Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'19 GT3RS or 600LT for fun and 6-8 Track weekends/yr.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I only have positive things to say about all these cars (track and street driving) A big part of the decision is the cost of buying the car. However, contrary to car forums and the non stop "which car is better", etc., my experience is that people go in and out of cars and none of these cars are holds forever. Just a sample of people that I know who do street/track driving and their car buying history in the last 3 years (none of them are in the car industry, they are just enthusiasts).

Myself: 675 (sold), .1gt3rs (sold), 720, senna (sold), 600 LT

Neighbors: (non track people)
a) aventador sv roadster (sold), 488 (sold), 720s (sold), .1 gt3 (sold), gt2rs, pista
b) scud (sold), 458 spider, .2 gt3
c) 458 spider (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), performante
d) 570 (sold), performante (sold), 720s
e) 570 spider (sold), 570 gt
f) 650 (sold), cali t (sold), 488 (sold), 600 LT
g) aventador (sold), f12 (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), gt2rs, pista

Many more examples of the above

Others whom I track and are friends or acquiantences who I track with:

a) 650s (sold), .1 gt3rs (wrecked), .2 gt3rs (pending sale), 600 LT
b) .1 gt3 (sold), .2 gt3 (sold), 570 (sold), gt2rs (sold), .2 gt3rs
c) .1 gt3rs (sold), 600 LT (sold), gt2rs (incident and no longer around), 720s, .2 gt3rs
d) performante (pending sale), .2gt3rs (sold), 600 LT
e) .1 gt3rs (sold), Many ferrari's bought and sold, 720s (sold), 720 spider, pista
f) 720s, gt2rs
g) .1 gt3 (sold), 570s (sold), .2 gt3rs

The above examples are the typical type of people who own these cars and not what you see people fighting about, spewing fake news on car forums.
------ Many other such people I know who fit the above profiles. None of these cars are hold forever cars.

Thanks a lot for the detailed response!

For me the budget matters a lot. So if I am to look at 600LT I would look at a 1 year old car or a bit older so that most of the financial hit is on the first owner.
GT3RS hold their value pretty well, so there is no need to look at a pre-owned one.

I currently have gt3 991.2 manual and I like it a lot. There is some technical problem with the car and in case it is not resolved, I would have to change it for something else.

I recently test-drove 600LT and was amazed with how much of a racing car feel the 600LT has. The downsides for me are:
- It will very likely attract too much attention on the streets. But at the same time it will attract far less attention than Ferraris and Lambos.
- I am not sure about reliability of Mclarens
- It looks like if using the car a lot putting a lot of milage, it will depreciate like a rock. I have put 25 000 km on my GT3 for 18 months and I would want a new car to use in a similar way.
The following users liked this post:
yesyoucan (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 PM
cadster
Instructor

Received 287 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I only have positive things to say about all these cars (track and street driving) A big part of the decision is the cost of buying the car. However, contrary to car forums and the non stop "which car is better", etc., my experience is that people go in and out of cars and none of these cars are holds forever. Just a sample of people that I know who do street/track driving and their car buying history in the last 3 years (none of them are in the car industry, they are just enthusiasts).

Myself: 675 (sold), .1gt3rs (sold), 720, senna (sold), 600 LT

Neighbors: (non track people)
a) aventador sv roadster (sold), 488 (sold), 720s (sold), .1 gt3 (sold), gt2rs, pista
b) scud (sold), 458 spider, .2 gt3
c) 458 spider (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), performante
d) 570 (sold), performante (sold), 720s
e) 570 spider (sold), 570 gt
f) 650 (sold), cali t (sold), 488 (sold), 600 LT
g) aventador (sold), f12 (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), gt2rs, pista

Many more examples of the above

Others whom I track and are friends or acquiantences who I track with:

a) 650s (sold), .1 gt3rs (wrecked), .2 gt3rs (pending sale), 600 LT
b) .1 gt3 (sold), .2 gt3 (sold), 570 (sold), gt2rs (sold), .2 gt3rs
c) .1 gt3rs (sold), 600 LT (sold), gt2rs (incident and no longer around), 720s, .2 gt3rs
d) performante (pending sale), .2gt3rs (sold), 600 LT
e) .1 gt3rs (sold), Many ferrari's bought and sold, 720s (sold), 720 spider, pista
f) 720s, gt2rs
g) .1 gt3 (sold), 570s (sold), .2 gt3rs

The above examples are the typical type of people who own these cars and not what you see people fighting about, spewing fake news on car forums.
------ Many other such people I know who fit the above profiles. None of these cars are hold forever cars.
That’s a hell of a neighborhood. Wow!!
911Vintage (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver

I recently test-drove 600LT and was amazed with how much of a racing car feel the 600LT has. The downsides for me are:
- It will very likely attract too much attention on the streets. But at the same time it will attract far less attention than Ferraris and Lambos.
- I am not sure about reliability of Mclarens
- It looks like if using the car a lot putting a lot of milage, it will depreciate like a rock. I have put 25 000 km on my GT3 for 18 months and I would want a new car to use in a similar way.
maybe a little less, but I doubt any McLaren attracts “far less attention than Ferraris and Lambos”

mclaren reliability far worse than Porsche, particularly for a track driven car.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

mclaren reliability far worse than Porsche, particularly for a track driven car.
I have not personally seen any indication of McLaren unreliability at track events, but yesyoucan could bring more experience to the discussion, since he has run quite a number of track days in various McLarens.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:32 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
I have not personally seen any indication of McLaren unreliability at track events, but yesyoucan could bring more experience to the discussion, since he has run quite a number of track days in various McLarens.
The "reliability/unreliability" topic is pretty boring and seems to be on people's fact sheets to spew uninformed opinions on things they have very little knowledge/experience with.

I gave a very small sample of people whom I track with and the cars that they have gone in and out of in the last 3 years or so. They are the typical buyers/users of these cars and are under represented on car forums (some of them are on these forums but they don't engage this type of banter). The people with the more vocal opinions on car forums don't have the credibility with others outside these forums. An example of this was the last track day at Buttonwillow. One of the frequent provacateurs on these forums about ADM's, laughing at porsche dealers, laughing at car values going down, etc. was sitting all by his lonesome beside his car with no one to talk to or even spew his online opinions in person (no one would care about it anyways). If he even tried that type of discussion with people at the track day then he would have been summarily dismissed and isolated.

One can do economical tracking (drive your car same day to the track and back). However, many do not do this for various reasons (carrying spares/parts/supplies in trailers, staying overnight, set up coaching, take a day off work, etc.). People don't want there day to end early if they have put in $$$ to the track day. Sometimes things go wrong (all types of cars and people go home early).

In the miles I detailed above; Only one time did 720s go into limp mode (and that is with 5,000 track miles) and that was due to a spark plug issue. Other times there might have been those fyi CEL's. (fuel temperature not met that is informational only and you just wipe out the code and carry on). The guy who did the 1:49 lap time in his 720s at Buttonwillow has 17K miles on his car and his miles are mainly driving to the track, tracking and going back home. Same thing with the pista that was there. He has 12K miles on his car and its the same thing. Driving to the track, tracking, driving back home.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
A lot of useful info in this thread (and also the “Mclaren Success” thread). I appreciate all the sharing of opinions and real-life experiences with the McLaren brand. As a long-time GT3/GT4 owner, I’m pretty familiar with the Porsche brand and everything that comes with it (i.e., known issues, service, warranty, depreciation). Since McLaren is a rarer and more exotic brand, it’s tough to get a “real” feel for what I’d be getting into if I purchased a 675LT or 720S. Apart from YouTube, McLarenLife forums, and this thread, are there any other sources for McLaren info?

Porsche and Ferrari have regular “cars and coffee” meet ups, but I haven’t found any similar Mac meetups where I can get up-close to these cars. I’m in Palos Verdes (SoCal), so the nearest dealer is a bit of a drive… and I’m not sure how friendly/willing they’d be to let me sit in their cars or even get a test drive.
I'm kind of surprised that you haven't been able to meet up with Mac specific people or your ferrari/porsche group doesn't have some owners that also have a Mac. Some of the Mac owners tell me that there is nothing special about owning a Mac down in Newport because they are everywhere.

I live in Norcal and know quite a few exotic owners in SoCal. The only event that I have gone to down there was the monthly cars and coffee event at Lamborghini Newport (also owned by Mclaren newport). They hold it monthly and they have very good attendance of all types of cars. That might be a good place to go and ask. O'gara in beverly hills sponsors an event and I think O'gara in San Diego does too.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
That’s a hell of a neighborhood. Wow!!
My thought exactly.
cadster (01-11-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:17 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
As someone who has a 19 GT3RS and a 675LT spider and has driven a 600LT here is my view:

Get a 675LT spider. Words cannot describe how special it feels in both looks and driving it with the top down on a nice day. It looks and feels much more special than a 600lt and I prefer it over the gt3rs as well. MAYBE I would prefer the GT3RS for track duty but ...

I don’t track my exotic cars because I have a dedicated racecar and believe you are putting quite a bit at risk re both damage and depreciation to push street cars to the limit on track when you are a very advanced driver. Not to mention safety.

Thus, my view is if you are to a point you are doing 6-8 track weekends a year, you should consider also getting a spec boxster as a dedicated track car. Most competitive class, safer, very inexpensive in all regards and Effectively worry free.

This is right on with every point. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:18 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
This is right on with every point. Took the words right out of my mouth.
At some point I might consider a dedicated track car, but I don't have any plans to race in the near future. I'd like to be able to enjoy my next car on the road too, knowing it will never be ideal for the track. I'm 6'4" 245 lbs. and don't think I'd fit too well in a boxster, although I'm sure there is more room in the spec boxter. This is what I think is going to make sense for me now. However, after a couple years I see myself getting into new cars as I seem to have fun trying out new and different things.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
As someone who has a 19 GT3RS and a 675LT spider and has driven a 600LT here is my view:

Get a 675LT spider. Words cannot describe how special it feels in both looks and driving it with the top down on a nice day. It looks and feels much more special than a 600lt and I prefer it over the gt3rs as well. MAYBE I would prefer the GT3RS for track duty but ...

I don’t track my exotic cars because I have a dedicated racecar and believe you are putting quite a bit at risk re both damage and depreciation to push street cars to the limit on track when you are a very advanced driver. Not to mention safety.

Thus, my view is if you are to a point you are doing 6-8 track weekends a year, you should consider also getting a spec boxster as a dedicated track car. Most competitive class, safer, very inexpensive in all regards and Effectively worry free.

I did some test days with a racing Cayman GT4 and then participated in several 4 hour endurance races with this Cayman. And after that I did several test days with 911 cup. What a car! That was a mistake as I don’t want to drive Cayman anymore despite it is also a racing car. 911 cup is just a completely different animal. And at the same time 911 cup is too expensive for me if doing necessary number of test days and then participate in races.

As a result, I am doing sometimes track days with my road legal car not expecting anything extraordinary from it but just for fun. If I could afford myself spending $160K a year driving a racing car, I would definitely go with 911 cup and would leave my road legal car for streets.

An that is why reliability of my road car on the track is important to me. Because I push it hard once I am on a racetrack.

Quick Reply: '19 GT3RS or 600LT for fun and 6-8 Track weekends/yr.