Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob944s2
I think you meant to say $240k
yes, my bad!
Old 02-24-2021, 11:15 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 389 Posts

First, I believe pricing will drop on these 991 Touring models when you start to see 992 GT3s being ordered and delivered. Secondly, the numbers on the 992 GT3 will change dramatically this time and 75% will be touring models and no wings. We will have a ton of touring models out there a year from now and everyone will get one if they want it at sticker or less.
The following 2 users liked this post by joejenie:
NJ991GT3 (02-24-2021), RockyTopTenn (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991GT3
Interesting reading this thread after what is happening lately with the Touring market. There is one on Autotrader for $240k. Best price I have found is $30k over sticker. In my opinion, the market is crazy right now and it will settle eventually. I was in the same boat a year ago, worrying that the economy was on the verge of collapse, and here we are with record prices being set on cars. I still believe that a big economic correction is coming and at that point prices will come back to reality. Any thoughts on this? Anybody looking to sell at MSRP??
My $.02 - which after inflation is probably worth closer to $.01...

Market economics is always about supply and demand. There are MANY articles and reviews from highly-credible editors (like Car and Driver and Chris Harris) proclaiming the 991.2 GT3 manual and Touring the "GOAT/Greatest of all Time." That doesn't hurt the mystique and resulting demand at all. Then look at the fact that only about 25% of the 991.2 GT3s were spec'd as Tourings. "Why would I give up my free spoiler and alcantara for a leather steering wheel, cordura seats and a small electric spoiler with a Gurney Flap?" = Not much supply.

Those that own the winged cars say "The Touring package was just an option, otherwise it's just another GT3." Those without the wings say "I own a Touring." Believe me, we Touring owners consider it a different model and don't give a crap what the jealous folks who have wings say. In the US, there are about 2200 of the former and 730 of the latter - lower supply. ALL of the 730 Tourings are manuals and perhaps 1/3 of the wings are manuals. This leaves approx 1500 manual GOATS out there - at least for now. And, here's the main point, we are still several months away from taking deliveries of the 992 GT3. Plus the stock market is on air. And interest rates are ~zero. And everyone is still not traveling due to covid - which leaves lots of discretionary income out there in the hands of people who are desperately looking for maskless ways to entertain themselves away from crowds. (Please note that GT3's only have one passenger seat).

There were a little over 300 911Rs sold in the US - and they are AWESOME, special, numbered cars - which inspired the Tourings. And Rs are still trading for 2 - 2.5X MSRP - on the extremely rare occasions when they change hands. Arguably the closest thing Porsche has made to the R in the last two decades is the Touring - but the Touring has an indisputably better engine. With 2.5x as many Tourings out there as Rs, and with them being 2-3 years newer, the market hasn't yet stabilized on Tourings. But that's getting closer by the day - causing the upward trend as owners are deciding to hold them and the listings are tapering off. And obviously they aren't shipping any more Tourings - likely for at least 9-12 more months. And, IMO, Andreas Preuninger stumbled on his response to the 992 Touring question in the GT3 release announcement last week - leaving some serious ambiguity in the minds of many of us as to what they are thinking for the next version and when/if they will "get around" to releasing it.

Add this to the fact that Porsche has done something unprecedented in the latest GT3 release - materially re-engineered the car. This time, the GT cars will have a completely different double-wishbone front suspension from the standard 992's Macpherson struts. This is no longer a "parts bin" car. They spent mega Euros engineering these new pending GT cars. While I'm no means an expert, I believe they are going to need to sell the everloving hell out of the new 992 GT cars in order to capitalize on the latent demand and to recoup their engineering investment. It won't surprise me at all if they sell 15000 of them here over the next 4-5 years - and I predict that over 55% will be Tourings (or whatever they call it) and a large majority of all GT cars will be manuals. (Because everyone right now is looking at resale values of 991s and saying "I wish I bought a Touring or at least a manual").

All this above still hasn't mentioned one key fact. Driving a manual 991.2 GT3, using the no-lift-shift feature, shifting from 2-3 or 3-4 at the 9000 rpm redline and then downshifting under heavy braking using the auto rev-matching throttle blip is one of life's TRULY SUBLIME experiences if you are a real driving enthusiast. I've owned several and driven many cars and supercars and classic cars - from most marques (except notably Bugatti or McLaren) - and I have never had 1/5th as much FUN driving any of them as I have my 991.2 Touring. I probably shift three times as much as is really necessary because the sounds and feels are maniacally fun. If you haven't yet driven one of these, beg, borrow or steal in order to get the chance. But be fully prepared to be disappointed with every other car you drive afterwards...

Do I know where Touring (or manual GT3 winged) values will ultimately settle? Nope. And unfortunately, I've never been great at picking stocks either - which is probably why I don't have a barn full of manual 911/964/997's. But take a look at older sports cars - like Ferrari Maranellos, 599s and 430s or Porsches with tiptronics. The manual cars are worth massive premiums over the autos - due presumably to reliability, maintenance costs, and driver engagement.

If the stock market corrects soon and/or covid breaks and people resume spending discretionary funds on traveling, eating out and other social activities, I believe all sports cars, Florida vacation homes, Rolexes, center console boats and rare bourbon prices will flatten quickly and resume normal value curves. Failing that, I see no reason why these scarce, desirable, limited-volume toys will go down any time soon. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by RockyTopTenn; 02-25-2021 at 01:35 AM.
The following 15 users liked this post by RockyTopTenn:
Agentorange (02-25-2021), amerifrikaner (03-02-2021), cscrogham (02-25-2021), Drifting (02-25-2021), Finlander (02-25-2021), gator99sky (03-05-2021), Holdens (03-01-2021), n2cars (02-25-2021), NJ991GT3 (02-25-2021), Norsk (03-01-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-25-2021), realking (02-25-2021), rhk118 (03-01-2021), rob944s2 (03-01-2021), tstafford (02-25-2021) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:10 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Well said, Rocky.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTopTenn (03-01-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

I agree that there will be a huge uptick in selection of the Touring option this time around, not the least of which is because people see how well it is retaining value. Even if there are two, three, or however many times more Tourings in the 992 generation, I do think the 991.2 Touring will always be sought after, for many of the reasons Rocky named above, as well as others. I do think the recent Touring craze is multi-factorial and is not necessarily a transient aberration. Its limited supply is definitely a factor. The same will most definitely not be the case for the 992 Touring. Further, it has (to my eye, anyway), beautiful, classic Porsche lines on the exterior. We have not seen the 992 Touring (other than mules) yet, but based on what I have seen of the 992 Carrera and the 992 GT3 with a wing, the new Touring is going to look bigger, will be busier in the back, will have a wider rear spoiler and will overall have a more aggressive look (which is not to my preference and perhaps not to other's, either).

Like Rocky and many others, I am just blessed to have one and equally blessed to be able to drive it to work 12 months a year here in La La Land.
NJ991GT3 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:33 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 842 Likes on 441 Posts

supply & demand. Supply wise, winged vs touring is like what, 3:1 in production number which to be honest isn't a ratio that screams scarcity, just minority. But a lot of touring owners get this car with the forever car kind of mindset so on the used market they are not 3:1 more like 10:1 and that's making touring hard to get. Demand wise, it's similarity to 911r, being first of its kind , and that "oh you got a touring so you must be a porsche gt guru being through everything" coolness are very attractive to potential buyers. Maybe next round porsche will start to add back seat in them so there's something more to be said about the touring to make them the hot tix? But for sure on 992 we'll see over corrected numbers of touring model made. That's a given. What it will do to 991 touring market I have no idea.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:05 AM
MonsterMLT
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
This topic has been much debated here. IMO, the bottom line is that those of us who ordered Tourings see them as a different model from the winged cars - not just an option. And from what I can tell, most of us have a different mindset about them as well. We wanted more classic lines and interior, less external attention, and for some of us, it was a chance to get the same basic formula as a 911R at a discount. I would never have purchased a GT3 with a wing and alcantara interior. Period.

The problem with trying to value something is that both parties have to agree on the price for an exchange to occur. My suspicion is that more Touring owners bought the cars to keep longer (or forever) and therefore there are not as many available. If you like the car and can negotiate a price you like, then pull the trigger. If not, keep looking.

And no, my touring is not for sale - even at $50K over sticker. I don't know what the heck I would replace it with...
Agree whole heartedly. Mine is my dream car. As someone said above, if it is your dream car and you can afford it and plan to keep it for a while, you will never regret it. As for insurance, pay for the Gap
Berjar (07-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:34 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
And, IMO, Andreas Preuninger stumbled on his response to the 992 Touring question in the GT3 release announcement last week - leaving some serious ambiguity in the minds of many of us as to what they are thinking for the next version and when/if they will "get around" to releasing it.
I heard that as well. My interpretation of that was he wanted to confirm that the Touring will be available at some point, but didn't want to diminish the current star of the show, which is the 992 winged model. They clearly want to sell a bunch of winged versions right out the gate and don't want people to think a better version (subjective) is yet to come.

So that's how I interpreted his slight hesitation / awkwardness when answering the Touring question.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
My interpretation of that was he wanted to confirm that the Touring will be available at some point, but didn't want to diminish the current star of the show, which is the 992 winged model. They clearly want to sell a bunch of winged versions right out the gate and don't want people to think a better version (subjective) is yet to come.
Great insight and plausible analysis. They are obviously very proud of the new wing and the massive downforce the whole car generates. Probably safe to say the Touring will be quite a bit slower than the winged car around the "ring"...
Old 07-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

White for $230k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294252688495

Quick Reply: Need some advices on Touring value