Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing a Totaled 911R

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 04:11 PM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

He will make more on YouTube ads. A r just sold for 250 on rennlist.. not an r title.. 250-300 gets you a r why would anyone pay anything close to 20% of full value for a r to title.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:14 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm glad that car got saved. It's a 911R always.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasPorschelover:
Bruce R (05-18-2020), prl (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This video brings up a few questions.

1) He shows an area on the lower rocker at the bottom of the a pillar and says “this is what totaled the car”. However he does not actually show the repair of that area. It clearly was spot painted later in the video.

Cut it out and weld back a replacement section from a junk yard 991? Maybe that's why they didn't show it??

Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like an easy & clean repair to do. That bend is barely a reason to salvage the car. I still don't understand the prejudice about crashed cars, as long as everything is well documented and transparent as well as well fixed, they are just like the rest.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:56 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

It would be interesting to see frame measurements as well as dynamic range on alignment adjustments when all said and done.
ClassJ (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:45 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Looks like an easy & clean repair to do. That bend is barely a reason to salvage the car. I still don't understand the prejudice about crashed cars, as long as everything is well documented and transparent as well as well fixed, they are just like the rest.
Easy, the car will never be perfect, no matter how good the repair, Some of the body gaps and panel alignments will always be off. I track crashed my 993, and repaired it. The repair looked great but I knew where to look to see something was not 100%. Car drove fine and had no issue with wheel alignment,

Old 05-18-2020, 09:34 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Easy, the car will never be perfect, no matter how good the repair, Some of the body gaps and panel alignments will always be off. I track crashed my 993, and repaired it. The repair looked great but I knew where to look to see something was not 100%. Car drove fine and had no issue with wheel alignment,
All depends on the person fixing the car. Panel gaps, etc can be made better than factory. This car should have went on a frame jig and got measured though and got an alignment.

No one complains when a rare pebble beach Ferrari or Porsche is brought back from the grave where they had to fabricate entire panels, sections, etc. Time has a way of fixing these things.

It is good they saved this car. I just am not sure it was done with the correct mind set.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
All depends on the person fixing the car. Panel gaps, etc can be made better than factory. This car should have went on a frame jig and got measured though and got an alignment.

No one complains when a rare pebble beach Ferrari or Porsche is brought back from the grave where they had to fabricate entire panels, sections, etc. Time has a way of fixing these things.

It is good they saved this car. I just am not sure it was done with the correct mind set.
Exactly this. These guys are doing with profit in mind, so they cut a bunch of corners, they could had gone a couple of extra steps to make sure everything was up to spec. But then again, total transparency and record will allow any potential client to be the judge of the repair and negotiate acordingly.
But this goes for anything really, some really shoddy official dealer mechanics that leave the cars worse than when they got in, that don't even care about wheel torque specs, or forget to tighten braces, or just do plain fraud (charging for a service that was not made, not even oil prior to a track day), trust and real records as well as how the car is, are really what matters the most.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:01 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Exactly this. These guys are doing with profit in mind, so they cut a bunch of corners, they could had gone a couple of extra steps to make sure everything was up to spec. But then again, total transparency and record will allow any potential client to be the judge of the repair and negotiate acordingly.
But this goes for anything really, some really shoddy official dealer mechanics that leave the cars worse than when they got in, that don't even care about wheel torque specs, or forget to tighten braces, or just do plain fraud (charging for a service that was not made, not even oil prior to a track day), trust and real records as well as how the car is, are really what matters the most.
Yes. This applies to everything. There are shops that will make sure the car is correct down to the paint marks, clips, fasteners and details.

Then you have cases like when my wife's E90 went in for a warranty repair under the hood and the dealer broke every clip in their way, left the engine cover unfastened, scratched every piece of plastic under the hood, etc.

For this repair, the use of good used parts does not even bother me that much. BUT not using a CF fender if appropriate sucks and there had to be more to this total loss story damage wise.

I am still on the fence whether I agree with not painting the hood and blending the surviving front fender. I have done similar work both ways.

Sometimes you end up lucky and the match is close enough. I know it would have meant more tear down, new decals, etc. On a car like this though, I think I would have shot the hood and blended at least the fender.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:42 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by prl
He will make more on YouTube ads. A r just sold for 250 on rennlist.. not an r title.. 250-300 gets you a r why would anyone pay anything close to 20% of full value for a r to title.
My thought as well. The money return is in the internet buzz/chatter and ads. The car is just a vehicle for generating YouTube revenue.
edsonreds (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 613 Posts

The cost of a CF fender alone might have been the over/under on motivation to fix or not fix this 911R. I for one am glad it was fixed, and like it as a 911R one could really use without guilt or hesitation (I think all 911Rs should be, but am not foolish enough to believe they will be). A scratch or chip down the road (or occasional track day) is meaningless, and maybe even a new motivation to go ahead and, at 100,000~ miles, add the correct RF fender found after years of keeping an eye peeled.

There's a 911R in San Francisco that has a curb-rashed RR wheel. I abhor curb rash, but it was kinda cool on a 911R. It said: I'm driven.

Hell, a complete repaint or even a color change won't hurt this car's value at this point. So long as the tub and mechanicals are fine (and the dash isn't squeaky…), not sure I see a lot of downside as long as you go in recognizing what the car isn't and never will be. And at least you know what happened to it/how it was repaired. More than one can say for many used cars. Question is what the car will go for, which should be substantially less than what one with a clean title is worth...

Last edited by stout; 05-18-2020 at 12:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stout:
Chris88 (05-18-2020), DuckieRS (05-18-2020), MacFever (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:30 PM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I am looking for a 991 R with some issues (regarding value) to put a pdk in so this one would fit me
My goal is to drive it on the road and never sell it
Mean while I daily my .2 GT3, not so bad :-)
Old 05-18-2020, 01:25 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey that dude on the video is super talanted. He is not afraid of a challange and enjoys his work. My hero
The following 2 users liked this post by autosea:
Bruce R (05-18-2020), cox1974 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
The cost of a CF fender alone might have been the over/under on motivation to fix or not fix this 911R. I for one am glad it was fixed, and like it as a 911R one could really use without guilt or hesitation (I think all 911Rs should be, but am not foolish enough to believe they will be). A scratch or chip down the road (or occasional track day) is meaningless, and maybe even a new motivation to go ahead and, at 100,000~ miles, add the correct RF fender found after years of keeping an eye peeled.

There's a 911R in San Francisco that has a curb-rashed RR wheel. I abhor curb rash, but it was kinda cool on a 911R. It said: I'm driven.

Hell, a complete repaint or even a color change won't hurt this car's value at this point. So long as the tub and mechanicals are fine (and the dash isn't squeaky…), not sure I see a lot of downside as long as you go in recognizing what the car isn't and never will be. And at least you know what happened to it/how it was repaired. More than one can say for many used cars. Question is what the car will go for, which should be substantially less than what one with a clean title is worth...
Perfect summary Pete.
A guilt free daily driver.
And yes looking out for a CF fender when reasonable is best, or selling your one good CF fender for a tidy sum might be an option?
I'd throw on some BBS wheels and cat back exhaust and call it a day.

Yet assuming a $200k price I'm not sure I would be a buyer when a no story Touring can had for $20k (or more) less.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2020, 03:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
And yes looking out for a CF fender when reasonable is best, or selling your one good CF fender for a tidy sum might be an option?
^ Interesting idea on selling other CF fender; kind of like ordering PCCB on purpose and selling new take-off PCCB rotors for iron rotors. Terrible idea for a collector, but interesting arbitrage for a driver. Would any of us really be able to tell the difference in handling between a 911R with CF and the standard front fenders? Not sure I would be able to...

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Yet assuming a $200k price I'm not sure I would be a buyer when a no story Touring can had for $20k (or more) less.
Precisely. There's a market-clearing price for this 911R, assuming someone doesn't get taken or buy into this car wrong (in terms of reasons and price). I hope it goes to someone who will drive it hard and often. My 914 has been damaged about as badly as this (backed into lightly in 1992 and rear-ended lightly in 1995...who knows what happened to it before that), and still looks/drives better in 2020 with 258,000+ miles than it did in the 1990s with 125,000~ miles. That car in my avatar? It's been wrecked, repainted, restored, and hammered some more by multiple drivers around the world and…it's still the most desirable 911 road car in my book. Just wildly good to drive, look at, and treasure for all its stories. I wouldn't think twice if the chance ever came up.

Cars can be fixed. They may not be the same, but that much is understood. They start changing the moment they leave the dealership, or the factory for that matter. And they can become better or more desirable—unless originality is the alter. And that can be a rough alter.

Last edited by stout; 05-18-2020 at 04:38 PM.
WernerE (05-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Fixing a Totaled 911R