buyers are very hard to deal with. They ignore the market, buy based on price alone and always grind.
I am not ignoring the market. There are cars that have been sitting for 60-90 days with the same list price. To me, that's an indication of them/sales people not knowing how to read the market.

My local Porsche dealers here got stuck with multiple (by multiple, I mean 2-3 GT2RS, 2-3 GT3RS, so many GT3s that they had to park all of them outside under snow, hail, bird poop, you name it) GT cars for months, I mean 12-15 months. And every single one of those cars tanked in value. People offered them sticker when they wanted markup. they didnt budge. In the end, they couldnt sell them for sticker. I found a few of those cars being sold by their other dealers in Audi or Mercedes around 30-40k less than their original sale price (and even then they couldnt sell them).

so no, its not the buyers. At least in my case.

I am offering them 12-15% under MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
fijibubba (05-19-2020), MK95 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:16 PM
Doosha
Track Day

I am not ignoring the market. There are cars that have been sitting for 60-90 days with the same list price. To me, that's an indication of them/sales people not knowing how to read the market.

My local Porsche dealers here got stuck with multiple (by multiple, I mean 2-3 GT2RS, 2-3 GT3RS, so many GT3s that they had to park all of them outside under snow, hail, bird poop, you name it) GT cars for months, I mean 12-15 months. And every single one of those cars tanked in value. People offered them sticker when they wanted markup. they didnt budge. In the end, they couldnt sell them for sticker. I found a few of those cars being sold by their other dealers in Audi or Mercedes around 30-40k less than their original sale price (and even then they couldnt sell them).

so no, its not the buyers. At least in my case.

I am offering them 12-15% under MSRP.
Agree. Many dealers especially Porsche Dealers are still hoping to sell these GT3RS at the pre-pandemic price even though they have the car listed for half-year. I'm no economic expert but I truly believe something must be wrong here. Maybe they're just waiting for their "green knight."
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:41 PM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

I am not shutting anyone down. I am sorry if I gave you that impression. I, as a person, do not like abstract statements that are too high up in the air. I like to stick to the facts and detail. So far all feedback given (with the exception of one person who gave great detail about his experience about the keyfob not working etc) have been very abstract. Everyone has been badmouthing them for buying cars from auction but when I ask what might be wrong, there is no good answer. One answer was people get in/out of the car many times between auctions. Thats true but that might be true for a brand new car that got stuck at the port and required software update as well. You cannot make these generalizations. Other feedback included saying things like "they are called Chicago Motor Car for a reason" or "look at this lawsuit from 2013" (which is the only documented negative thing about them). Their google and other website ratings are 90-99% 5 stars. I read every single one of them, they appear legitimate. I have not seen a single negative review on high end expensive cars. All negative reviews have been about older cars with miles. Maybe they treat each car/customer differently?

You are saying you have been "jacked around". What does that mean? Does that mean you called them and they ignored you? Or you sent the money and car never showed? You see my point? This could be several different things going wrong, completely benign to very serious.
"Jacked around" -> I negotiated a price for a car they had for sale via phone. I drove to their site taking an afternoon to get there only to be told, by the owner, in front of the sales person, they would never sell the car for that. I value my time and they didn't stand up on a verbally negotiated deal. So no, I didn't lose money, I didn't want to deal with them after the way they treated me and it was clear that they didn't put value on the words they used. What happened is a fact. My feelings about what happened is an opinion.

Good luck, it seems like you want the car, hope it works out for you
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:42 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

As an aside- why do dealers reject reasonable offers and then auction them for less? For example last summer I offered $56K (cash- no trade) for a nardo gray 2018 Audi TTRS at Audi Marin- they were asking $59K. They never lowered their asking price, never called me back, and then 2 months later it was sold at auction to a Chicago Motor Cars-like dealer in CA for << $56K as the new asking price was, you guessed it, $56K. Doesnt make sense 😡
Old 05-19-2020 | 07:50 PM
Doosha
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fang911
As an aside- why do dealers reject reasonable offers and then auction them for less? For example last summer I offered $56K (cash- no trade) for a nardo gray 2018 Audi TTRS at Audi Marin- they were asking $59K. They never lowered their asking price, never called me back, and then 2 months later it was sold at auction to a Chicago Motor Cars-like dealer in CA for << $56K as the new asking price was, you guessed it, $56K. Doesnt make sense 😡
I have the same experience. I was told by a manager that my offer on his RS was too low to be accepted. Then, he told me he will put the car to the auction and it will become much more expensive if he cannot sell it. Did I miss something here? I mean sometimes certain dealers are just too "difficult" to work with.
Old 05-19-2020 | 08:41 PM
richk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fang911
Auction per-se isnt automatically a bad thing...it just seems weird that on a well equipped hi-demand car (precovid 12/19) in an affluent neighborhood (porsche west broward)- that Porsche West Broward tries to sell as a CPO but then sends it to auction. Again doesnt necessarily mean something is wrong but does raise the question (for me at least)-
I would agree with that. I would be careful with this one.
Old 05-19-2020 | 08:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

CMC - RED FLAGS RED FLAGS RED FLAGS RED FLAGS = can do better elsewhere....
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:15 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
CMC - RED FLAGS RED FLAGS RED FLAGS RED FLAGS = can do better elsewhere....
Example?
Old 05-20-2020 | 07:31 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Example?
reread the thread and there have been other forums with same feedback...that simple
Old 05-20-2020 | 07:36 AM
FLGT
Pro

Example?
Dude - I hate to say you are way over thinking it. Most smart people will not elaborate dealer issues on a public forum.
If I posted some question like you did, amd I saw pages of beware posts, i would look elsewhere. Period. Asking people to elaborate their issues in detail in public seems odd to me. All is Unless the said dealer had something so rare, iit couldnt be found elsewhere, which is clearly not the case here. You can buy a 991 GT3rs from a gazillion places.
The following users liked this post:
RUF RS (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020 | 08:02 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Example?
this thread....that simple..
Old 05-20-2020 | 12:47 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

I think that RL'ers have provided an incredible amount of GREAT info, shown amazing patience.....and the OP just seems to want to keep chasing it around and ignoring great advice.
Old 05-20-2020 | 01:11 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RUF RS
I think that RL'ers have provided an incredible amount of GREAT info, shown amazing patience.....and the OP just seems to want to keep chasing it around and ignoring great advice.
I am really confused as to how you got to this conclusion. I thanked everyone multiple times (and I mean several times).

I am not chasing anything around. I am looking at multiple cars not just this one.

The reality of the situation is, Porsche dealers are the reason why I am considering this place. They are very hard to work with. some of them do not reply to emails for several hours or a day. Some of them do not come down even a dollar on their asking price, and this includes 991.1 RS cars with 5000-9000 miles, without CPO. They are very arrogant and I am not going to go bending over backwards just because they are a dealer. Only a handful of dealers have been communicating and trying to work with me.

As for CMC, I dont care about them nor I am defending them. I asked for advice and I asked for factual objective advice which was shared and I am grateful.

There is a fellow member here who has agreed to stop by and take a look at the car. I am grateful to him.
Old 05-20-2020 | 01:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

3-Pedals, who do you have set-up for the PPI if the Rennfax (Jimmy-D) checks out?

Quick Reply: Any experience with Chicago Motor Cars?