Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:13 AM
tjg81296
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a 2018 GT3 and found a potential car that was spec'd for Canada (PCL) as I learned from another thread.

Does anyone have any experience buying a car that was originally titled in Canada? Anything to look out for?

I plan to make sure the car has a valid US title prior to purchase but has anyone seen any issues with resale of a car such as this?

Any potential pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks, as always!
Tom

Last edited by tjg81296; 01-19-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I need this post.

But seriously, this thread has potential.. maybe we could repurpose it into a value thread or something?

#dontwastethethreads
The following users liked this post:
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:47 AM
tjg81296
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I need this post.

But seriously, this thread has potential.. maybe we could repurpose it into a value thread or something?

#dontwastethethreads
Sure, I assumed since I passed on the car I shouldn't have RL'er's waste their time. Should I put the title back?

How's this? Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:05 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

From what I've learned and I'm speaking from the MB side. US dealers will buy some cars from Canada because they can get them really cheap. A lot of unknowns, the car's history and other issues (paperwork/licensing). I think the whole thing is sketchy. Unless you are getting a steal (unlikely). I say take a big pass. The USA is a pretty big place and there are many cars to choose from. No reason to mess around with a Canadian car a dealer brought in to try and sell with a story. FWIW - looks like the OP figured this out already and took a pass.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

My .1 3RS was Canadian. Same exact car as U.S. car except speedo is in km per/hr.

Some dealers will definitely shy away from Canadian spec cars. My personal experience and they will be harder to sell here in U.S.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is Canadian spec, bought from Rennlister ChrisF. Car is same as US, other than you get to go a lot faster with the speedo in km.... And if you want to think slow, the digital readout is in mph. No idea why anyone would care once the car is in the US. If in Canada, just need to budget for the import when you're comparing.
Jeahbladejeah (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:19 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Cars are the same, stored for winter 4-6 months/year (less mileage) and are cheaper...
I believe CPO is also honored ine the US (I would double check though)

I'd live in the US, I'd buy a car up here.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:33 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

This car should be eligible for a CPO warranty.
I would take it to a dealer and see if they will CPO it.
If not, I would walk away........
BTW just bought a .2GT3 in Toronto in Dec., the US deals actually look a little better right now....
Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Don't buy a car that has been registered or title in Quebec. Rules and regulations differ from the rest of the country. Things tend to get skipped on Carproof/Carfax reports and you could end up with a salvage/rebuilt/lemon. You also have a higher risk of buying something with the odometer rolled back. Not saying this is 100% the case but the risks are higher.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Don't buy a car that has been registered or title in Quebec. Rules and regulations differ from the rest of the country. Things tend to get skipped on Carproof/Carfax reports and you could end up with a salvage/rebuilt/lemon. You also have a higher risk of buying something with the odometer rolled back. Not saying this is 100% the case but the risks are higher.

Sorry but that statement about Quebec i's a lot of BS or at least a myth. Like anything you can find ways around the rules but most cars are clean. I mean I could just say that don't buy a car from the Southern US as it was likely in a flood. Tons of reports how flooded cars are given clean titles and without a little checking a buyer may never no. Like you should for any car do your homework and get the background. Any GT car worth buying will have repair and maintenance records through their entire life. If they don't then walk for sure.

And the main reason some Canadian cars are cheaper is due to the fact that we can buy them cheaper new once you factor in FX. Just check the Porsche.ca website and price out a GT car and you will see they are cheaper in Canada after FX.
PierreTT (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:35 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

There isn’t really any real intrinsic disadvantage to buying a car that was originally sold in Canada. I’ve imported cars from Canada and there’s nothing sketchy about it.

However, the fact that there are many uninformed people think that cars from Canada are suspicious is enough to cause a hit in resale that needs to be accounted for.

This thread is proof enough with several saying to run away from a Canadian car.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 612 Posts

Let's get the bull**** out of the way and discuss facts.

1) Canadian cars are identical to USA cars (except for KM to Miles dash cluster), and are even California compliant, which everyone knows if you an register it in California, you are good to go anywhere else.
2) They are easy to import. You have to add 2.5% as a duty fee and another $1500 or so for other miscellaneous government fees, plus transport, that's it.
3) Canadian carfax and US carfax share information, so anything you could find on a USA car, you could find on a Candadian car.
4) Warranty is fully transferable, including the new car and the CPO.
5) PCNA does not discourage buying Canadian cars, they will even send you a letter of compliance.
6) Exchange rate and negotiations on price fluctuate like everything else. If you see a Canadian car you like, go get it!

Anyone want to add anything?
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmos:
hernandiaz11 (01-21-2020), itrsteve (01-22-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos

1) Canadian cars are identical to USA cars (except for KM to Miles dash cluster), and are even California compliant, which everyone knows if you an register it in California, you are good to go anywhere else.
2) They are easy to import. You have to add 2.5% as a duty fee and another $1500 or so for other miscellaneous government fees, plus transport, that's it.
3) Canadian carfax and US carfax share information, so anything you could find on a USA car, you could find on a Candadian car.
5) PCNA does not discourage buying Canadian cars, they will even send you a letter of compliance.
6) Exchange rate and negotiations on price fluctuate like everything else. If you see a Canadian car you like, go get it!

Yes - as I stated earlier I'm speaking from MB experience so it might not be 100% applicable to Porsche. Most of these cars are sold at smaller local yokel car lots. They buy them at Canadian auctions for cheaper because they can make more money on them versus at a typical auction in the US. I doubt you'll see Porsche dealers buying/reselling Canadian Porsche's they bought at auctions. Not going to happen. Most likely the OP ran into a car that was at a "smaller" type of car lot. With that said, I would have no problem buying a used Canadian Porsche from an authorized dealer here in the US. May have been something they took in on trade. I would definitely stay away from a smaller car lot or maybe even a private party sale. Too many cars to choose from. Your information is accurate. However the general public's perception, right or wrong is biased towards steering away (no pun intended) from a Canadian car. Plus you'll be dealing with in most cases, explaining all of this to the next buyer when you decide to sell. Who will most likely move on and just get a US car.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos

agree with above , however :
1. Canadian cars will be more difficult to sell and will depreciate more, period ! Not worth the headache in most cases imo
Old 01-20-2020, 01:24 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
agree with above , however :
1. Canadian cars will be more difficult to sell and will depreciate more, period ! Not worth the headache in most cases imo
A US car will depreciate more up here and be a more suspicious for the same reasons.
Dumb but true...
Sometimes its worth the headache, for the specs you want.

Been there, done that in the past. Still, Perception = Reality!
tjg81296 (01-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Canadian Spec'd car - Imported to US by a dealer - Any drawback/concern?