Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 06:42 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Do all cars that are sold by Canadian dealer when new have KM on speedometer? I’ve seen one with MPH and another with KM - both cars originated in Canada.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by GTZee
Do all cars that are sold by Canadian dealer when new have KM on speedometer? I’ve seen one with MPH and another with KM - both cars originated in Canada.

The ones with MPH or even KM could have been converted. Only way to know for sure is by MSO. Either way, all 997+ have digital clusters which can read both. No need to convert one way or the other unless you want to for your own sake.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:11 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
The ones with MPH or even KM could have been converted. Only way to know for sure is by MSO. Either way, all 997+ have digital clusters which can read both. No need to convert one way or the other unless you want to for your own sake.
is it the entire cluster one would change or the face plate or how does that work and how involved is changing it either way? Does this raise any red flags doing this?
Old 12-12-2023, 07:22 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 612 Posts

is it the entire cluster one would change or the face plate or how does that work and how involved is changing it either way? Does this raise any red flags doing this?
No redflags at all. A competent shop who works on clusters should be able to do it, also VDO would refurbish it as well.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:15 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
No redflags at all. A competent shop who works on clusters should be able to do it, also VDO would refurbish it as well.
If the car had KM/H on the cluster then the cluster is changed to mph, does that mean the information you gauge on the gauge is off when accelerating on the analog gauge? how does it work?
Old 12-13-2023, 09:46 AM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I think on the analog one you have to replace the face plate and the digital one needs to be coded in piwis.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:32 AM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Can anyone take a look at this CarFax for me for a Canadian spec car? Its being offered CPO now by Porsche but the gauge cluster does not show in KM - so it must have been changed at some point right? I spoke with the original dealer in Canada and they do remember the car and it was definitely sold to a client that lived there. Any red flags or issues you can see?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...gExMgUbOrwxVJI
Old 12-13-2023, 01:49 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Lots of information being tossed about here. I've posted about this in other threads so apologies for repeating myself. Not trying to influence you one way or another, your time, money, etc.

Does a Canada car scare people away? Will it hurt resale? What about the speedometer? What about the warranty?

First step - finding the exact car you want! Really this is the most important part. Everything else is navigating around the transaction.

I sold a 991.2RS that was an original Canada car in 3 days (this year). It was a straightforward transaction that I helped facilitate for a close friend. Another RL member purchased the car.
  • The speedometer was in MPH, just like the car you're looking at.
  • The build sheet was retrieved from a Canada dealer - easy as one phone call.
  • Zero issues with the transaction. There was no concession provided because it was originally a Canadian car.
  • The more limited the car is, the broader the range a buyer searches. A car is worth what someone will pay, and the market typically dictates the range. Anyone expecting to get a huge discount on a mint RS because it started in Canada isn't being realistic. You may be able to find a car that is still in Canada for a discounted price, but once the car is in the U.S., and all import elements completed, the car can be sold just like any other car.
Would a buyer choose an original U.S. car vs. CA if all else was equal? Suppose that argument sticks. As you have learned via your searches, it boils down to finding exactly what you want. When you go to sell the car, the same applies. Your car will be listed against all the other UV 991.1RS options. As a point of reference, ask the dealer where you're trying to purchase the car how big the discount will be based on it being a CA car, and call around other dealers and ask what the penalty is for trading the same car. See what you discover.

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
911LeeN (02-10-2024), cosmos (12-15-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:52 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Lots of information being tossed about here. I've posted about this in other threads so apologies for repeating myself. Not trying to influence you one way or another, your time, money, etc.

Does a Canada car scare people away? Will it hurt resale? What about the speedometer? What about the warranty?

First step - finding the exact car you want! Really this is the most important part. Everything else is navigating around the transaction.

I sold a 991.2RS that was an original Canada car in 3 days (this year). It was a straightforward transaction that I helped facilitate for a close friend. Another RL member purchased the car.
  • The speedometer was in MPH, just like the car you're looking at.
  • The build sheet was retrieved from a Canada dealer - easy as one phone call.
  • Zero issues with the transaction. There was no concession provided because it was originally a Canadian car.
  • The more limited the car is, the broader the range a buyer searches. A car is worth what someone will pay, and the market typically dictates the range. Anyone expecting to get a huge discount on a mint RS because it started in Canada isn't being realistic. You may be able to find a car that is still in Canada for a discounted price, but once the car is in the U.S., and all import elements completed, the car can be sold just like any other car.
Would a buyer choose an original U.S. car vs. CA if all else was equal? Suppose that argument sticks. As you have learned via your searches, it boils down to finding exactly what you want. When you go to sell the car, the same applies. Your car will be listed against all the other UV 991.1RS options. As a point of reference, ask the dealer where you're trying to purchase the car how big the discount will be based on it being a CA car, and call around other dealers and ask what the penalty is for trading the same car. See what you discover.

Good luck!
This is a very well thought out response and appreciate it. The fact that the car has 3 year CPO and being sold from Porsche makes me feel a lot better. It is the exact spec I want but the Canadian thing was bothering me a bit. I did get the full build sheet, spoke to the original dealer that sold it, etc. All seems legit and clean but still, I wanted to do as much due diligence as possible before making my decision.
The following users liked this post:
cosmos (12-15-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 02:01 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

You are doing all the right things. It is what I would do as well.

FWIW...there are dealers everywhere, and then there are the dealers who are consistently ranked above the pack. It's been my experience, while I may not like the pricing (ha, ha), dealers like the one where this car is located are one of the best. The cars they bring in typically reflect this as well as their ability to get repeat customers. That means something...at least to me it does.

The CPO is a big deal, especially for a car like an RS. Having the peace of mind is worth it.

This is a very well thought out response and appreciate it. The fact that the car has 3 year CPO and being sold from Porsche makes me feel a lot better. It is the exact spec I want but the Canadian thing was bothering me a bit. I did get the full build sheet, spoke to the original dealer that sold it, etc. All seems legit and clean but still, I wanted to do as much due diligence as possible before making my decision.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:16 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 89 Posts

Once the car is here, and registered and titled in the USA its no longer a Canadian car. Its an American car that started out as a Canadian car. And that is very different from a car that started out as a Canadian car and is still in Canada. The American car, born as a Canadian, is now here.....there is no difference, Its identical (minus the speedo which is an easy swap). The American cars originally "born here" are not superior. Just because you have two identical cars in the USA, one which port of entry was in Canada and one in the USA, does not mean one is worth more. but if it was still in Canada theres a concession the USA buyer will ask for since he has to import it. And that takes time and money and aggravation. So all of that is worth something. But once here, all the same. However..................anyone who buys a car, dealer or private individual, will always try to get the lowest price possible. so if they have the ability to hit the seller with "this was a Canadian car originally, its worth less" in hopes of a discount, they will certainly say that out loud. however, assuming the seller isnt stupid, and since they did the work to bring it in, they will not make any concessions, and eventually a reasonable buyer will come along and pay USA market prices.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tombstone4478:
911LeeN (02-10-2024), cosmos (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 03:14 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tombstone4478
Once the car is here, and registered and titled in the USA it’s no longer a Canadian car. It’san American car that started out as a Canadian car. And that is very different from a car that started out as a Canadian car and is still in Canada. The American car, born as a Canadian, is now here.....there is no difference, Its identical (minus the speedo which is an easy swap). The American cars originally "born here" are not superior. Just because you have two identical cars in the USA, one which port of entry was in Canada and one in the USA, does not mean one is worth more. but if it was still in Canada theres a concession the USA buyer will ask for since he has to import it. And that takes time and money and aggravation. So all of that is worth something. But once here, all the same. However..................anyone who buys a car, dealer or private individual, will always try to get the lowest price possible. so if they have the ability to hit the seller with "this was a Canadian car originally, its worth less" in hopes of a discount, they will certainly say that out loud. however, assuming the seller isnt stupid, and since they did the work to bring it in, they will not make any concessions, and eventually a reasonable buyer will come along and pay USA market prices.
Correct on all counts.
The following 3 users liked this post by 786:
911LeeN (02-10-2024), cosmos (12-15-2023), Tombstone4478 (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 11:04 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

I personally wouldn’t have any issues buying a Canadian car and I have in the past and imported one myself.

All Canadian cars will have KM in the dash like above if they were destined for Canada. Sometimes when importing the border agents are very strict or the agent you use to import will follow the exact procedure which is to require a cluster swap to MPH. It’s stupid in my opinion due to the digital read that can be changed but I’ve seen it before when trying to buy a 991… however not always do they require this… again contingent on the agent which is why some get in still reasoning the KM original cluster.

if a CA car is already in the US and on a US title then there is no difference when you go to purchase and title it. Only the market perception that usually sells for less than a US car..

if you find one you want especially already in the US then I would buy it!
The following users liked this post:
cosmos (12-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?