Sponsored by:

Fixing a Totaled 911R

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 05:28 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by swagon
Well, of course it's gonna look bad on carfax etc., but why would it not be worthy if the repairs were done well. Whoever buys that car would be an idiot for not driving the crap out of it.

There's a guy in the UK who's bought a crashed CGT, rebuilt it and put 60 odd thousand miles on it.
There is no close comparison to a CGT, so there will always be some good value in that car. And by the way, that's the right way to do it - to drive the heck out of it!

However, a Touring or a GT3 are darn close to a 911R (at least in my opinion). I would much rather be the first and only owner of a GT3 or a Touring, and know every single little thing about it, than a car with a salvage title. This is coming from experience of owning cars that have been through accidents (and not disclosed prior to purchase). There is always something off on those cars, sort of like ghosts which show up in weird rattles or hard to fix glitches.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Wonder what a CF fender for 911R costs?

I had a 991.2 Mexico blue GT3 that had that sort of damage. I think it was 60-70k to fix it, at the Porsche certified shop. My hood had to be replaced (as well as fender and bumper), but my A pillar was intact. My car was not totaled, which was a bummer. The steel GT3 fender was not expensive, and neither was the hood. I didn't have to have my dash replaced either. Just the airbags.

According to Porsche, it's really difficult to set up the suspension correctly on those cars when you replace the front end parts. After my wreck, they were telling me about the platform they used to do it.

Last edited by RDM2418; 05-14-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Is it wrong that I just spent an hour watching all of the videos in a row? Found it weirdly compelling...
The following 3 users liked this post by Vise:
catdog2 (05-16-2020), DucatiSPS (05-16-2020), SantaFePorsche (05-19-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:58 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Wondering if the CGT that got crashed in NYC will be rebuilt?
Old 05-15-2020, 03:17 AM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Cool project and kudos for the rebuild but no way I’d pay $168 for the wreck hoping to make money out of it.

As a buyer I wouldn’t get near this car.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that even with full accident disclosure (which will be done since everything is on youtube) this R will easily fetch $225K
Maybe even $250K
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Had my indi Porsche guy see the video who restores Porsche classics, said easily 50k in parts/labor. Said proper repair would never use bondo, and he would’ve have replaced the quarter panel. Said max fir that car would be 160k based on what he’s seen in the videos. He buys and sales Porsche’s all over the world/races them, biggest issues he said is the alignment which may never be right.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,391 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Had my indi Porsche guy see the video who restores Porsche classics, said easily 50k in parts/labor. Said proper repair would never use bondo, and he would’ve have replaced the quarter panel. Said max fir that car would be 160k based on what he’s seen in the videos. He buys and sales Porsche’s all over the world/races them, biggest issues he said is the alignment which may never be right.
I call BS on a proper repair never using bondo. Replacing the quarter panel is totally unnecessary and doing so increases the probability of other issues. Having a quarter panel welded onto the car vs .25 mil of bondo over a 6" spot. Its not like he globbed it on. I see no issues whatsoever with his quarter panel repair on a modernish non-historically significant car.

As for alignment, I'm seeing nothing to indicate that the suspension hard points were damaged. in fact, with the exception of the wrinkling by the door sill, there doesn't appear to be any tub damage.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 01:51 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I call BS on a proper repair never using bondo. Replacing the quarter panel is totally unnecessary and doing so increases the probability of other issues. Having a quarter panel welded onto the car vs .25 mil of bondo over a 6" spot. Its not like he globbed it on. I see no issues whatsoever with his quarter panel repair on a modernish non-historically significant car.

As for alignment, I'm seeing nothing to indicate that the suspension hard points were damaged. in fact, with the exception of the wrinkling by the door sill, there doesn't appear to be any tub damage.
I’m not a repairman. Call Porsche and ask how would they do the repair. My buddy restores Porsche’s, and sells to guys all over the world/racer I trust his opinion/he buys for collectors. He would never bondo a collector’s cat which this is. It’s a reason the car was totaled I believe. Not trying to BS anyone.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I’m not a repairman. Call Porsche and ask how would they do the repair. My buddy restores Porsche’s, and sells to guys all over the world/racer I trust his opinion/he buys for collectors. He would never bondo a collector’s cat which this is. It’s a reason the car was totaled I believe. Not trying to BS anyone.
I'm not suggesting that you are BS'ing, but rather that your mechanic is acting as if his collar is a bit too tight. Let me put it this way, if anyone was going to buy a salvage car, a few thousandths of body filler on a fender is not going to be a deal breaker. And heck there are plenty of high dollar non salvage cars running around with body filler on them. If done properly, which this generally appears to be, this is a non issue.
Bill_76 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:19 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 309 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MacFever
I think that even with full accident disclosure (which will be done since everything is on youtube) this R will easily fetch $225K
Maybe even $250K
He'll be lucky to get $200k IMO - maybe $215k. That front fender is metal and am curious if that would be required disclosure to the buyer? The man has skills, regardless (and seems like a good bloke).

Last edited by WernerE; 05-15-2020 at 06:46 PM.
catdog2 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

This video brings up a few questions.

1) He shows an area on the lower rocker at the bottom of the a pillar and says “this is what totaled the car”. However he does not actually show the repair of that area. It clearly was spot painted later in the video.

2) Something, somewhere other than the quarter panel or Fender totaled this car. My 981S had similar damage. Rear quarter was fine but the door needed repair. The front suspension and fender were wiped to the firewall. Windshield and airbags needed replacement. Etc. That just made total loss threshold and it was not a 991R

There are other factors here or the insurance company would have just fixed this and moved on. Insurance companies seem to be afraid to get into repairs on these cars. I think it ends up financially better for them to write the check to the owner (that is usually not quite full value) and get good cash for the salvage since cars like this are usually truly repairable.

The repair on these cars, using Porsche certified methods, with all new parts and body shop full market rates, plus the diminished value claim, probably is a bigger nut than the total loss check minus the salvage.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:15 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Car isn’t worth MSRP, but could have some personal value to someone not sure why ......when non salvaged sold for 250k
Old 05-16-2020, 09:40 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm not suggesting that you are BS'ing, but rather that your mechanic is acting as if his collar is a bit too tight. Let me put it this way, if anyone was going to buy a salvage car, a few thousandths of body filler on a fender is not going to be a deal breaker. And heck there are plenty of high dollar non salvage cars running around with body filler on them. If done properly, which this generally appears to be, this is a non issue.
Filler is a part of any restoration process. This guy did that part right. Whether you use a little glaze or shoot a few coats of primer filler and block it down it’s the same deal. This is how super high end restorations are straight and clean.

Pulling the quarter of this car would have absolutely caused a more “non original” repair than what was done here. And, there would still be filler if some sort in the process.

If this guy slathered on 1/4 of filler than I can see the concern.

However. I want the video on the lower front rocker repair. That is where the damage got interesting.
tpetsch (05-24-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by ClassJ

However. I want the video on the lower front rocker repair. That is where the damage got interesting.
Agreed, that part was highly glossed over.
ClassJ (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Fixing a Totaled 911R