Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akraprovic Slip-On Center Muffler Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 08:11 PM
Wangracing
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've found the dB limit issues varies. I guess its down to the individual track and what the level is and where the meters are. My old aircooled car used to trip the meter at my local track. But it had a very high pitched note. It required tips that swept away from the meters to pass. I thought I would have a similar experience with the GT3 with side deletes (no valves) and was ready to get some swept center tips, bit it doesn't trigger the meter. Maybe a slightly deeper note despite singing to 9000rpm? I'm sure I read there is a relationship between the pitch of the note and dB level recorded with higher pitch hitting higher dB recording.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:17 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

Soul valved side deletes and Akra race center slip fit fine on 991.2 gt3. No modifications needed. It is loud AF. Amazing pops on WOT no lift up shifts. Slight drone around around 3 to 4k rpm if I recall correctly. I ran that setup for about 2 years. Now just with center bypass. Was just bit too raw and loud with both side delete and center delete.

Last edited by GT325; 07-22-2024 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Indyxc (07-24-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 11:51 PM
911frostys
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GT325
Soul valved side deletes and Akra race center slip fit fine on 991.2 gt3. No modifications needed. It is loud AF. Amazing pops on WOT no lift up shifts. Slight drone around around 3 to 4k rpm if I recall correctly. I ran that setup for about 2 years. Now just with center bypass. Was just bit too raw and loud with both side delete and center delete.

do you have any videos of that setup? This is exactly what I’m looking for.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:23 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks GT325 for the info & pics—much appreciated. I am going to bring the Akra system with me when I meet with the owner of the Soul side deletes, to see if they’ll mate up without issue.

BTW- as mentioned above—any sound clips would be great! Thanks, again.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:42 AM
GT325
Pro

No sound clips or video sorry. The parts will fit just fine unless they have made changes to the parts since initial production.

The only thing I would note is make sure you get some extension tubing for the vacuum lines that slip onto the side bypass valves, The soul side delete valves sit at a different angle from the OEM side muffler valves and if you use the OEM stubby rubber vacuum lines (as they did in my install) they will likely fall off the valves and then the whole thing will drone terribly until you slip the tubing back onto the valve. Don't know if it was placebo effect or not but the car felt like it was much peppier with the side deletes. Just remember is it really REALLY loud. You are essentially running straight pipes from the cat back. It is almost certainly going to be too loud for most people. If you only track your car and/or drive it occasionally you maybe ok with it. If you use your car regularly it will probably be too much. Your SO and neighbors will not be pleased. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2024, 10:17 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Track Day

^^^ great info, once again!

So… you’re stating even driving it very conservatively & low RPM once warmed up, it will still be really loud? I’m talking about grandpa-style driving lol

Thanks so much for your input 👍🏼
Old 07-23-2024, 11:20 AM
GT325
Pro

It is really REALLY loud. The biggest annoyance for me was that there is a component of a drone and unfortunately it occurs right in the RPM zone when you are in 6th gear at highway cruising speeds (70-85mph). Cold starts are vicious and if you live close to your neighbors you may disturb them. It actually sounds great when you are really driving the car, but it is loud. Loud enough that even when you are driving BELOW the speed limit in neighborhoods people will motion for you to slow down. Listen everyone has their own tolerance levels for drone and volume so try it, if it is too loud or you don't like it you can always switch back its just a few hours of labor. My tolerance level is high and it was too much for me.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:45 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Track Day

Yikes… The thing I do not want to put up with is the highway speed drone—that would be a deal killer for me. I was thinking (hoping) it would be reasonable with the valves closed when driving normally, but that’s not the case. I really appreciate your feedback!
Old 07-23-2024, 11:52 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,415 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Yikes… The thing I do not want to put up with is the highway speed drone—that would be a deal killer for me. I was thinking (hoping) it would be reasonable with the valves closed when driving normally, but that’s not the case. I really appreciate your feedback!
We have done a few set ups like this, and in every case, the customer is come back and change the configuration usually, they put back the stock rear muffler and keep the side valved deletes. There is no way I can drive in a car that has this set up. I’m not kidding when I say you can hear the car 3 miles away.

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 07-23-2024, 01:38 PM
911frostys
Instructor

Originally Posted by SupremePower
We have done a few set ups like this, and in every case, the customer is come back and change the configuration usually, they put back the stock rear muffler and keep the side valved deletes. There is no way I can drive in a car that has this set up. I’m not kidding when I say you can hear the car 3 miles away.
Wow that's strong feedback. Seems like the side mufflers are doing most of the work to "muffle" the sound. When switching from the OEM center muffler to the Akra Race Slip On, I did not notice much of a volume difference. I did notice a more refined sound when the valves open but the volume is mostly the same. It definitely seems quieter than its counterparts like the GMG, Sharkwerks etc. Seems like the right way to do it is get the Full Akra Evo setup with the side mufflers.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:21 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 911frostys
Wow that's strong feedback. Seems like the side mufflers are doing most of the work to "muffle" the sound. When switching from the OEM center muffler to the Akra Race Slip On, I did not notice much of a volume difference. I did notice a more refined sound when the valves open but the volume is mostly the same. It definitely seems quieter than its counterparts like the GMG, Sharkwerks etc. Seems like the right way to do it is get the Full Akra Evo setup with the side mufflers.
I have on my 991 GT3 Touring this setup: Soul side muffler delete with valves and Akrapovic Race Slip on. Personally no drone on my car.
It is on the loud side but really not bad when driving below 4K rpm in neighborhood or on highway longer distance. Above 5k, more straight pipe and it is loud. If you want a quieter setup, either get Akrapovic side muffler with center bypass or Soul side bypass with OEM center muffler. I tried to make video of my setup but difficult to capture it well
Old 07-24-2024, 07:23 PM
911frostys
Instructor

Originally Posted by 900fc
I have on my 991 GT3 Touring this setup: Soul side muffler delete with valves and Akrapovic Race Slip on. Personally no drone on my car.
It is on the loud side but really not bad when driving below 4K rpm in neighborhood or on highway longer distance. Above 5k, more straight pipe and it is loud. If you want a quieter setup, either get Akrapovic side muffler with center bypass or Soul side bypass with OEM center muffler. I tried to make video of my setup but difficult to capture it well
Even a cold start with idle would be great on video. Just want to gauge how different the sound is vs just the Akra CMB.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:26 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 900fc

Old 07-24-2024, 07:31 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Old 07-24-2024, 07:35 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911frostys
Even a cold start with idle would be great on video. Just want to gauge how different the sound is vs just the Akra CMB.
Can you send me a PM with your contact info to share video by messenger, WhatsApp or text message?
The following users liked this post:
911frostys (07-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Akraprovic Slip-On Center Muffler Opinions