Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1:33.0 at Laguna Seca 991.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks again, all. I'm glad I was able to capture this. I almost didn't bother turning on the camera and I even had to reset the aim solo during the 2nd warm up lap. I almost didnt, thinking I was just doing gentle warmup laps. The car was feeling really good and so was I, so I went for it. Glad I captured it all.

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Wicked laps Joe, especially when you consider it was on street tires, I had some friends from Quebec, Canada (running slicks) out there for their first time and said there were a few cars flying out there...with you being one of them. Hope they weren't holding you up while they learned the track. You'll have to make a trip East one day to see our great tracks.
Thanks. There was plenty of open space during the event and all the drivers were courteous. Your friends were great! There was one driver in a red Ferrari that was driving his mirror as I came up on him and he drove straight off at T4. I was worried he was gonna try to save it and hook it into a wall, but he did the smart thing and continued to drive straight and brought the car gently back on. Glad he did. Most cars lost at laguna are at T4.

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-03-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:35 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Nice video, the only way to improve is seat time and repetition. The more you race at laguna seca the more you learn each corner and the limits. You'll get faster each time that's for sure. Didn't Randy Pobst run the RS at laguna?
Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 AM
ringzero
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Great lap, great driving, congrats! Hoping to get to Laguna next year and videos like this are priceless! (Where I won’t be going for 1:33s, lol!)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have no idea what dunlop recommends. I just know that, for me, the car is fastest when the rear tire pressures are between 36-38psi. Any lower, and the back end 'binds' instead of slipping when at the limit. Slip angle is faster.
Hey, whatever makes the car go faster!
Old 11-04-2019, 12:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Nice video, the only way to improve is seat time and repetition. The more you race at laguna seca the more you learn each corner and the limits. You'll get faster each time that's for sure. Didn't Randy Pobst run the RS at laguna?
He did a 1:33.29 in a .1RS
Old 11-04-2019, 07:11 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

crazy fast

when i went there in 2004-2005 with my e36 m3 anything under 2min was considered fast and anything under 1:50 was crazy fast

now street tire 911 does 1:3x nuts
Old 11-04-2019, 11:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

For anyone who thrives on data like I do, here is an overlay of my 2 best laps. A 1:33.0 and a 1:33.2. The first row is speed, 2nd is throttle position, 3rd is brake pressure, 4th is time delta between the 2 laps.

From a per corner perspective, I did most of the corners better on the 1:33.2 lap. The big difference was carrying more speed from the prior lap exit at T11, braking later for T2, and exiting T9 faster in the 1:33.0 lap.
In the 1:33.2 lap I was:
.05 faster in T2 from a better exit
.05 faster in T3 by carrying more speed at apex and not hesitating on throttle on exit
.1 faster in T4 by entering faster with less brake and exiting faster
.1 faster in T5 from faster exit
.1 faster in T6 from 84mph apex instead of 80mph
.1 faster in T10 by getting on the throttle sooner.

That's .5 seconds there. I'll have to make a video of the 1:33.2 lap and study that. Combine the best of both and you've got a solid mid 1:32 lap time. Crazy. More practice needed!

Old 11-05-2019, 12:39 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Nice driving! That is mega-quick. What do you think you're doing differently compared to your driving from a year or two ago? Edit: I'm noticing softer feet when getting off the brake as you guide the car into the corner.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
Nice driving! That is mega-quick. What do you think you're doing differently compared to your driving from a year or two ago? Edit: I'm noticing softer feet when getting off the brake as you guide the car into the corner.
Thanks, Keith.

Using more of the track
Less sawing of the wheel and working on smoother inputs (Serge is crazy good with this)
Trail braking (better, but I think this is what I need to work on the most still) - Reassuring that you noticed! Thanks!
Comfortable with dropping wheels off and car control when it breaks loose (thanks, spec miata)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Smooth is fast still for me, any movement slows you down.
Well, in my head anyway. I guess you will squeeze out a 1:32 one day and to me it looks at that track in that car you’re at pro-level.

So, 1:32 Pobst in a .1 RS should mean even faster is possible with a pro driver, new tires and ideal conditions in .2RS or was that a crazy hero lap?
Its a little mind bending how good these cars are and how few of the targeted customer base can actually get close to that limit..

A track day even just 10 - 15 years ago was so massively slower it’s amazing.
One has to wonder about young people getting into this hobby now and what this will all look like in another 15 years.
I guess there is a Tesla Plaid version testing on CUP R now at the Ring, not sure what the point is but Tesla has a little sports car coming out soon..
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Smooth is fast still for me, any movement slows you down.
Well, in my head anyway. I guess you will squeeze out a 1:32 one day and to me it looks at that track in that car you’re at pro-level.

So, 1:32 Pobst in a .1 RS should mean even faster is possible with a pro driver, new tires and ideal conditions in .2RS or was that a crazy hero lap?
Its a little mind bending how good these cars are and how few of the targeted customer base can actually get close to that limit..

A track day even just 10 - 15 years ago was so massively slower it’s amazing.
One has to wonder about young people getting into this hobby now and what this will all look like in another 15 years.
I guess there is a Tesla Plaid version testing on CUP R now at the Ring, not sure what the point is but Tesla has a little sports car coming out soon..
Thanks, man. Yup. Smooth is fast. No doubt.

Pobst did 1:33.29 in a .1RS, so I'm guessing he would do a 1:32.x in the .2RS.

I agree track days continue to get faster. 1:40.x when I first started was amazing. Look where we are now. Crazy

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
For anyone who thrives on data like I do, here is an overlay of my 2 best laps. A 1:33.0 and a 1:33.2. The first row is speed, 2nd is throttle position, 3rd is brake pressure, 4th is time delta between the 2 laps.

From a per corner perspective, I did most of the corners better on the 1:33.2 lap. The big difference was carrying more speed from the prior lap exit at T11, braking later for T2, and exiting T9 faster in the 1:33.0 lap.
In the 1:33.2 lap I was:
.05 faster in T2 from a better exit
.05 faster in T3 by carrying more speed at apex and not hesitating on throttle on exit
.1 faster in T4 by entering faster with less brake and exiting faster
.1 faster in T5 from faster exit
.1 faster in T6 from 84mph apex instead of 80mph
.1 faster in T10 by getting on the throttle sooner.

That's .5 seconds there. I'll have to make a video of the 1:33.2 lap and study that. Combine the best of both and you've got a solid mid 1:32 lap time. Crazy. More practice needed!

I've never done data but I have checked out most of your LS videos over the years and turn 8 really caught my eye in this one. I'm not sure I've seen you get thru the corkscrew that quickly in any of your other vids. Between the speed you carried and the way the car hooked up it looks like you just nailed it there on that lap.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:22 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice lap Joe, I like how much smoother you are looking. Can’t wait to try out my car on that track when I move to the west coast next year. Haven’t been close to track in a while!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDCR
I've never done data but I have checked out most of your LS videos over the years and turn 8 really caught my eye in this one. I'm not sure I've seen you get thru the corkscrew that quickly in any of your other vids. Between the speed you carried and the way the car hooked up it looks like you just nailed it there on that lap.
Earlier turn in. The earlier, the faster. You just need to make sure there is enough room at the exit. Miata turn in on corners is even earlier because you don't have to worry about power on exit pushing you wide.

Conditions definitely help too. For me, ideal is high 50s/low 60s and OVERCAST. Count on a PB on those days.

Originally Posted by anselmw
Nice lap Joe, I like how much smoother you are looking. Can’t wait to try out my car on that track when I move to the west coast next year. Haven’t been close to track in a while!
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

@orthojoe to give you an idea on your awesome lap, here is Randy in the Viper ACR-Extreme. A 50/50 weight distribution, 640Hp, high torque car with more than double the downforce of a 991.2 GT3RS, and 7 times more downforce than a 991.2 GT3 at 177mph.

The Viper ACR-E has a tire that sticks better than the Dunlop, it is the Kumho V720-ACR edition. The first batches of these tires had a 20TW rating, then they were re-stamped to 200TW. The tire is banned from SCCA and NASA where other 200TW tires are allowed, and the Viper DE drivers that switched to Hoosier R7 were running about the same lap times as the OEM Kumho-ACR.

Look at the top speeds before T2, top speeds to T3, and top speeds to the corkscrew...

On R7, your driving would get you in the 1:31s, right there with one of the most track focused street cars ever made, the ACR and driven by none less that one of the fast Pros out there.

Quick Reply: 1:33.0 at Laguna Seca 991.2 RS