991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Buy a 997.2 RS and you have a more satisfying experience than any 991!
Get a Cup for laptimes.
I thought about both, but 997.2 RS has largely become a collector's car due to continuing value appreciation, and Cup has really high operating cost and needs trailering.

One of the bigger mistakes I've made in life is not buying a friend's 997 GT2 for about $130k several years ago.
The following users liked this post:
TheSilverFox (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I guess I'll chime in since I've owned both cars in question. I can see where manifold is coming from because I honestly have just as much fun trying to wring out a fast lap in my spec miata as I do in my .2RS. If you're there to challenge yourself and get the most out of the car, I'm not sure it really matters what car you are in as long as it's a well sorted/setup car. From that standpoint, NEITHER the .1 or .2RS is justifiable and you should just get a spec miata. Now, if you have to pick one, yes, the RS is better in every objective way. But, the sound and the feel are very similar indeed. It's a porsche. The lizard green and the big wing makes it feel like more of a special car, but that is totally subjective. Get what you like. None of these cars can be justified. I'm still happy that I moved up to a .2RS.
This ^

No question the .2 3RS is faster than a .1 GT3 apples to apples. To try and argue otherwise makes you look silly.

However, isn’t it more about YOU and improving your skills rather than just putting your butt in a faster car? Sure, you will be faster in a faster car but it’s more the car than you in most cases.

We all get sucked in to getting the next best. Perhaps the answer is getting better to the point you are maximizing what you already have. Once there then move on to the faster car. My 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer
This ^

No question the .2 3RS is faster than a .1 GT3 apples to apples. To try and argue otherwise makes you look silly.

However, isn’t it more about YOU and improving your skills rather than just putting your butt in a faster car? Sure, you will be faster in a faster car but it’s more the car than you in most cases.

We all get sucked in to getting the next best. Perhaps the answer is getting better to the point you are maximizing what you already have. Once there then move on to the faster car. My 2 cents.
Again, no one is arguing that the RS isn’t faster. The question is how much faster, and we have a pretty good estimate of the answer.

My rule of thumb has been that you’re only allowed to upgrade the car or tires if your lap time is currently within 1.5-2 secs of pros (per minute of lap time) with your current car/tires. Many drivers will take a long time to reach that point in a Porsche GT car, and some will never get there.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ Good point :-)

Or when the warranty runs out ;-)
Manifold (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ Good point :-)

Or when the warranty runs out ;-)
Thanks! 👍
Old 11-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Put the .2 RS Springs in the .1 GT3 and give it a proper alignment. Helps so much with confidence and stability on track, especially under braking and turn in. Also, sport mode is not overdamped anymore. Normal mode a little underdamped maybe but nice for street driving.

I drove .2 GT3 back to back with my .1 GT3 and was impressed by the ride stability and underwhelmed by the engine and sounds. The new one has better tech and more torgue for sure. But the 3.8 revs nicer, sounds better and the power delivery (nothing below 5k and explosion then) feels more like a racecar.
Would be nice to drive a .2 RS on the track. But didn't had the chance by now.
Manifold (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Put the .2 RS Springs in the .1 GT3 and give it a proper alignment. Helps so much with confidence and stability on track, especially under braking and turn in. Also, sport mode is not overdamped anymore. Normal mode a little underdamped maybe but nice for street driving.

I drove .2 GT3 back to back with my .1 GT3 and was impressed by the ride stability and underwhelmed by the engine and sounds. The new one has better tech and more torgue for sure. But the 3.8 revs nicer, sounds better and the power delivery (nothing below 5k and explosion then) feels more like a racecar.
Would be nice to drive a .2 RS on the track. But didn't had the chance by now.
Interesting idea on the springs. I love the suspension of the .1 GT3 on every track except my home track, Summit Point, where the car is a handful under heavy braking in the fast bumpy braking zones. I plan to try the DSC box next season, and may play with the springs also. Do the .2 RS springs go straight into the .1 GT3 with no mods needed?

I also drove a .2 GT3 on track back to back with my .1 GT3 and my impression was very similar to yours. I didn't notice much difference in power or shifting, and I like the sound and looks of the .1 better. The handling of the .2 was better in the sense of the car being more composed and significantly easier to drive, but at the expense of feeling more refined and less raw and engaging. The .2 is an upgrade for lap time, but I can't really say it's an upgrade for enjoyment.

This whole discussion puts me on the edge of my seat waiting for the 992 GT3. I hope they won't go in the direction of making it more refined.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-05-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree with the OP, every 991 GT3 PDK feels similar, it's just that some produce faster lap times.

If you're not chasing a lap time, like running Time Trials (which is a great spot for these cars) and just doing track days for fun, a 991.2 GT3RS, a 991.1 GT3, and anything in between would be as much fun.

I had a recent drive in a 2019 GT3 on street tires and my 2019 GT3RS on Hoosiers, big difference in grip levels, plus my car has the Dundon headers/airbox/plenum/TB/quiet-exhaust and runs 150 lbs lighter than the GT3 I drove (due to Antigravity battery, PCCB and lighter exhaust), and both cars were fun, one was faster than the other, but you cannot have no fun with a 991.1 GT3, it is a similar experience.

The 997 GT3RS has lower mechanical grip, a nicer steering feel, but its damping is not the best and I don't think I had as much fun in that car as I do with the 991 platform. The 997 felt slow, lots of cars would walk away from it in straight line and that's no longer fun when you can't make a pass on a Mustang or Camaro. The 991 sticks better, and with higher corner speeds come higher exit speeds, it is geared shorter and closer too, the PDK shifts make-up time, and its engine has a nice power delivery at the top end, so few cars walk away from it on the racetracks straights, it keeps up with the latest Viper/Vette with 150+ hp and twice the torque.

I have posted a few times, the best value today for a street legal track day car with a warranty is a 991.1 GT3. The second best: a 991.1 GT3RS.

997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, we don't see them anymore. 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 are missing too.
The following 3 users liked this post by A/S:
fjpdds (11-06-2019), jb997 (06-29-2022), Manifold (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I traded up to the RS out of vanity, mostly. Because when I go to an HPDE, but don't time myself, I can THINK that I'm faster.

And regarding A/S's comment just above...It's pretty dang impressive how fast the newer Mustangs and Camaros have become. A decade ago, I ran at MSR Houston in my Exige. Was with some Cobra Owners Club down there. They had a couple spots open and put an invitation on our Lotus forum. One of my Lotus buddies and I decided to go. A couple of guys in stock, naturally aspirated Exiges, with like 180HP at the crank, making time on all the modded Mustang Cobras, GT500s, or whatever else they had (I don't really keep up with all the Mustang models). We could catch and pass them all easily. They would pull a couple car lengths on a long straight, but we could more than make that up in braking and through the turns.

But now, a decade later? Some of these American muscle cars are freakishly fast. Their track capabilities, for the money they cost, are very impressive.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting idea on the springs. I love the suspension of the .1 GT3 on every track except my home track, Summit Point, where the car is a handful under heavy braking in the fast bumpy braking zones. I plan to try the DSC box next season, and may play with the springs also. Do the .2 RS springs go straight into the .1 GT3 with no mods needed?

I also drove a .2 GT3 on track back to back with my .1 GT3 and my impression was very similar to yours. I didn't notice much difference in power or shifting, and I like the sound and looks of the .1 better. The handling of the .2 was better in the sense of the car being more composed and significantly easier to drive, but at the expense of feeling more refined and less raw and engaging. The .2 is an upgrade for lap time, but I can't really say it's an upgrade for enjoyment.

This whole discussion puts me on the edge of my seat waiting for the 992 GT3. I hope they won't go in the direction of making it more refined.
I think every iteration will get a little more refined.- some will welcome it and some will not. I also found the .1 GT3 engine to feel more raw but less linear in my opinion. The 4.0 definitely has more more torque which makes it more fun for Daily driving and is very smooth but I welcome that characteristic. It is one heck of a motor and looking forward to how it evolves from here.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It goes in without hassle and works fine with the factory dampers, PASM and lift. Also have a DSC Module and kicked it out. With the new springs you get a firm but reactive and stable ride with the stock PASM controller.

What you need depends a bit on your car. All 991 GT3 upon End 2015 use helper springs in the rear (same like .2 RS). So you need only the new main spring for the rear. GT3 RS or .2 GT3 need the helper spring and the spacer in addition, because they don't have helpers from factory.
At the front you need the new main spring, helper spring and spacer (regardless if its a .1 GT3 / RS or .2 GT3). But .1 GT3 also had slightly different spring seat. You should change that to the version they used from 2016 to gain 1.5cm of travel. Otherwise your car would come a little higher.
If you plan to do it - just send me photos, I can check it for you. Know all the parts, versions and numbers very well now

I had not much travel for lowering left at stock. Now its even less. Car is about 3mm lower than from factory and about 2-3mm of travel left at the front. but perfect for me and drives very nice.
Manifold (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
I traded up to the RS out of vanity, mostly. Because when I go to an HPDE, but don't time myself, I can THINK that I'm faster.

And regarding A/S's comment just above...It's pretty dang impressive how fast the newer Mustangs and Camaros have become. A decade ago, I ran at MSR Houston in my Exige. Was with some Cobra Owners Club down there. They had a couple spots open and put an invitation on our Lotus forum. One of my Lotus buddies and I decided to go. A couple of guys in stock, naturally aspirated Exiges, with like 180HP at the crank, making time on all the modded Mustang Cobras, GT500s, or whatever else they had (I don't really keep up with all the Mustang models). We could catch and pass them all easily. They would pull a couple car lengths on a long straight, but we could more than make that up in braking and through the turns.

But now, a decade later? Some of these American muscle cars are freakishly fast. Their track capabilities, for the money they cost, are very impressive.
S197 Mustangs are no joke and the S550 chassis Mustangs are even faster.
These two run mid 56's and 58's respectively at Lime Rock and 2:05's at Watkins and 2:10's respectively. These two have no problem keeping Exiges in the rear view.

Not all Mustangs are confined to doing stupid stunts at C&C's.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Once you’re on the Porsche wheel it’s tough to get off. Every incremental (and that’s really all they are) improvement car by car does improve performance. But at a cost - relative of course to your wallet.

My advice:
- come to grips that DE isn’t a race, it’s you against the track (for fun)
- all of these are awesome cars but none are race cars
- spend money on coaching and safety equipment before switching cars
- if none of that works consider buying a purpose built race car, it will change your attitude toward your street cars and quite possibly save you money

Note: I went from .1GT3 to .1RS to .2GT3 so who the heck am I to say!!!
This comment it right on. No street car compares to a purpose built track car. For me, my 675LT is hands down the best street car I have ever driven in the track. But the experience my track prepped M3 gives on the track blows away the Mac. Same goes for a Cup, there is no other experience like it. Street cars are street cars, race cars are race cars.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jgorscak
This comment it right on. No street car compares to a purpose built track car. For me, my 675LT is hands down the best street car I have ever driven in the track. But the experience my track prepped M3 gives on the track blows away the Mac. Same goes for a Cup, there is no other experience like it. Street cars are street cars, race cars are race cars.
Yup. Nuff said

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track